USB to Serial

  • n0uyx
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hello all,

      Well it seems I have made a mistake of purchasing a new Laptop. The old
      IBM T22 I was running was really slow but dependable. I ran across a
      deal on an Acer and couldn't resist. Well I am having all kinds of
      trouble with my Serial to USB adaptors. I have a USB GPS that is acting
      crazy and I can't seem to get connected to the T2-dr135 at all. I have
      tried two different adaptors but still no luck. This laptop has four
      USB ports and it seems everytime I reboot everything changes and dumps
      the Drivers. I am running UI View 32 by the way. The GPS is run through
      an extension but the Serial to USB is directly connected to the laptop.

      Any ideas?

      TNX
      DE N0UYX
      Randall
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
        USB to serial adapters are hit-or-miss (mostly miss) in my experience.
        What device/chipset are you using?

        Some devices will allow you to assign a com port to a particular
        adapter, to help you nail things down. Others have no serial number
        or other unique identifier so the com port is assigned by enumeration
        order. Nearly all of the device driver authors seem to assume that
        you'll have one and only one such device on your system at a time -
        they don't really think about multiple devices.

        I'm a bit confused when you talk about connecting your USB GPS to the
        t2 - this isn't possible, unless your GPS has some serial port
        emulation type software that will cause the computer to spit NMEA out
        on a serial port? I've seen this sort of arrangement with some GPS -
        little yellow job, but I can't recall the name. Earthmate?

        If you have a choice, buy a device with an FTDI chipset; their FT232
        series are good devices and they have good driver support across most
        platforms (they left out Solaris). Keyspan are also good, but fairly
        expensive.

        Scott sells one that seems to work fine for most folks, but I don't
        have any personal experience with it.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
          Randall N0UYX wrote...

          > I am having all kinds of trouble with my Serial to USB adaptors. I
          > have a USB GPS that is acting crazy and I can't seem to get connected
          > to the T2-dr135 at all. I have tried two different adaptors but still
          > no luck. This laptop has four USB ports and it seems every time I
          > reboot everything changes and dumps the Drivers. I am running UI View
          > 32 by the way. The GPS is run through an extension but the Serial to
          > USB is directly connected to the laptop.

          Like Jason, I'm a bit confused. If you are running UI-View, the USB GPS
          can connect directly to the laptop as long as the driver creates a
          virtual com port 1-8. You can run the T2-135 in KISS mode with UI-View.
          Is the problem with your GPS receiver, or with a USB-serial adapter
          being used to connect the T2-135? Again, it needs to create a com port
          1-8, and of course not conflicting with an existing "com port".

          Any chance that booting first and then connecting any USB-serial
          adapter(s) will help?

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • n0uyx
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
            Sorry about that the GPS is connected to the laptop. I got it going
            again but still no luck with the Serial to USB adapter. It recognizes
            it when it is plugged in and removed but still no control of the T2-DR135.

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

            > USB to serial adapters are hit-or-miss (mostly miss) in my experience.
            > What device/chipset are you using?
            >
            > Some devices will allow you to assign a com port to a particular
            > adapter, to help you nail things down. Others have no serial number
            > or other unique identifier so the com port is assigned by enumeration
            > order. Nearly all of the device driver authors seem to assume that
            > you'll have one and only one such device on your system at a time -
            > they don't really think about multiple devices.
            >
            > I'm a bit confused when you talk about connecting your USB GPS to the
            > t2 - this isn't possible, unless your GPS has some serial port
            > emulation type software that will cause the computer to spit NMEA out
            > on a serial port? I've seen this sort of arrangement with some GPS -
            > little yellow job, but I can't recall the name. Earthmate?
            >
            > If you have a choice, buy a device with an FTDI chipset; their FT232
            > series are good devices and they have good driver support across most
            > platforms (they left out Solaris). Keyspan are also good, but fairly
            > expensive.
            >
            > Scott sells one that seems to work fine for most folks, but I don't
            > have any personal experience with it.
            >
            > -Jason
            > kg4wsv

          • n0uyx
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
              Well I was thinking it would be better to have the device connected at
              boot-up but I have removed the Serial to USB and reconnected it and
              still "no dice". I have two Serial to USB adapters one is a year old
              and the other is brand new. Neither one is working with the T2-DR135.

              > Randall N0UYX wrote...
              >
              > > I am having all kinds of trouble with my Serial to USB adaptors. I
              > > have a USB GPS that is acting crazy and I can't seem to get connected
              > > to the T2-dr135 at all. I have tried two different adaptors but still
              > > no luck. This laptop has four USB ports and it seems every time I
              > > reboot everything changes and dumps the Drivers. I am running UI View
              > > 32 by the way. The GPS is run through an extension but the Serial to
              > > USB is directly connected to the laptop.
              >
              > Like Jason, I'm a bit confused. If you are running UI-View, the USB GPS
              > can connect directly to the laptop as long as the driver creates a
              > virtual com port 1-8. You can run the T2-135 in KISS mode with UI-View.
              > Is the problem with your GPS receiver, or with a USB-serial adapter
              > being used to connect the T2-135? Again, it needs to create a com port
              > 1-8, and of course not conflicting with an existing "com port".
              >
              > Any chance that booting first and then connecting any USB-serial
              > adapter(s) will help?
              >
              > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            • Jim Tolbert
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                In response to a problem I am having with communications with a Alinco, it was suggested that the usb to serial converter form MFJ works better than the others. Apparently the functionality of these things is VERY different manufacturer to manufacturer.  I haven't tried it myself.....  I don't want to have all my capital tied up in usb to serial converters <grin>.

                If you find something that works, please share.

                Does anyone one know of any bench test that could be run to determine if a particular converter will work  or is this magic.  Once you find one that works, does it continue to work?

                Thx........... jt, KC9MXT

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                >
                > > I am having all kinds of trouble with my Serial to USB adaptors. I
                > > have a USB GPS that is acting crazy and I can't seem to get connected
                > > to the T2-dr135 at all. I have tried two different adaptors but still
                > > no luck. This laptop has four USB ports and it seems every time I
                > > reboot everything changes and dumps the Drivers. I am running UI View
                > > 32 by the way. The GPS is run through an extension but the Serial to
                > > USB is directly connected to the laptop.
                >
                > Like Jason, I'm a bit confused. If you are running UI-View, the USB GPS
                > can connect directly to the laptop as long as the driver creates a
                > virtual com port 1-8. You can run the T2-135 in KISS mode with UI-View.
                > Is the problem with your GPS receiver, or with a USB-serial adapter
                > being used to connect the T2-135? Again, it needs to create a com port
                > 1-8, and of course not conflicting with an existing "com port".
                >
                > Any chance that booting first and then connecting any USB-serial
                > adapter(s) will help?
                >
                > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                Jim Tolbert
                RiverRidge Consulting, LLC
                PO Box 536
                Webster, WI 54893

                715-866-4398 home office

                RiverRidge@...
              • n0uyx
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Thanks

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jim Tolbert <riverridge@...> wrote:

                  > it was suggested that the usb to serial converter form MFJ works better
                  > than the others. Apparently the functionality of these things is VERY
                  > different manufacturer to manufacturer. I haven't tried it
                  myself.....
                  > I don't want to have all my capital tied up in usb to serial converters
                  > <grin>.
                  >
                  > If you find something that works, please share.
                  >
                  > Does anyone one know of any bench test that could be run to
                  determine if
                  > a particular converter will work or is this magic. Once you find one
                  > that works, does it continue to work?
                  >
                  > Thx........... jt, KC9MXT
                  >
                  > n0uyx wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well I was thinking it would be better to have the device connected at
                  > > boot-up but I have removed the Serial to USB and reconnected it and
                  > > still "no dice". I have two Serial to USB adapters one is a year old
                  > > and the other is brand new. Neither one is working with the T2-DR135.

