Remote commands not working

  • peterschrader2
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3 10:42 PM
      Hi all,
      I am in the middle of reconfiguring our club repeater telemetry
      sub-rack which, surprise, surprise, uses a Tracker2. It works really
      well, reporting voltage and current every beacon, sending the D700
      friendly object text as well.

      I want to use the remote power control stuff and am having two issues,

      1. CMD VERSION, or CMD DIGIOFF, or CMD POWEROFF, or CMD POWERON
      messages are acked OK, but I never see a return message from the T2.
      I have my callsign in the AUTHLIST. Removing my callsign I get a REJ
      message when I issue a CMD XXXXXX.

      2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and observe only
      5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
      state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
      relay off hand?

      I updated the firmware to the latest, and checked and checked my
      configuration.

      Cheers,
      Peter
      VK4TGV
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4 6:49 AM
        Peter VK4TGV wrote...

        > I want to use the remote power control stuff and am having two issues,
        >
        > 1. CMD VERSION, or CMD DIGIOFF, or CMD POWEROFF, or CMD POWERON
        > messages are acked OK, but I never see a return message from the T2.

        That should be... (not case sensitive)

        cmd DIGI OFF
        cmd POWER OFF
        cmd POWER ON

        Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
        reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?

        > I have my callsign in the AUTHLIST. Removing my callsign I get a REJ
        > message when I issue a CMD XXXXXX.

        Your callsign must of course be in the authlist.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4 10:12 AM
          > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and observe only
          > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
          > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
          > relay off hand?

          What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?

          The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
          through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
          dissipate so much heat.

          Scott
        • peterschrader2
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4 5:33 PM

            > > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and observe only
            > > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
            > > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
            > > relay off hand?
            >
            > What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?

            +12VDC power is supplied through the DB9 Radio connector

            > The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
            > through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
            > dissipate so much heat.

            Noted thanks.

            > Scott

          • peterschrader2
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4 7:05 PM
              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "peterschrader2" <peter@...> wrote:

              > > > 2. Using the config program, I cycle the POWER button and
              observe only
              > > > 5 volts at the relay output. Has anybody else had a faulty solid
              > > > state relay? Does anybody know the current rating of the solid state
              > > > relay off hand?
              > >
              > > What external power are you providing to the unit, and where?
              >
              > +12VDC power is supplied through the DB9 Radio connector

              Correction, I've cut the supply through the DB9 Radio port, the device
              stayed powered up, presumably via the relay IN pad? Should I feed
              power to the coaxial power connector?

              > > The VN920 switch is rated at 30 amps. Keep in mind that it's running
              > > through a couple of 70-mil traces about 1 cm long, and it can only
              > > dissipate so much heat.
              >
              > Noted thanks.
              >

              > > Scott

            • peterschrader2
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4 7:06 PM

                > Peter VK4TGV wrote...
                >
                > > I want to use the remote power control stuff and am having two issues,
                > >
                > > 1. CMD VERSION, or CMD DIGIOFF, or CMD POWEROFF, or CMD POWERON
                > > messages are acked OK, but I never see a return message from the T2.
                >
                > That should be... (not case sensitive)
                >
                > cmd DIGI OFF
                > cmd POWER OFF
                > cmd POWER ON
                >
                > Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
                > reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?

                Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
                except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
                me straight there.

                Peter
                VK4TGV
              • peterschrader2
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5 5:02 AM
                  Actually, playing with it more now, I get the ACK, but never any real
                  response to the request, that is, CMD VERSION, gets an ACK, but never
                  any more information is returned in my UIView message pane.

                  Or is there something fundamentally stupid that I am doing here?

                  Using another UIView with a callsign not in the AUTHLIST receives a REJ.

                  Hope to hear from someone,
                  Peter
                  VK4TGV

                  > > Note the space between the command and the parameter. Did you get a
                  > > reject or did it reply with "invalid command"?
                  >
                  > Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
                  > except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
                  > me straight there.
                  >
                  > Peter
                  > VK4TGV

                • peterschrader2
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 6 8:40 PM
                    Confirmed that there is something funny going on here, a colleague
                    gave me remote access to his T2, I get the responses I expected from
                    his device. There must be a configuration setting somewhere that
                    preventing my T2 from giving me answers?

                    Scott, I am happy to add your callsign to the AUTHLIST to confirm my
                    findings.

                    Has anybody else on the list experienced issues with the solid state
                    relay?

