Re: [tnballoon] TABEL-5 is a go

  • Bruce W. Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2008
      TABEL-5 was launched at 1510UTC and landed approximately 1703UTC.
      Landing was in a tree in the front yard of a home in a Southwest
      Smyrna neighborhood (35.9393, -86.5048).

      The balloon was tangled around the parachute causing it to streamer in
      and land about 18 minutes after bursting rather than the expected
      27-30 minutes. Max recorded altitude was 97474 ft.

      The OT1x that was part of the APRS tracker payload seemed to
      malfunction in an odd way. The settings were supposed to have it
      beacon in Profile 1, every 60 seconds, with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
      until it reached about 10000ft. After reaching 10000ft. it was
      supposed to switch to Profile 2 and beacon every 20 seconds direct.
      When reaching 7000ft o descent it was supposed to switch back to
      Profile 1. Instead it beaconed using Profile 2 right at launch and
      switched to Profile 1 at about 10000 ft. Thus QRMing the world for
      hundreds of miles around. Sorry, that was not my intention. Later I
      will do some further investigation of the tracker. At landing the snap
      on 9v battery connector came off the pack so that it was not
      transmitting while swinging in the tree it landed in.

      I have been told that our ATV signal was seen in Oklahoma , Illinois,
      Ohio, and Kentucky.
      Thanks to Dean - K4NQV, Hank - W4HTB, Farrell - W8ZCF, and David -
      N3VUH for the signal reports.

      To answer one of the email questions: the ATV package included a Video
      overlay board that accepted GPS data and put it on the screen with the
      ID. A GPS receiver was part of the ATV package. It was because of this
      that when we got close we could see the video and read the coordinates
      from the video which helped find the package after the tracker went
      off the air.

      We hope to have more info for this flight posted to the Tennessee
      Balloon Group web page soon.
      <http://nt4bg.net>

      If anyone has links or other info regarding video captured from the
      ATV package please send it to me.
      <martinbw+balloon@...>

      I would like to thank Terry Trapp, KE4PJW for assistance in putting
      together to packages for the flight and for purchasing the balloon.
      Thanks to Robin Midget, K4IDC for gettig the hydrogen used as a
      lifting gas.
      And thanks to the ground crew at the launch: Jim Boldizsar, KC4ZNX,
      Holli King, KI4PSP, and Paul Earles, KI4AMX.

      Thanks,

      Bruce

      On Aug 1, 2008, at 6:04 PM, Bruce W. Martin wrote:

      > The Tennessee Balloon Group (NT4BG) will be launching our fifth
      > experimental package on Saturday, August 2nd at 10:00 AM.
      > The launch location will be at the QTH of:
      >
      > Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
      > 8749 Lebanon Rd.
      > Mt. Juliet, TN 37122
      > 36 13.990N 086 28.220W
      > EM66sf
      >
      > The main experiment will be an ATV payload with the downlink on 439.25
      > MHz.
      > The package includes:
      > Videolynx ATV transmitter ~3.5W
      > Byonics PocketFox chip in a TinyTrack3 for audio ID
      > Intuitive Circuits OSD-GPS board for Video ID and GPS info
      > Rockwell Jupiter GPS board
      > 12V Lithium AA battery pack
      >
      > Additional package is an APRS tracker, callsign is NT4BG-11.
      >
      > We will also use a 50mW 2m (146.565MHz) FM/morse code ID Beacon.
      >
      > We will use a 1500g Balloon and a sub one pound, 60 inch parachute.
      >
      > We will use Hydrogen as the lifting gas.
      >
      > Total payload weight should be about 6 lbs.
      >
      > We hope to reach over 100K feet. There is no cut down mechanism.
      >
      > Please join us for the launch or chase of this balloon.
      > We will use 444.975+, CTCSS 107.2 during the chase.
      > Preparation for launch starts at 8:00AM.
      >
      > Let us know if you are able to monitor any of the payloads and include
      > your location and ay other pertinent data by emailing to <martinbw+balloon@...
      >> .
      >

      > Current predictions show a landing in the vicinity of Lascassas, TN.
      >
      > Bruce
      >

      > --
      > Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
      > Tennessee Balloon Group, NT4BG

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2008
        Bruce,

        I hope you have some pictures of the payload string at the time of liftoff you could send me please?

        Since this is fresh flight I'd like to see how you had things set up.

        I hear of this happening where the leftovers of the balloon fouls up the chute.

        But just don't quite understand this.

        This is the 20th year we have been doing these flights now,  and yet to have that happen even once.
        So  maybe i can see something other groups are doing differently than we have done or i should say do.

        Joe WB9SBD
        Near Space Sciences

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional