Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi GPS's

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3 12:18 PM
      Yep, the fleet management interface is now part of the standard T2
      firmware. The 650 will work for messaging, but it won't display waypoints.

      Scott

      denni43 wrote:

      > Howdy,
      >
      > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
      > Tracker2.
      >
      > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
      >
      > Thanks DennisB W7IME

    • Phil Baird
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3 12:30 PM

        Query….what other GPS’s will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the Avmap?

        Thanks….Phil in Bakersfield

        denni43 wrote:

        > Howdy,
        >
        > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
        > Tracker2.
        >
        > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
        >
        > Thanks DennisB W7IME

      • Ron N9QGS
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3 1:36 PM
          The Garmin 60C does but no messaging, there is other variations of the 60 that do it as well

          Sent from my iPhone

          denni43 wrote:

          > Howdy,
          >
          > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
          > Tracker2.
          >
          > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
          >
          > Thanks DennisB W7IME

        • Ron N9QGS
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3 1:40 PM
            Scott,

            How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
            message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
            to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
            messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3 1:40 PM
              On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Phil Baird <mypactor@...> wrote:

              > Query….what other GPS's will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the
              > Avmap?

              Quite a number...

              http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units

              If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
              reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
              and get a couple sporadic responses...

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3 2:17 PM
                > How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
                > message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
                > to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
                > messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

                When a message comes in, it dings and shows an alert icon. Tapping that
                icon or going to the inbox will display the message.

                To compose a message, you tap on the message icon (under the dispatch
                menu) and use the on-screen keyboard. Since the nüvi doesn't provide a
                destination field (it was intended for communication with a central
                dispatch service) you can start the message with "-callsign" to address
                it. For example, "-n1vg Hello." sends a message to N1VG. If you
                exclude the callsign, it sends a reply to the last station it received a
                message from.

                Scott
              • Ron N9QGS
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3 9:03 PM
                  I would like to know one more thing about the smart beaconing of the
                  T2-135. I know when you choose a slow speed and a fast speed and
                  number of seconds for both. now I understand that based on speed its
                  a linear line between the fast and slow speed, but what happens beyond
                  the high speed and below the slow speed... and how does it calculate
                  when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                  Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                  is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                  curious. Ron
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3 11:15 PM
                    On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, James Ewen <jewen@...> wrote:

                    > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units
                    >
                    > If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                    > reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                    > and get a couple sporadic responses...

                    Send me your information that you want added to the wiki if you can't
                    figure it out yourself, and I'll edit the page. Send me the
                    information to include in the columns please...

                    If you put it together like this:

                    |AvMap||Geosat G5 ||in/out||Full Support || 20 ||SiRFStar III|| No ||
                    $GPWPL limited icons $PKWDWPL full icons|-

                    it makes it really easy for me to add to the page.

                    There have been a couple additions in the last couple hours.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3 11:36 PM
                      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

                      > now I understand that based on speed its
                      > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

                      Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
                      inversely proportional relationship.

                      > but what happens beyond
                      > the high speed and below the slow speed...

                      Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
                      high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

                      > and how does it calculate
                      > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                      Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

                      beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

                      where speed is your current speed.

                      > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                      > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                      > curious.

                      As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
                      more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
                      SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
                      http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html