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 6 9:43 PM
                      Sorry everyone... I was out of town yesterday, and moving today. The
                      good news is that all of the big stuff (packing bench, lab benches, test
                      bench, shelving racks, etc) is in the new place. Hopefully tomorrow
                      most of the stuff will be plugged in and ready to go.

                      Ok, on the AUTHLIST problem... did you check that RETRIES is something
                      reasonable - and not zero? Does it act on the commands? Try SQUAWK 5
                      or something, so you can tell if it's working even if it doesn't send a
                      reply.

                      (Fixed OT2m enclosure parts are STILL not finished, and I'm starting to
                      get very unhappy with the manufacturer...)

                      Scott

                      peterschrader2 wrote:

                      > Confirmed that there is something funny going on here, a colleague
                      > gave me remote access to his T2, I get the responses I expected from
                      > his device. There must be a configuration setting somewhere that
                      > preventing my T2 from giving me answers?
                      >
                      > Scott, I am happy to add your callsign to the AUTHLIST to confirm my
                      > findings.
                      >
                      > Has anybody else on the list experienced issues with the solid state
                      > relay?
                      >
                      > Peter

                      > "peterschrader2" <peter@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Actually, playing with it more now, I get the ACK, but never any real
                      > > response to the request, that is, CMD VERSION, gets an ACK, but never
                      > > any more information is returned in my UIView message pane.
                      > >
                      > > Or is there something fundamentally stupid that I am doing here?
                      > >
                      > > Using another UIView with a callsign not in the AUTHLIST receives a REJ.
                      > >
                      > > Hope to hear from someone,
                      > > Peter
                      > > VK4TGV

                      > > > Doh!! I guess RTFM comes to mind. Thanks heaps, works fine now,
                      > > > except for the low volts from the relay OUT. Hopefully Scott can set
                      > > > me straight there.
                      > > >
                      > > > Peter
                      > > > VK4TGV

                    • peterschrader2
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 6 10:26 PM
                        Ah moving, ain't that grand fun? (sarcasm)

                        I'll check tonight, it does do the action, that is, CMD BEACON and CMD
                        POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                        not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a
                        wordy response like I get from my colleagues device when I ask for a
                        CMD VERSION for example.

                        Thanks,

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 6 10:39 PM
                          > Ah moving, ain't that grand fun? (sarcasm)

                          Loads of fun. The chemical-resistant resin tops on the lab benches must
                          weight 150 lbs each, and they're unwieldy as heck. Of course, I'm doing
                          mechanical PCB etching now for prototypes and I don't have the nasty
                          chemicals around, but the benches are still handy. The big Hergo test
                          bench / work station was probably the easiest to move - it just requires
                          a lot of tedious disassembly and reassembly. The front office is still
                          just folding chairs and tables for the moment, and will probably stay
                          that way for a bit as the important stuff gets taken care of first.

                          > I'll check tonight, it does do the action, that is, CMD BEACON and CMD
                          > POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                          > not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a

                          It should just pass through whatever it gets on the input. Can you
                          check the voltage at the IN+ pad?

                          > wordy response like I get from my colleagues device when I ask for a
                          > CMD VERSION for example.

                          Do check the RETRIES setting. If you tell it zero retries, it'll try
                          sending the response message exactly zero times.

                          Scott
                        • peterschrader2
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 7 3:15 PM
                            They are going to carry me out this place in a pine box, I hate
                            moving, at least you sound like you are at the better end of the process.

                            RETRIES was indeed set to zero, thanks for that, responses now are
                            received as expected.

                            As for the relay, 13.8VDC is present on the input pin, which is
                            powering the unit as well. Should I put 13.8VDC onto the coaxial
                            power socket as well? I didn't think that was needed according to the
                            schematic. Issuing a CMD POWER ON, 6.6VDC appears on the output pin,
                            CMD POWER OFF, goes down to 1.2VDC.

                            Object is VK4RRC-13 if you want to take a look.

                            -- SNIP
                            > > POWER ON and CMD POWER OFF does things (although, the relay is still
                            > > not providing the full 12VDC). I get an APRS ACK, but never get a
                            >
                            > It should just pass through whatever it gets on the input. Can you
                            > check the voltage at the IN+ pad?

                            --SNIP

                            Cheers,
                            Peter
                            VK4TGV
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7 3:52 PM
                              Hmm, maybe your VN920 is just dead. Does it make any difference whether
                              there's a load on it or not? How much of a load are you putting on it?

                              Scott