                  > > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Randall N0UYX wrote...

                  UI View
                  Serial to

                  > > > Like Jason, I'm a bit confused. If you are running UI-View, the
                  USB GPS
                  > > > can connect directly to the laptop as long as the driver creates a
                  > > > virtual com port 1-8. You can run the T2-135 in KISS mode with
                  UI-View.
                  > > > Is the problem with your GPS receiver, or with a USB-serial adapter
                  > > > being used to connect the T2-135? Again, it needs to create a
                  com port
                  > > > 1-8, and of course not conflicting with an existing "com port".
                  > > >
                  > > > Any chance that booting first and then connecting any USB-serial
                  > > > adapter(s) will help?
                  > > >
                  > > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  > > > --
                  > > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"
                  > > >

                  > --
                  > Jim Tolbert
                  > RiverRidge Consulting, LLC
                  > PO Box 536
                  > Webster, WI 54893
                  >
                  > 715-866-4398 home office
                  >
                  > RiverRidge@...

                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Randall N0UYX wrote...

                    > I have two Serial to USB adapters one is a year old and the other is
                    > brand new. Neither one is working with the T2-DR135.

                    I have a USB to serial adapter from Prolific plugged in right now and
                    working with a T2-135. I understand the ones from FTDI are OK too.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                      I was in the same boat last month when I was moving away from my trusty DELL Latitude D620 (with real serial port) to a mini-notebook MSI Wind (only has USB ports).
                      I had bought 2 USB-serial adapters, and after several trial-and-error, I can consistently make it work (to otwinconfig, and ui-view).
                      What I did:
                      - not automatic install, so I can set COM port to lower than 9 (max at COM8)
                      - Plug it to the same physical port/hole on the notebook.

                      The chipsets are: PL-2302 and HL-340 (no brand at all, the typical $5 adapter from China, sometimes I see it offered on eBay)

                      73 de Paulus N5SNN/YD0NXX

                      > > it was suggested that the usb to serial converter form
                      > MFJ works better
                      > > than the others. Apparently the functionality of these
                      > things is VERY
                      > > different manufacturer to manufacturer. I haven't
                      > tried it
                      > myself.....
                      > > I don't want to have all my capital tied up in usb
                      > to serial converters
                      > > <grin>.
                      > >
                      > > If you find something that works, please share.
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone one know of any bench test that could be
                      > run to
                      > determine if
                      > > a particular converter will work or is this magic.
                      > Once you find one
                      > > that works, does it continue to work?
                      > >
                      > > Thx........... jt, KC9MXT
                      > >
                      > > n0uyx wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Well I was thinking it would be better to have
                      > the device connected at
                      > > > boot-up but I have removed the Serial to USB and
                      > reconnected it and
                      > > > still "no dice". I have two Serial to
                      > USB adapters one is a year old
                      > > > and the other is brand new. Neither one is
                      > working with the T2-DR135.
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > my Serial to USB adaptors. I
                      > I can't seem to get
                      > connected
                      > two different adaptors
                      > but still
                      > and it seems every time I
                      > Drivers. I am running
                      > UI View
                      > an extension but the
                      > Serial to
                      > laptop.

                      > are running UI-View, the
                      > USB GPS
                      > as the driver creates a
                      > in KISS mode with
                      > UI-View.
                      > with a USB-serial adapter
                      > needs to create a
                      > com port
                      > existing "com port".

                      > connecting any USB-serial

                      > where I am!"
                      > > > >

                      > > --
                      > > Jim Tolbert
                      > > RiverRidge Consulting, LLC
                      > > PO Box 536
                      > > Webster, WI 54893
                      > >
                      > > 715-866-4398 home office
                      > >
                      > > RiverRidge@...

                    • n0uyx
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                        The ones I have are Prolific. Not sure what the deal is. I may chase
                        the pins and see if I am actually getting the proper signal or anything
                        at all on each pin.

                        Not working at this point.

