RE: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi GPS's

  • Phil Baird
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008

      Query….what other GPS’s will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the Avmap?

      Thanks….Phil in Bakersfield

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
        The Garmin 60C does but no messaging, there is other variations of the 60 that do it as well

        Sent from my iPhone

        denni43 wrote:

        > Howdy,
        >
        > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
        > Tracker2.
        >
        > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
        >
        > Thanks DennisB W7IME

      • Ron N9QGS
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
          Scott,

          How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
          message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
          to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
          messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
            On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Phil Baird <mypactor@...> wrote:

            > Query….what other GPS's will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the
            > Avmap?

            Quite a number...

            http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units

            If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
            reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
            and get a couple sporadic responses...

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
              > How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
              > message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
              > to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
              > messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

              When a message comes in, it dings and shows an alert icon. Tapping that
              icon or going to the inbox will display the message.

              To compose a message, you tap on the message icon (under the dispatch
              menu) and use the on-screen keyboard. Since the nüvi doesn't provide a
              destination field (it was intended for communication with a central
              dispatch service) you can start the message with "-callsign" to address
              it. For example, "-n1vg Hello." sends a message to N1VG. If you
              exclude the callsign, it sends a reply to the last station it received a
              message from.

              Scott
            • Ron N9QGS
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                I would like to know one more thing about the smart beaconing of the
                T2-135. I know when you choose a slow speed and a fast speed and
                number of seconds for both. now I understand that based on speed its
                a linear line between the fast and slow speed, but what happens beyond
                the high speed and below the slow speed... and how does it calculate
                when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                curious. Ron
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                  On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, James Ewen <jewen@...> wrote:

                  > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units
                  >
                  > If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                  > reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                  > and get a couple sporadic responses...

                  Send me your information that you want added to the wiki if you can't
                  figure it out yourself, and I'll edit the page. Send me the
                  information to include in the columns please...

                  If you put it together like this:

                  |AvMap||Geosat G5 ||in/out||Full Support || 20 ||SiRFStar III|| No ||
                  $GPWPL limited icons $PKWDWPL full icons|-

                  it makes it really easy for me to add to the page.

                  There have been a couple additions in the last couple hours.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                    On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

                    > now I understand that based on speed its
                    > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

                    Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
                    inversely proportional relationship.

                    > but what happens beyond
                    > the high speed and below the slow speed...

                    Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
                    high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

                    > and how does it calculate
                    > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                    Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

                    beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

                    where speed is your current speed.

                    > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                    > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                    > curious.

                    As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
                    more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
                    SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
                    http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html