OUTPUT1 command/pin

  • stephencpeters
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2008
      Hello all,

      Has anyone worked with the OUTPUT1 command, which is stated as "not
      currently implemented" in the manual? I am hoping it (does or will
      sometime soon) simply controls the on/off of a logic line on the u-p.
      Any info folks have would be appreciated!

      -Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2008
        > Has anyone worked with the OUTPUT1 command, which is stated as "not
        > currently implemented" in the manual? I am hoping it (does or will
        > sometime soon) simply controls the on/off of a logic line on the u-p.
        > Any info folks have would be appreciated!

        The configuration bit was a throwback to the OT1 (it was the PTB2
        output). I believe it's completely disabled right now. Getting it
        working again shouldn't be too hard. I'd prefer to pick a pin that's
        not also an A/D input.

        Let's see... PTB0 on pin 16 of the MON08 header would work. It's also
        the I2C SDA line, but SCL is used for something else anyway so it's no
        good for I2C. Pins 1 or 3 could do it - they're also timer channel
        pins, no real loss there.

        I'd prefer to have one pin dedicated to that function. The problem with
        the output function on the OT1 was that there weren't enough pins to go
        around, and it had to be shared, which complicates profile switching.

        Scott
      • stephencpeters
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2008
          Scott,

          Your call about which hardware pin to connect it to on the OT2. A
          switchable output (in addition to the power switch) would be very very
          helpful. I can think of lots of applications...

          -Steve

          > > Has anyone worked with the OUTPUT1 command, which is stated as "not
          > > currently implemented" in the manual? I am hoping it (does or will
          > > sometime soon) simply controls the on/off of a logic line on the u-p.
          > > Any info folks have would be appreciated!
          >
          > The configuration bit was a throwback to the OT1 (it was the PTB2
          > output). I believe it's completely disabled right now. Getting it
          > working again shouldn't be too hard. I'd prefer to pick a pin that's
          > not also an A/D input.
          >
          > Let's see... PTB0 on pin 16 of the MON08 header would work. It's also
          > the I2C SDA line, but SCL is used for something else anyway so it's no
          > good for I2C. Pins 1 or 3 could do it - they're also timer channel
          > pins, no real loss there.
          >
          > I'd prefer to have one pin dedicated to that function. The problem
          with
          > the output function on the OT1 was that there weren't enough pins to go
          > around, and it had to be shared, which complicates profile switching.
          >
          > Scott

        • Dion
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
            I wonder was there any more of an outcome to this?

            I have a Tracker2 and a ADS-SR1 co-sited and would like to be able to remotely completely remove power to the SR1 and radio when noone is around to use it.

            Dion
            VK7DB

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2011
              On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Dion <vk7ybi@...> wrote:

              > I have a Tracker2 and a ADS-SR1 co-sited and would like to be able
              > to remotely completely remove power to the SR1 and radio when noone
              > is around to use it.

              Use the POWER command to control the output of the onboard solid state
              relay. The high powered MOSFET is good for switching up to 35 amps
              according to the datasheet.

              Open up the case and have a look for the 4 great big solder pads...
              you can see them in the image I uploaded to the yahoogroup photos
              area.

              I am using the output to control an outboard relay for some possible
              multi-amp switching, and the input holes I'm using to run some wires
              to the back side of the board to pick up a couple connection points
              that I wanted access to...

              The purpose behind these pads is to be able to control a high power
              device like a radio at a solar site where you don't want the heavy
              draw on all the time. A buddy uses his to control the power to his
              crossband repeater at his solar powered cabin. On the way out he sends
              a power on command and the crossbander comes to life so he can chat on
              the distant repeaters while on the way to the cabin.

            • Dion
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
                Im actually using a T2-301, I should have said that in the previous message.

                Anyway, I checked out the schematic and found the output that drives the power switch and metered that while sending the CMD POWER ON/OFF commands and it does what I want it to.. Just have to bring that signal out to the DB9 so I can use it to drive a high side switch and I'll be set..

                Thanks for the idea..

                Dion
                VK7DB

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2011
                  The T2-301 has a space for a VN920 (or VN820 depending on the board
                  revision) on-board, but it's set up to power the radio itself. If you
                  use that, you can lift the trace that provides power from the VN920 and
                  route it elsewhere. I've used that for balloon cut-downs.

                  Scott

                  On 9/12/2011 2:01 AM, Dion wrote:
                  > Im actually using a T2-301, I should have said that in the previous message.
                  >
                  > Anyway, I checked out the schematic and found the output that drives the
                  > power switch and metered that while sending the CMD POWER ON/OFF
                  > commands and it does what I want it to.. Just have to bring that signal
                  > out to the DB9 so I can use it to drive a high side switch and I'll be set..
                  >
                  > Thanks for the idea..
                  >
                  > Dion
                  > VK7DB

                  > James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Dion <vk7ybi@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > I have a Tracker2 and a ADS-SR1 co-sited and would like to be able
                  > > > to remotely completely remove power to the SR1 and radio when noone
                  > > > is around to use it.
                  > >
                  > > Use the POWER command to control the output of the onboard solid state
                  > > relay. The high powered MOSFET is good for switching up to 35 amps
                  > > according to the datasheet.
                  > >
                  > > Open up the case and have a look for the 4 great big solder pads...
                  > > you can see them in the image I uploaded to the yahoogroup photos
                  > > area.

                  > > I am using the output to control an outboard relay for some possible
                  > > multi-amp switching, and the input holes I'm using to run some wires
                  > > to the back side of the board to pick up a couple connection points
                  > > that I wanted access to...
                  > >
                  > > The purpose behind these pads is to be able to control a high power
                  > > device like a radio at a solar site where you don't want the heavy
                  > > draw on all the time. A buddy uses his to control the power to his
                  > > crossband repeater at his solar powered cabin. On the way out he sends
                  > > a power on command and the crossbander comes to life so he can chat on
                  > > the distant repeaters while on the way to the cabin.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > James
                  > > VE6SRV

                • Dion
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 26, 2011
                    What I ended up doing was cutting the track on the T2 board at pin 6 on the header that goes to the 9 pin D connector of the 301. I then connected pin 6 to the solder pad that would control the VN920. I soldered a male and female 9 pin D connector back to back so I had easy access to pin 6 on the 301. Pin 6 drives the gate of a 2N7000 which switches a high side FET to power the PX-777 and ADS-SR1. Works well..

                    Dion..