Garmin Nuvi GPS's

  • denni43
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
      Howdy,

      Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
      Tracker2.

      Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??

      Thanks DennisB W7IME
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
        Dennis W7IME wrote...

        > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
        > Tracker2. Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also
        > supported ??

        I don't have a Nuvi, but as far as I know, the Nuvi 350 is the only one
        that updates the position of waypoints sent to the Nuvi rather than
        creating a "breadcrumb" track of multiple waypoints with a different
        number on the end. The hope is that Garmin will provide an update to the
        other Nuvi models. Although the 350 is very compact, I am sure some
        people would rather use one of the larger models, so it is really to
        Garmin's advantage to provide the update. They would probably sell
        more of the newer / larger (more expensive) models that way.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • denni43
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
          Thanks Keith,

          I came across a great deal on a 650 and if it had the Fleet Updating
          I'd buy it.

          The going price for a 350 seems to be about $200, so it's probably
          time to get one, before they all disappear.

          Thanks for the info.... DennisB W7IME

          > Dennis W7IME wrote...
          >
          > > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
          > > Tracker2. Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also
          > > supported ??
          >
          > I don't have a Nuvi, but as far as I know, the Nuvi 350 is the only one
          > that updates the position of waypoints sent to the Nuvi rather than
          > creating a "breadcrumb" track of multiple waypoints with a different
          > number on the end. The hope is that Garmin will provide an update to the
          > other Nuvi models. Although the 350 is very compact, I am sure some
          > people would rather use one of the larger models, so it is really to
          > Garmin's advantage to provide the update. They would probably sell
          > more of the newer / larger (more expensive) models that way.
          >
          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

        • Ron N9QGS
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2008
            Nuvi 350 refurbished $169 at compusa.com

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
              Yep, the fleet management interface is now part of the standard T2
              firmware. The 650 will work for messaging, but it won't display waypoints.

              Scott

              denni43 wrote:

              > Howdy,
              >
              > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
              > Tracker2.
              >
              > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
              >
              > Thanks DennisB W7IME

            • Phil Baird
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008

                Query….what other GPS’s will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the Avmap?

                Thanks….Phil in Bakersfield

                denni43 wrote:

                > Howdy,
                >
                > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
                > Tracker2.
                >
                > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
                >
                > Thanks DennisB W7IME

              • Ron N9QGS
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                  The Garmin 60C does but no messaging, there is other variations of the 60 that do it as well

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  denni43 wrote:

                  > Howdy,
                  >
                  > Some time back there was a discussion on linking the Nuvi 350 to the
                  > Tracker2.
                  >
                  > Is this still happening and if it is, is the Nuvi 650 also supported ??
                  >
                  > Thanks DennisB W7IME

                • Ron N9QGS
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                    Scott,

                    How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
                    message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
                    to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
                    messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                      On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Phil Baird <mypactor@...> wrote:

                      > Query….what other GPS's will display waypoints besides the Nuvi 350 and the
                      > Avmap?

                      Quite a number...

                      http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units

                      If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                      reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                      and get a couple sporadic responses...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                        > How does the messaging on the Nuvi 350 work? I mean composing a
                        > message to a station and receiving a message what steps does one have
                        > to do since I'm not familiar within Garmin gps's to fill out or recv
                        > messages. How does the unit notify u of a new message? Ron

                        When a message comes in, it dings and shows an alert icon. Tapping that
                        icon or going to the inbox will display the message.

                        To compose a message, you tap on the message icon (under the dispatch
                        menu) and use the on-screen keyboard. Since the nüvi doesn't provide a
                        destination field (it was intended for communication with a central
                        dispatch service) you can start the message with "-callsign" to address
                        it. For example, "-n1vg Hello." sends a message to N1VG. If you
                        exclude the callsign, it sends a reply to the last station it received a
                        message from.

                        Scott
                      • Ron N9QGS
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                          I would like to know one more thing about the smart beaconing of the
                          T2-135. I know when you choose a slow speed and a fast speed and
                          number of seconds for both. now I understand that based on speed its
                          a linear line between the fast and slow speed, but what happens beyond
                          the high speed and below the slow speed... and how does it calculate
                          when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                          Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                          is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                          curious. Ron
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                            On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, James Ewen <jewen@...> wrote:

                            > http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Hardware#APRS_Compatible_GPS_Units
                            >
                            > If people would add their information here, it would make a nice
                            > reference page. Instead, people ask the same question over and over,
                            > and get a couple sporadic responses...

                            Send me your information that you want added to the wiki if you can't
                            figure it out yourself, and I'll edit the page. Send me the
                            information to include in the columns please...

                            If you put it together like this:

                            |AvMap||Geosat G5 ||in/out||Full Support || 20 ||SiRFStar III|| No ||
                            $GPWPL limited icons $PKWDWPL full icons|-

                            it makes it really easy for me to add to the page.

                            There have been a couple additions in the last couple hours.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008
                              On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

                              > now I understand that based on speed its
                              > a linear line between the fast and slow speed,

                              Actually, it does not describe a linear relationship, but rather an
                              inversely proportional relationship.

                              > but what happens beyond
                              > the high speed and below the slow speed...

                              Below the low speed threshold, your beacon rate = slow rate. Above the
                              high speed threshold, your beacon rate = fast rate.

                              > and how does it calculate
                              > when your speed may be fluctuating due to traffic lights going straight.

                              Your beacon rate is calculated immediately:

                              beacon_rate = fast_rate * high_speed_threshold / speed;

                              where speed is your current speed.

                              > Reason I ask if I set my slow speed to 5 or 10 mph and 1800 seconds,
                              > is it 1800 if Im going 5 or 0, or is 0 maybe now 2300 seconds, just
                              > curious.

                              As above, it will be 1800 or whatever your slow_rate is set to... for
                              more information about SmartBeaconing, check out the home of
                              SmartBeaconing, where it was invented:
                              http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/smartbeacon.html