Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi GPS's

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, James Ewen <jewen@...> wrote:

      > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units
      >
      > If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
      > reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
      > and get a couple sporadic responses...

      Send me your information that you want added to the wiki if you can't
      figure it out yourself, and I'll edit the page. Send me the
      information to include in the columns please...

      If you put it together like this:

      |AvMap||Geosat G5 ||in/out||Full Support || 20 ||SiRFStar III|| No ||
      $GPWPL limited icons $PKWDWPL full icons|-

      it makes it really easy for me to add to the page.

      There have been a couple additions in the last couple hours.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
        On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

        > now I understand that based on speed its
        > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

        Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
        inversely proportional relationship.

        > but what happens beyond
        > the high speed and below the slow speed...

        Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
        high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

        > and how does it calculate
        > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

        Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

        beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

        where speed is your current speed.

        > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
        > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
        > curious.

        As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
        more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
        SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
        http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html