Re: [tracker2] Remote commands not working

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2008
      Peter VK4TGV wrote...

      > I want to use the remote power control stuff and am having two issues,
      >
      > 1. CMD VERSION, or CMD DIGIOFF, or CMD POWEROFF, or CMD POWERON
      > messages are acked OK, but I never see a return message from the T2.

      That should be... (not case sensitive)

      cmd DIGI OFF
      cmd POWER OFF
      cmd POWER ON

      Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
      reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?

      > I have my callsign in the AUTHLIST. Removing my callsign I get a REJ
      > message when I issue a CMD XXXXXX.

      Your callsign must of course be in the authlist.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2008
        > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and observe only
        > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
        > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
        > relay off hand?

        What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?

        The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
        through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
        dissipate so much heat.

        Scott
      • peterschrader2
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2008

          > > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and observe only
          > > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
          > > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
          > > relay off hand?
          >
          > What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?

          +12VDC power is supplied through the DB9 Radio connector

          > The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
          > through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
          > dissipate so much heat.

          Noted thanks.

          > Scott

        • peterschrader2
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2008
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "peterschrader2" <peter@...> wrote:

            > > > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and
            observe only
            > > > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
            > > > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
            > > > relay off hand?
            > >
            > > What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?
            >
            > +12VDC power is supplied through the DB9 Radio connector

            Correction, I've cut the supply through the DB9 Radio port, the device
            stayed powered up, presumably via the relay IN pad? Should I feed
            power to the coaxial power connector?

            > > The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
            > > through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
            > > dissipate so much heat.
            >
            > Noted thanks.
            >

            > > Scott

          • peterschrader2
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2008

              > Peter VK4TGV wrote...
              >
              > > I want to use the remote power control stuff and am having two issues,
              > >
              > > 1. CMD VERSION, or CMD DIGIOFF, or CMD POWEROFF, or CMD POWERON
              > > messages are acked OK, but I never see a return message from the T2.
              >
              > That should be... (not case sensitive)
              >
              > cmd DIGI OFF
              > cmd POWER OFF
              > cmd POWER ON
              >
              > Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
              > reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?

              Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
              except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
              me straight there.

              Peter
              VK4TGV
            • peterschrader2
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2008
                Actually, playing with it more now, I get the ACK, but never any real
                response to the request, that is, CMD VERSION, gets an ACK, but never
                any more information is returned in my UIView message pane.

                Or is there something fundamentally stupid that I am doing here?

                Using another UIView with a callsign not in the AUTHLIST receives a REJ.

                Hope to hear from someone,
                Peter
                VK4TGV

                > > Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
                > > reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?
                >
                > Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
                > except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
                > me straight there.
                >
                > Peter
                > VK4TGV

              • peterschrader2
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                  Confirmed that there is something funny going on here, a colleague
                  gave me remote access to his T2, I get the responses I expected from
                  his device. There must be a configuration setting somewhere that
                  preventing my T2 from giving me answers?

                  Scott, I am happy to add your callsign to the AUTHLIST to confirm my
                  findings.

                  Has anybody else on the list experienced issues with the solid state
                  relay?

                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                    Sorry everyone... I was out of town yesterday, and moving today. The
                    good news is that all of the big stuff (packing bench, lab benches, test
                    bench, shelving racks, etc) is in the new place. Hopefully tomorrow
                    most of the stuff will be plugged in and ready to go.

                    Ok, on the AUTHLIST problem... did you check that RETRIES is something
                    reasonable - and not zero? Does it act on the commands? Try SQUAWK 5
                    or something, so you can tell if it's working even if it doesn't send a
                    reply.

                    (Fixed OT2m enclosure parts are STILL not finished, and I'm starting to
                    get very unhappy with the manufacturer...)

                    Scott

                    peterschrader2 wrote:

                    > Confirmed that there is something funny going on here, a colleague
                    > gave me remote access to his T2, I get the responses I expected from
                    > his device. There must be a configuration setting somewhere that
                    > preventing my T2 from giving me answers?
                    >
                    > Scott, I am happy to add your callsign to the AUTHLIST to confirm my
                    > findings.
                    >
                    > Has anybody else on the list experienced issues with the solid state
                    > relay?
                    >
                    > Peter

                    > "peterschrader2" <peter@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Actually, playing with it more now, I get the ACK, but never any real
                    > > response to the request, that is, CMD VERSION, gets an ACK, but never
                    > > any more information is returned in my UIView message pane.
                    > >
                    > > Or is there something fundamentally stupid that I am doing here?
                    > >
                    > > Using another UIView with a callsign not in the AUTHLIST receives a REJ.
                    > >
                    > > Hope to hear from someone,
                    > > Peter
                    > > VK4TGV

                    > > > Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
                    > > > except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
                    > > > me straight there.
                    > > >
                    > > > Peter
                    > > > VK4TGV

                  • peterschrader2
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                      Ah moving, ain't that grand fun? (sarcasm)

                      I'll check tonight, it does do the action, that is, CMD BEACON and CMD
                      POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                      not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a
                      wordy response like I get from my colleagues device when I ask for a
                      CMD VERSION for example.

                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                        > Ah moving, ain't that grand fun? (sarcasm)

                        Loads of fun. The chemical-resistant resin tops on the lab benches must
                        weight 150 lbs each, and they're unwieldy as heck. Of course, I'm doing
                        mechanical PCB etching now for prototypes and I don't have the nasty
                        chemicals around, but the benches are still handy. The big Hergo test
                        bench / work station was probably the easiest to move - it just requires
                        a lot of tedious disassembly and reassembly. The front office is still
                        just folding chairs and tables for the moment, and will probably stay
                        that way for a bit as the important stuff gets taken care of first.

                        > I'll check tonight, it does do the action, that is, CMD BEACON and CMD
                        > POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                        > not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a

                        It should just pass through whatever it gets on the input. Can you
                        check the voltage at the IN+ pad?

                        > wordy response like I get from my colleagues device when I ask for a
                        > CMD VERSION for example.

                        Do check the RETRIES setting. If you tell it zero retries, it'll try
                        sending the response message exactly zero times.

                        Scott
                      • peterschrader2
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 7, 2008
                          They are going to carry me out this place in a pine box, I hate
                          moving, at least you sound like you are at the better end of the process.

                          RETRIES was indeed set to zero, thanks for that, responses now are
                          received as expected.

                          As for the relay, 13.8VDC is present on the input pin, which is
                          powering the unit as well. Should I put 13.8VDC onto the coaxial
                          power socket as well? I didn't think that was needed according to the
                          schematic. Issuing a CMD POWER ON, 6.6VDC appears on the output pin,
                          CMD POWER OFF, goes down to 1.2VDC.

                          Object is VK4RRC-13 if you want to take a look.

                          -- SNIP
                          > > POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                          > > not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a
                          >
                          > It should just pass through whatever it gets on the input. Can you
                          > check the voltage at the IN+ pad?

                          --SNIP

                          Cheers,
                          Peter
                          VK4TGV
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 7, 2008
                            Hmm, maybe your VN920 is just dead. Does it make any difference whether
                            there's a load on it or not? How much of a load are you putting on it?

                            Scott