Garmin nuvi 350 to TH7D7A

  • n0uyx
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 26, 2008
      Has anyone tried this? Or nuvi 350 to Tracker2? Or similar? I have the
      cable from Argent Data but I can't seem to get any data flow.

      TNX
      DE NØUYX
      Randall
    • n0uyx
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
        TH-D7A rather!!!

        My Bad.

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried this? Or nuvi 350 to Tracker2? Or similar? I have
        the
        > cable from Argent Data but I can't seem to get any data flow.
        >
        > TNX
        > DE NØUYX
        > Randall

      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
          Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was thinking of making it available to us.

          73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

          > > Has anyone tried this? Or nuvi 350 to Tracker2? Or
          > similar? I have
          > the
          > > cable from Argent Data but I can't seem to get any
          > data flow.
          > >
          > > TNX
          > > DE NØUYX
          > > Randall

        • n0uyx
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
            Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
            <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

            > Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was
            thinking of making it available to us.

            > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

          • n0uyx
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
              OK I got it now. I see it is to run in cunjunction with the Tracker 2
              only.

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                Plugging the stock Garmin fleet management cable into a nuvi or
                StreetPilot gives you a 9600 baud, Garmin-proprietary binary interface.
                The TH-D7A can't use it directly. The only APRS device (to my
                knowledge) that can use it is the Tracker2.

                You could use the TH-D7A with a T2, but it'd be a bit of a waste, since
                you'd be bypassing the internal TNC.

                I'm also working on a protocol converter that'll let the D7, D700, D710,
                and anything else that speaks NMEA connect to a nuvi or StreetPilot.
                The first batch of what I hope is the final board revision is due in
                next week. Assembling a few prototypes is going to be interesting - I
                haven't tried manual soldering of QFN packages before. Assuming all
                goes well, I should have some beta test units available in about two weeks.

                This project is not to be confused with another kit I mentioned on this
                list - I'll be selling a mini-kit that'll take the place of the Garmin
                FMI cable, but cheaper. That'll still only be usable for the Tracker2.

                Scott

                n0uyx wrote:

                > Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?
                >
                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "P.
                > Suryono Adisoemarta"
                > <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was
                > thinking of making it available to us.
                > >
                > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

              • n0uyx
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                  AWESOME DUDE!!!!

                  Sounds good. So the Garmin default BPS is 9600? For a nuvi 350 that
                  is?

                  > Plugging the stock Garmin fleet management cable into a nuvi or
                  > StreetPilot gives you a 9600 baud, Garmin-proprietary binary
                  interface.
                  > The TH-D7A can't use it directly. The only APRS device (to my
                  > knowledge) that can use it is the Tracker2.
                  >
                  > You could use the TH-D7A with a T2, but it'd be a bit of a waste,
                  since
                  > you'd be bypassing the internal TNC.
                  >
                  > I'm also working on a protocol converter that'll let the D7, D700,
                  D710,
                  > and anything else that speaks NMEA connect to a nuvi or
                  StreetPilot.
                  > The first batch of what I hope is the final board revision is due
                  in
                  > next week. Assembling a few prototypes is going to be interesting -
                  > haven't tried manual soldering of QFN packages before. Assuming
                  all
                  > goes well, I should have some beta test units available in about
                  two weeks.

                  > This project is not to be confused with another kit I mentioned on
                  this
                  > list - I'll be selling a mini-kit that'll take the place of the
                  Garmin
                  > FMI cable, but cheaper. That'll still only be usable for the
                  Tracker2.

                  > Scott
                  >
                  > n0uyx wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?
                  > >
                  > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                  40yahoogroups.com>, "P.
                  > > Suryono Adisoemarta"
                  > > <yono_adisoemarta@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was
                  > > thinking of making it available to us.
                  > > >
                  > > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

                • n0uyx
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                    OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
                    connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
                    Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?

                  • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008

                      Scott,

                      Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.

                      Thanks

                      Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                      n0uyx wrote:

                      > Oh OK I see. So what is this nuvi 300 series cable for?
                      >
                      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com
                      <mailto:tracker2% 40yahoogroups. com>, "P.
                      > Suryono Adisoemarta"
                      > <yono_adisoemarta@ ...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Must wait for the FMI sentence converter kit, that Scott was
                      > thinking of making it available to us.
                      > >
                      > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

                    • J. Lance Cotton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                        on 8/27/2008 13:08 Peter Dakota Summerhawk said the following:
                        > Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off
                        > eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.

                        Tracker2 is the same as OT2, OT2m, and nearly any other variation of the
                        opentracker and "2".

                        -Lance

                        --
                        J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
                        joe@...
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                          Yes, for most Garmins that's the only baud rate in their native mode.
                          Again, not much speaks that protocol directly. The converter will put
                          out NMEA at 4800 baud.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                            Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also, check
                            your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2, yellow on
                            pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi through
                            the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                              There are two (production) versions of the Tracker2 - the OT2m
                              (standalone, in a metal case) and the T2-135, which goes in the Alinco
                              DR-135. So yes, the OT2m is a Tracker2.

                              Scott

                              Peter Dakota Summerhawk wrote:

                              > Scott,
                              >
                              > Is the tracker2 the same as the OTM2? I was looking ad got a Nuvi off
                              > eBay for a song and wanted to use it for the tracker in the car.
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                            • n0uyx
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                                updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                                connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                                an effect on it.

                                > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                                check
                                > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                                yellow on
                                > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                                through
                                > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                                >
                                > Scott
                                >
                                > n0uyx wrote:
                                > >

                                > > OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
                                > > connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
                                > > Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?
                                > >
                                > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                                40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > > "n0uyx" <n0uyx@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > AWESOME DUDE!!!!
                                > > >
                                > > > Sounds good. So the Garmin default BPS is 9600? For a nuvi 350
                                that
                                > > > is?
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                                40yahoogroups.com>,

                                > > > interface.

                                > > > since

                                > > D700,
                                > > > D710,
                                > > > StreetPilot.
                                > > > in
                                > > interesting -
                                Assuming
                                > > > all
                                > > > two weeks.

                                > > on
                                > > > this
                                > > > Garmin
                                > > > Tracker2.

                                > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                                > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, "P.

                              • Patrick
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                  The FMI cable needs to be plugged into the *side* of the gps. Power
                                  should be plugged into the connector on the back of the mount. as you
                                  require external power in order for the fmi cable to be enabled (it
                                  bitches annoyingly if its not there)... I found I had to manually set
                                  Garmin mode/9600 for port A in order to get things to work... this may
                                  be just me though.

                                  n0uyx wrote:
                                  > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                                  > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                                  > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                                  > an effect on it.

                                • n0uyx
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                    AH OK got cha!

                                    TNX

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                      It should at least give you the dispatch menu if it's communicating. Oh
                                      yeah, since this is a T2-135, make sure you've got profile switching
                                      disabled. That's caused a few headaches. Could be AMODE isn't really
                                      GARMIN when you think it is.

                                      I'll try grabbing the latest nuvi firmware tomorrow. Didn't get a heck
                                      of a lot done today. Had a freight delivery and someone shoved the
                                      warehouse door up to let the forklift in, and the door ran off its
                                      tracks on one side and dang near came down completely. I was afraid I'd
                                      be stuck in the office all night waiting for the repair guys, but they
                                      got there and fixed it up in a couple of hours.

                                      Scott

                                      n0uyx wrote:

                                      > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                                      > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using the
                                      > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to have
                                      > an effect on it.

                                      > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                                      > check
                                      > > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                                      > yellow on
                                      > > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                                      > through
                                      > > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                                      > >
                                      > > Scott
                                      > >
                                      > > n0uyx wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > OK can't I use the DB-9 connector on the back of the DR-135 to
                                      > > > connect to a nuvi 350? I just have to set port A to Garmin and
                                      > > > Autobaud? I can't seem to get it to work. What else did I miss?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      > <mailto:tracker2%
                                      > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                      > that

                                      > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                                      > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                      > or

                                      > waste,

                                      > > > D700,
                                      > is due
                                      > > > interesting -
                                      > Assuming
                                      > about

                                      > mentioned
                                      > > > on
                                      > the

                                      > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      > > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%

                                      > was

                                    • n0uyx
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                        Always fun at the shop huh?