                        > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                        >
                        > > I have two Serial to USB adapters one is a year old and the other
                        is
                        > > brand new. Neither one is working with the T2-DR135.
                        >
                        > I have a USB to serial adapter from Prolific plugged in right now and
                        > working with a T2-135. I understand the ones from FTDI are OK too.
                        >
                        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                      • n0uyx
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                          The new Adapter has LED for TX and RX. Used it with a Garmin Etrex
                          and the RX is working but still nothing when it comes to the DR-135!!!
                          GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:

                          > The ones I have are Prolific. Not sure what the deal is. I may
                          chase
                          > the pins and see if I am actually getting the proper signal or
                          anything
                          > at all on each pin.
                          >
                          > Not working at this point.
                          >

                          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                          > >
                          > > > I have two Serial to USB adapters one is a year old and the
                          other
                          > is
                          > > > brand new. Neither one is working with the T2-DR135.
                          > >
                          > > I have a USB to serial adapter from Prolific plugged in right now
                          and
                          > > working with a T2-135. I understand the ones from FTDI are OK too.
                          > >
                          > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          > > --
                          > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                        • Patrick
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                            The cable which you are using to connect to the DR-135... Which port
                            (front or back) are you connecting to and what is its pinout of the cable?

                            n0uyx wrote:
                            > The new Adapter has LED for TX and RX. Used it with a Garmin Etrex
                            > and the RX is working but still nothing when it comes to the DR-135!!!
                            > GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
                            >

                            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> The ones I have are Prolific. Not sure what the deal is. I may
                            >>
                            > chase
                            >
                            >> the pins and see if I am actually getting the proper signal or
                            >>
                            > anything
                            >
                            >> at all on each pin.
                            >>
                            >> Not working at this point.
                            >>

                            >> --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Randall N0UYX wrote...

                            > other
                            >
                            >> is

                            >>> I have a USB to serial adapter from Prolific plugged in right now
                            >>>
                            > and
                            >
                            >>> working with a T2-135. I understand the ones from FTDI are OK too.
                            >>>
                            >>> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                            >>> --
                            >>> "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                          • Robert Thompson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                              I do a lot of serial work as part of my day job. I've had very good luck with the Keyspan family of adaptors, specifically the USA19QW and its replacement USA19HS. These provide all the expected control and data lines and work well in Windows, Vista, OSX, Linux. The timings are reliably very good, and I haven't yet had one change its COM port without reason.

                              They're not the cheapest I've seen but, given that a serial failure during firmware update will sometimes result in bricking an expensive piece of hardware, they're worth it for us.

                              http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/homepage.2.shop.spml although you might want to find your own sources rather than using Keyspan's own store list.

                              Regards, Robert Thompson

                            • Bob Poortinga
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                "n0uyx" <n0uyx@...> writes:

                                > The new Adapter has LED for TX and RX. Used it with a Garmin Etrex
                                > and the RX is working but still nothing when it comes to the DR-135!!!
                                > GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

                                You are using a null modem adapter with the DR-135, aren't you? Not all
                                null modems are created equal, you may have to try a different one. Also,
                                disable turbo mode in OTWINCFG.

                                73 de
                                --
                                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                Bloomington, Indiana US
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  OK explain this. I have a T2-135 and couldn't seem to get it to work
                                  in KISS mode with UI View. But it works just fine with PUTTY a
                                  terminal emulator. So I started playing around with the comm settings
                                  in UI View and using the Default DR-135TP seems to work just fine and
                                  that wouldn't work at all on my older IBM T22 Laptop.

