GPS & WS2317 & OT2 beacon query

  • jjbauerly
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
      Hello all;

      I am trying t setup a 'mobile wx' station. The goal is to drive to
      location then from a stationary posistion beacon out current wx data.
      So far I have the set-up kind of working using the GPS on port A and
      the WS-2317 on port B. I have been monitoring the setup with the home
      ui-view/D700 setup. I am seeing the mobile show as car at one time
      frame then a wx station the next. This is confusing. I am not sure if
      it the timing setup with the tracker 2 or the network. The questions
      are how to beacon wx data every time for a ui-view setup to recognize,
      can the beacon interval be separate or separte from port A and port B,
      and can a beacon be forced with the tracker 2.

      I have also notice bogus info transmitted with the absense of the
      anemometer being connected. Though it will normally be connected, this
      did not seem right.

      I am using the lastest firmaware.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
        The alternating symbol thing is because the only way in the APRS spec to
        indicate that a packet is a weather report is to give it a weather symbol.

        Right now there's no way to separate the WX beacon from the position
        beacon. You can force a beacon with the BEACON command.

        I've got no idea what the WS-2317 might report with the anemometer
        disconnected. What does it show?

        Scott

        jjbauerly wrote:

        > Hello all;
        >
        > I am trying t setup a 'mobile wx' station. The goal is to drive to
        > location then from a stationary posistion beacon out current wx data.
        > So far I have the set-up kind of working using the GPS on port A and
        > the WS-2317 on port B. I have been monitoring the setup with the home
        > ui-view/D700 setup. I am seeing the mobile show as car at one time
        > frame then a wx station the next. This is confusing. I am not sure if
        > it the timing setup with the tracker 2 or the network. The questions
        > are how to beacon wx data every time for a ui-view setup to recognize,
        > can the beacon interval be separate or separte from port A and port B,
        > and can a beacon be forced with the tracker 2.
        >
        > I have also notice bogus info transmitted with the absense of the
        > anemometer being connected. Though it will normally be connected, this
        > did not seem right.
        >
        > I am using the lastest firmaware.

      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
          Scott,

          would it be possible to have a different callsign just for the WX beacon?
          thus:
          - regular ham callsign for beacon and when digi-ing
          - WX callsign just for WX beacons

          thanks,
          Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 24, 2008
            Hello Scott;

            The numbers appeared to be valid but random. The aanemometer was re-
            connected. Would disconnecting the GPS when on location help or would
            this loose location info.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
              It could be done... it'd mean some pretty significant changes, though,
              including configuration program changes. If there's much demand for it
              I can add it to the list.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2008
                Disconnecting the GPS shouldn't affect the weather data. If autosave is
                off, though, you'll lose the location information.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                  Hello Scott & all;

                  I spend a liitle time to see what was happening on the car/wx
                  alternating when displayed on UI-View. What I see on the record
                  screen is one line sending a position report followed by another line
                  giving a wx report.

                  NW0I-4>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI>:/311228z3852.72N/09448.09W> 13.5V
                  64F
                  NW0I-4>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI>:!
                  3852.72N/09448.09W_135/000g...t068P002h76b10135T2WX

                  My path is wide1-1,wide2-1. I see a wx symbol when the last digi
                  sends both lines (Actually the last one counts!). However sometimes
                  and from the same digi the last line does not get received. Now I get
                  the symbol on UI-View of the first line, a position ( a car). Since I
                  am out in an random location wide1-1 is used. It would be nice to
                  disable the position report (first line)and only send the wx beacon
                  when configured as a WX station with GPS. In my case GPS on A and WX
                  station on B. This way it is either wx info or nothing. At least this
                  way I will be able to show the last set of wx data on UI-View! Can
                  this be set or fixed with the current set of commands?

                  On another note, without the anemometer the WS2317 tends to show as
                  67degrees wind speed 35 most often.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2008
                    On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:23 AM, jjbauerly <nw0I@...> wrote:

                    > It would be nice to
                    > disable the position report (first line)and only send the wx beacon
                    > when configured as a WX station with GPS. In my case GPS on A and WX
                    > station on B. This way it is either wx info or nothing. At least this
                    > way I will be able to show the last set of wx data on UI-View! Can
                    > this be set or fixed with the current set of commands?

                    Could you not set up profile switching so that you only use the WX
                    settings when stationary? Use profile switching when the velocity is
                    less than 5 mph to only send WX reports.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2008
                      > am out in an random location wide1-1 is used. It would be nice to
                      > disable the position report (first line)and only send the wx beacon
                      > when configured as a WX station with GPS. In my case GPS on A and WX
                      > station on B. This way it is either wx info or nothing. At least this
                      > way I will be able to show the last set of wx data on UI-View! Can
                      > this be set or fixed with the current set of commands?

                      Not presently. I'd have to think about the best way to do that. Could
                      be just an ON/OFF option to disable position packets if weather data is
                      available. Any clever ideas for a command/option name?

                      Scott
                    • Randy Love
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
                        how about this?

                        WXONLY on|off     only sends WX information when enabled and WX data is available via a data port

                        simple, yet elegant

                        Randy
                        WF5X

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
                          Yeah, but what if you want telemetry only? Or weather plus telemetry?

                          Scott

                          Randy Love wrote:

                          > how about this?
                          >
                          > WXONLY on|off only sends WX information when enabled and WX data is
                          > available via a data port
                          >
                          > simple, yet elegant
                          >
                          > Randy
                          > WF5X
                          >

                          > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                          > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
                          >
                          > > am out in an random location wide1-1 is used. It would be nice to
                          > > disable the position report (first line)and only send the wx beacon
                          > > when configured as a WX station with GPS. In my case GPS on A and WX
                          > > station on B. This way it is either wx info or nothing. At least this
                          > > way I will be able to show the last set of wx data on UI-View! Can
                          > > this be set or fixed with the current set of commands?
                          >
                          > Not presently. I'd have to think about the best way to do that. Could
                          > be just an ON/OFF option to disable position packets if weather data is
                          > available. Any clever ideas for a command/option name?
                          >
                          > Scott

                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 4, 2008
                            Ah, well... that's a bit more complicated.. :)

                            Back to the thinking chair...

                            Randy Love wrote:

                            > how about this?
                            >
                            > WXONLY on|off only sends WX information when enabled and WX data is
                            > available via a data port
                            >
                            > simple, yet elegant
                            >
                            > Randy
                            > WF5X
                            >

                            > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                            > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
                            >
                            > > am out in an random location wide1-1 is used. It would be nice to
                            > > disable the position report (first line)and only send the wx beacon
                            > > when configured as a WX station with GPS. In my case GPS on A and WX
                            > > station on B. This way it is either wx info or nothing. At least this
                            > > way I will be able to show the last set of wx data on UI-View! Can
                            > > this be set or fixed with the current set of commands?
                            >
                            > Not presently. I'd have to think about the best way to do that. Could
                            > be just an ON/OFF option to disable position packets if weather data is
                            > available. Any clever ideas for a command/option name?
                            >
                            > Scott

                          • jjbauerly
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 5, 2008
                              Hello all;

                              I first thought of 'tncmode' then options for the various
                              configurations. Maybe it would be easier just to separate the beacon
                              controls per port. So as in this example one could gather the gps
                              data from port A but not beacon the position from port A. Port B is
                              the WX enable to beacon as a weather station. It may be more flexable
                              in other apps.