Re: [tracker2] Re: Smart Beaconing time based on speed

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

      > now I understand that based on speed its
      > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

      Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
      inversely proportional relationship.

      > but what happens beyond
      > the high speed and below the slow speed...

      Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
      high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

      > and how does it calculate
      > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

      Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

      beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

      where speed is your current speed.

      > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
      > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
      > curious.

      As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
      more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
      SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
      http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html