                                  Windows Vista is a mess I think. LOL

                                  Randall

                                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Thompson"
                                  <robertt.thompson@...> wrote:

                                  > I do a lot of serial work as part of my day job. I've had very good
                                  luck
                                  > with the Keyspan family of adaptors, specifically the USA19QW and
                                  its
                                  > replacement USA19HS. These provide all the expected control and
                                  data lines
                                  > and work well in Windows, Vista, OSX, Linux. The timings are
                                  reliably very
                                  > good, and I haven't yet had one change its COM port without reason.
                                  >
                                  > They're not the cheapest I've seen but, given that a serial failure
                                  during
                                  > firmware update will sometimes result in bricking an expensive
                                  piece of
                                  > hardware, they're worth it for us.
                                  >
                                  > http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/homepage.2.shop.spml
                                  although you
                                  > might want to find your own sources rather than using Keyspan's own
                                  store
                                  > list.
                                  >
                                  > Regards, Robert Thompson

                                • n0uyx
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                    Actually there are alot of things I can't seem to get to work in UI
                                    View on this new Laptop. PA7HRM mapserver doesn't work. Keeps giving
                                    me an error. I tried to create more maps and they wont calibrate. It
                                    is acting really strange.

                                    But DR-135TP mode seems to work just fine now. RX and TX.

                                    <robertt.thompson@...> wrote:

                                    > I do a lot of serial work as part of my day job. I've had very good
                                    luck
                                    > with the Keyspan family of adaptors, specifically the USA19QW and
                                    its
                                    > replacement USA19HS. These provide all the expected control and
                                    data lines
                                    > and work well in Windows, Vista, OSX, Linux. The timings are
                                    reliably very
                                    > good, and I haven't yet had one change its COM port without reason.
                                    >
                                    > They're not the cheapest I've seen but, given that a serial failure
                                    during
                                    > firmware update will sometimes result in bricking an expensive
                                    piece of
                                    > hardware, they're worth it for us.
                                    >
                                    > http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/homepage.2.shop.spml
                                    although you
                                    > might want to find your own sources rather than using Keyspan's own
                                    store
                                    > list.
                                    >
                                    > Regards, Robert Thompson

                                  • Keith VE7GDH
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                      Randall N0UYX wrote...

                                      > Actually there are alot of things I can't seem to get to work in
                                      > UI-View on this new Laptop. PA7HRM apserver doesn't work. Keeps giving
                                      > me an error. I tried to create more maps and they wont calibrate. It
                                      > is acting really strange.

                                      Are you referring to "saving maps" in PA7RHM map server? See
                                      http://www.wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#PA7RHM
                                      Stephen has the older ver 1.06b on his site.

                                      Or were you referring to creating your own static maps?

                                      Does anyone have the current URL for Chris PA7RHM? I'm sure I can find
                                      it if I poke around long enough, but the URL to Chris' site on the
                                      UI-View site is out of date. Oh... this is the T2 list. I should ask
                                      over on the UI-View or APRS lists -hi!

                                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                    • Keith VE7GDH
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                        Randall N0UYX wrote...

                                        > OK explain this. I have a T2-135 and couldn't seem to get it to work
                                        > in KISS mode with UI View. But it works just fine with PUTTY a
                                        > terminal emulator. So I started playing around with the comm settings
                                        > in UI View and using the Default DR-135TP seems to work just fine and
                                        > that wouldn't work at all on my older IBM T22 Laptop.
                                        > Windows Vista is a mess I think. LOL

                                        Don't use the DR-135TP file to try and run the T2-135 in host mode none.
                                        Run it in KISS mode as intended. There are a bunch of commands in
                                        DR-135TP.cmd (did I get the file name right) that aren't understood by
                                        the T2-135 in any case. Here are the settings that I'm using. Of course,
                                        also with DIGI OFF, USEALIAS all set to no, etc. The INT 0 is just so it
                                        won't beacon on its own.

                                        into KISS...
                                        003,003,003
                                        INT 0
                                        AMODE KISS

                                        exit KISS
                                        003,003,003

                                        or as Scott posted recently...

                                        Into KISS
                                        1: ^M^M
                                        2: AMODE KISS

                                        Exit KISS
                                        192,255,192

                                        I think I'm still waiting for him to comment on the settings that are
                                        working 100% for me.

