Re: [tracker2] Garmin Nuvi GPS's

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
      Dennis W7IME wrote...

      > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
      > Tracker2. Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also
      > supported ??

      I don't have a Nuvi, but as far as I know, the Nuvi 350 is the only one
      that updates the position of waypoints sent to the Nuvi rather than
      creating a "breadcrumb" track of multiple waypoints with a different
      number on the end. The hope is that Garmin will provide an update to the
      other Nuvi models. Although the 350 is very compact, I am sure some
      people would rather use one of the larger models, so it is really to
      Garmin's advantage to provide the update. They would probably sell
      more of the newer / larger (more expensive) models that way.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • denni43
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
        Thanks Keith,

        I came across a great deal on a 650 and if it had the Fleet Updating
        I'd buy it.

        The going price for a 350 seems to be about $200, so it's probably
        time to get one, before they all disappear.

        Thanks for the info.... DennisB W7IME

        > Dennis W7IME wrote...
        >
        > > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
        > > Tracker2. Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also
        > > supported ??
        >
        > I don't have a Nuvi, but as far as I know, the Nuvi 350 is the only one
        > that updates the position of waypoints sent to the Nuvi rather than
        > creating a "breadcrumb" track of multiple waypoints with a different
        > number on the end. The hope is that Garmin will provide an update to the
        > other Nuvi models. Although the 350 is very compact, I am sure some
        > people would rather use one of the larger models, so it is really to
        > Garmin's advantage to provide the update. They would probably sell
        > more of the newer / larger (more expensive) models that way.
        >
        > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

      • Ron N9QGS
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
          Nuvi 350 refurbished $169 at compusa.com

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
            Yep, the fleet management interface is now part of the standard T2
            firmware. The 650 will work for messaging, but it won't display waypoints.

            Scott

            denni43 wrote:

            > Howdy,
            >
            > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
            > Tracker2.
            >
            > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
            >
            > Thanks DennisB W7IME

          • Phil Baird
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008

              Query….what other GPS’s will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the Avmap?

              Thanks….Phil in Bakersfield

              denni43 wrote:

              > Howdy,
              >
              > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
              > Tracker2.
              >
              > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
              >
              > Thanks DennisB W7IME

            • Ron N9QGS
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                The Garmin 60C does but no messaging, there is other variations of the 60 that do it as well

                Sent from my iPhone

                denni43 wrote:

                > Howdy,
                >
                > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
                > Tracker2.
                >
                > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
                >
                > Thanks DennisB W7IME

              • Ron N9QGS
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                  Scott,

                  How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
                  message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
                  to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
                  messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                    On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Phil Baird <mypactor@...> wrote:

                    > Query….what other GPS's will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the
                    > Avmap?

                    Quite a number...

                    http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units

                    If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                    reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                    and get a couple sporadic responses...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                      > How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
                      > message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
                      > to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
                      > messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

                      When a message comes in, it dings and shows an alert icon. Tapping that
                      icon or going to the inbox will display the message.

                      To compose a message, you tap on the message icon (under the dispatch
                      menu) and use the on-screen keyboard. Since the nüvi doesn't provide a
                      destination field (it was intended for communication with a central
                      dispatch service) you can start the message with "-callsign" to address
                      it. For example, "-n1vg Hello." sends a message to N1VG. If you
                      exclude the callsign, it sends a reply to the last station it received a
                      message from.

                      Scott
                    • Ron N9QGS
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                        I would like to know one more thing about the smart beaconing of the
                        T2-135. I know when you choose a slow speed and a fast speed and
                        number of seconds for both. now I understand that based on speed its
                        a linear line between the fast and slow speed, but what happens beyond
                        the high speed and below the slow speed... and how does it calculate
                        when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                        Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                        is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                        curious. Ron
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                          On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, James Ewen <jewen@...> wrote:

                          > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units
                          >
                          > If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                          > reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                          > and get a couple sporadic responses...

                          Send me your information that you want added to the wiki if you can't
                          figure it out yourself, and I'll edit the page. Send me the
                          information to include in the columns please...

                          If you put it together like this:

                          |AvMap||Geosat G5 ||in/out||Full Support || 20 ||SiRFStar III|| No ||
                          $GPWPL limited icons $PKWDWPL full icons|-

                          it makes it really easy for me to add to the page.

                          There have been a couple additions in the last couple hours.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                            On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

                            > now I understand that based on speed its
                            > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

                            Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
                            inversely proportional relationship.

                            > but what happens beyond
                            > the high speed and below the slow speed...

                            Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
                            high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

                            > and how does it calculate
                            > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                            Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

                            beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

                            where speed is your current speed.

                            > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                            > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                            > curious.

                            As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
                            more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
                            SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
                            http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html