                                        Have a good one tomorrow and 73.
                                        TNX
                                        Randall

                                        > It should at least give you the dispatch menu if it's
                                        communicating. Oh
                                        > yeah, since this is a T2-135, make sure you've got profile
                                        switching
                                        > disabled. That's caused a few headaches. Could be AMODE isn't
                                        really
                                        > GARMIN when you think it is.
                                        >
                                        > I'll try grabbing the latest nuvi firmware tomorrow. Didn't get a
                                        heck
                                        > of a lot done today. Had a freight delivery and someone shoved the
                                        > warehouse door up to let the forklift in, and the door ran off its
                                        > tracks on one side and dang near came down completely. I was
                                        afraid I'd
                                        > be stuck in the office all night waiting for the repair guys, but
                                        they
                                        > got there and fixed it up in a couple of hours.
                                        >
                                        > Scott
                                        >
                                        > n0uyx wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > I wonder if lastest software for the nuvi 350 maybe a problem? I
                                        > > updated it a few days ago. I have it wired correctly and am using
                                        the
                                        > > connection on the back of the suction cup mount. Doesn't seem to
                                        have
                                        > > an effect on it.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
                                        40yahoogroups.com>,
                                        > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Yes, you can. Make sure you've got the latest firmware. Also,
                                        > > check
                                        > > > your wiring. For the T2-135 you want the white wire on pin 2,
                                        > > yellow on
                                        > > > pin 3, and black on pin 5. Make sure you're powering the nuvi
                                        > > through
                                        > > > the rear USB port (the one on the clip-on mount.)
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Scott

                                        > > <mailto:tracker2%
                                        > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                        > > that

                                        > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%
                                        > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                                        > > or

                                        > > waste,

                                        D7,
                                        > > is due
                                        > > Assuming
                                        > > about

                                        > > mentioned
                                        > > the

                                        > > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        Scott
                                        > > was

                                      • n0uyx
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                          I got it! It likes Garmin 9600 on port A better!

                                          TNX Scott and all who answered!!

                                          DE NØUYX
                                          Randall

                                        • n0uyx
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 27, 2008
                                            WOW this is AWESOME!!! As good as AV MAP as far as I can tell!!!

                                            Thanks again!!!

                                          • Peter Dakota Summerhawk
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 4, 2008

                                              Scott,

                                              I have this for my Elcom to get it to work with APRSPoint in the TNC file and it does work:

                                              HEADERLN OFF

                                              MCOM OFF

                                              MONITOR ON

                                              GPSMON ON

                                              KISS ON

                                              My question is will this set work with the OT2M? Will it accept the commands for the unit to be able to use it with APRSPoint?

                                              Let me know can you?

                                              Thanks

                                              Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 4, 2008
                                                Not quite, if you're trying to get it into KISS mode. AMODE KISS sets
                                                port A to KISS mode, and it'll stay there. The manual has instructions
                                                for UI-View32, should be the same for APRSPoint.

                                                Scott

                                                Peter Dakota Summerhawk wrote:

                                                > Scott,
                                                >
                                                > I have this for my Elcom to get it to work with APRSPoint in the TNC
                                                > file and it does work:
                                                >
                                                > HEADERLN OFF
                                                >
                                                > MCOM OFF
                                                >
                                                > MONITOR ON
                                                >
                                                > GPSMON ON
                                                >
                                                > KISS ON
                                                >

                                                > My question is will this set work with the OT2M? Will it accept the
                                                > commands for the unit to be able to use it with APRSPoint?
                                                >

                                                > Let me know can you?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks
                                                >
                                                > Peter Summerhawk-N0WRE

                                              • Clay Jackson
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 6, 2008
                                                  Scott and the group -

                                                  I've just moved a fairly new (about a year old) T2-135 from my
                                                  daughter's truck, where it was transmit only; into my car with a
                                                  Nuvi-350 and it seems to be transmitting fine; but seems to be deaf -
                                                  the only location I see is my own (N7QNM-9; see below) I'm wondering
                                                  if I have a board that needs to be reflowed?

                                                  The way I have it configured right now, the Nuvi is on the DB9 and
                                                  on the front panel plug is a Deluo GPS; thinking that I'm not always
                                                  gonna be running the Nuvi. I've got profile switching set to occur
                                                  when I'm stopped, and then profile 2 is set to beacon every 15
                                                  minutes. One of the 'interesting' things that's happening right now
                                                  is that I'm seeing myself show up as a fixed location every 15
                                                  minutes. It appears as if the second profile kicks in, and then the
                                                  Nuvi sees what I've just transmitted as a different station - does
                                                  this make any sense? Is there a better way to do this, so that when
                                                  the Nuvi's plugged in, I get all of it's features; but when it's NOT,
                                                  the other GPS 'takes over'.

                                                  Thanks in advance!

                                                  Clay
                                                  N7QNM