                                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                      • n0uyx
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                          Don't? None of those settings works on this system for whatever
                                          reason. The only thing that works is DR-135TP mode. If you can tell
                                          me how to make it work in KISS mode then I will consider not running
                                          it in DR-135TP mode but it does nothing in KISS mode. I have tried
                                          both yours and Scott's settings and "No Dice" at all. It does nothing
                                          through UI View. Why I have no clue but that is what is happening.

                                          > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                                          >
                                          > > OK explain this. I have a T2-135 and couldn't seem to get it to
                                          work
                                          > > in KISS mode with UI View. But it works just fine with PUTTY a
                                          > > terminal emulator. So I started playing around with the comm
                                          settings
                                          > > in UI View and using the Default DR-135TP seems to work just fine
                                          and
                                          > > that wouldn't work at all on my older IBM T22 Laptop.
                                          > > Windows Vista is a mess I think. LOL
                                          >
                                          > Don't use the DR-135TP file to try and run the T2-135 in host mode
                                          none.
                                          > Run it in KISS mode as intended. There are a bunch of commands in
                                          > DR-135TP.cmd (did I get the file name right) that aren't understood
                                          by
                                          > the T2-135 in any case. Here are the settings that I'm using. Of
                                          course,
                                          > also with DIGI OFF, USEALIAS all set to no, etc. The INT 0 is just
                                          so it
                                          > won't beacon on its own.
                                          >
                                          > into KISS...
                                          > 003,003,003
                                          > INT 0
                                          > AMODE KISS
                                          >
                                          > exit KISS
                                          > 003,003,003
                                          >
                                          > or as Scott posted recently...
                                          >
                                          > Into KISS
                                          > 1: ^M^M
                                          > 2: AMODE KISS
                                          >
                                          > Exit KISS
                                          > 192,255,192
                                          >
                                          > I think I'm still waiting for him to comment on the settings that
                                          are
                                          > working 100% for me.
                                          >
                                          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                        • n0uyx
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                            Neither one works. I can't create my own maps nor the PH7HRM
                                            mapserver works.

                                            This new Laptop is crazy!!!!

                                            > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                                            >
                                            > > Actually there are alot of things I can't seem to get to work in
                                            > > UI-View on this new Laptop. PA7HRM apserver doesn't work. Keeps
                                            giving
                                            > > me an error. I tried to create more maps and they wont calibrate.
                                            It
                                            > > is acting really strange.
                                            >
                                            > Are you referring to "saving maps" in PA7RHM map server? See
                                            > http://www.wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#PA7RHM
                                            > Stephen has the older ver 1.06b on his site.
                                            >
                                            > Or were you referring to creating your own static maps?
                                            >
                                            > Does anyone have the current URL for Chris PA7RHM? I'm sure I can
                                            find
                                            > it if I poke around long enough, but the URL to Chris' site on the
                                            > UI-View site is out of date. Oh... this is the T2 list. I should
                                            ask
                                            > over on the UI-View or APRS lists -hi!
                                            >
                                            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                          • Keith VE7GDH
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                                              Randall N0UYX wrote...

                                              > Neither one works. I can't create my own maps nor the PH7HRM
                                              > mapserver works. This new Laptop is crazy!!!!

                                              I think if you are expecting better answers, you need to be more
                                              specific than "this laptop is crazy".

                                              re PA7RHM map server... are you running into a "run as administrator"
                                              thing in Vista?

                                              re creating static maps... can you view GIF, JPG, BMP, PNG files etc.
                                              (in any program) on the laptop? Calibrating the map is as simple as
                                              creating an INF file for calibrating the two corners. You could do that
                                              in a text editor if you know the top left / bottom right corners. It's
                                              nice using the two point method in UI-View though as the two calibration
                                              points don't have to be exactly in the corners. You should also be
                                              asking about UI-View matters over on the UI-View support list, other
                                              than getting a T2 or T2-135 talking to it.

                                              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                            • Keith VE7GDH
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                Randall N0UYX wrote...

                                                > Don't? None of those settings works on this system for whatever
                                                > reason. The only thing that works is DR-135TP mode. If you can tell
                                                > me how to make it work in KISS mode then I will consider not running
                                                > it in DR-135TP mode but it does nothing in KISS mode. I have tried
                                                > both yours and Scott's settings and "No Dice" at all. It does nothing
                                                > through UI View. Why I have no clue but that is what is happening.

                                                It sounds like you have a problem! Look at DR-135TP.CMD. I don't think
                                                you will find very many commands that are meaningful to a T2-135. Do you
                                                get a command prompt if you close UI-View and try and talk to the T2-135
                                                in a terminal program? If you don't, can you run otwincfg.exe and get it
                                                to communicate with the T2-135? What do you have entered for...
                                                baud rate A
                                                mode A
                                                profile switching (should be disabled unless you have profile 2 set up
                                                properly)
                                                waypoint output - should not be enabled

                                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                  Bob K9SQL wrote...

                                                  > You are using a null modem adapter with the DR-135, aren't you?

                                                  Actually, you want a straight serial cable to the T2-135, not a null
                                                  modem adapter.

                                                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                                • n0uyx
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                                    I have created my own maps on the Old IBM T22 by dragging and
                                                    dropping then calibrating two points! Been there done that. But UI
                                                    View on this new laptop will not let me do that. When I try to drag
                                                    and drop the map image it doesn't allow it. The only thing I am able
                                                    to do is put the map image in the file and create a calibration file
                                                    from a copy of other map calibration files.

                                                    But yes I can view all my saved map images just fine through windows
                                                    viewer. So yes it is seeming like a UI View problem. I have even
                                                    uninstalled and re-installed it. No Dice!

                                                    TNX
                                                    Randall
                                                    Frustrated

                                                    > Randall N0UYX wrote...
                                                    >
                                                    > > Neither one works. I can't create my own maps nor the PH7HRM
                                                    > > mapserver works. This new Laptop is crazy!!!!
                                                    >
                                                    > I think if you are expecting better answers, you need to be more
                                                    > specific than "this laptop is crazy".
                                                    >
                                                    > re PA7RHM map server... are you running into a "run as
                                                    administrator"
                                                    > thing in Vista?
                                                    >
                                                    > re creating static maps... can you view GIF, JPG, BMP, PNG files
                                                    etc.
                                                    > (in any program) on the laptop? Calibrating the map is as simple as
                                                    > creating an INF file for calibrating the two corners. You could do
                                                    that
                                                    > in a text editor if you know the top left / bottom right corners.
                                                    It's
                                                    > nice using the two point method in UI-View though as the two
                                                    calibration
                                                    > points don't have to be exactly in the corners. You should also be
                                                    > asking about UI-View matters over on the UI-View support list,
                                                    other
                                                    > than getting a T2 or T2-135 talking to it.
                                                    >
                                                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                                                  • Keith VE7GDH
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 7, 2008
                                                      Randall N0UYX wrote...

                                                      > When I try to drag and drop the map image it doesn't allow it.

                                                      OK, so in a pinch you can manually calibrate the map IF you know the lat
                                                      / long for the top left / bottom right corners (as opposed to two
                                                      points) but...

                                                      Are you running UI-View as administrator?

                                                      Are there any Vista / UI-View users that CAN drag a static map to
                                                      UI-Views main window?

                                                      It would be nice if you could use the drag and drop method of
                                                      calibrating static maps, but you are in the US, so there's always the
                                                      $50 solution!

                                                      PS - it appears you only ran it for a day, but did you fix the unproto
                                                      setting for N0UYX-5? it was UI-View32 sending to a destination of
                                                      WIDE1-1 with a path of WIDE2-2. If it was ver 2.03 with "APRS,path" in
                                                      the unproto setting, it would have had a destination of APU25N.

                                                      I just noticed this is the T2 list. This should really have been over on
                                                      the UI-View list.

                                                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH