Question about creating radio cable between my tracker2 and icom 2100 mike port

  • sprovost64
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2008
      Hello, I have most of the pins determined with making my cable that
      goes from the icom 2100 mike port to the 9 pin female port on the
      tracker2

      What I am confused about is how to connect the PTT and PTT ground
      connections to the tracker 2's PTT in and PTT out connections.

      Any help is sure appreciated.

      thanks
      stephen KC8WQL
    • Ron N9QGS
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2008
        I have a cable wired for the IC-2200 works fine, same pins? Ron

        On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:10 PM, sprovost64 wrote:

        > Hello, I have most of the pins determined with making my cable that
        > goes from the icom 2100 mike port to the 9 pin female port on the
        > tracker2
        >
        > What I am confused about is how to connect the PTT and PTT ground
        > connections to the tracker 2's PTT in and PTT out connections.
        >
        > Any help is sure appreciated.
        >
        > thanks
        > stephen KC8WQL

      • sprovost64
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
          Ron-thanks for replying.
          I can use your pinout for the IC2200 if you would be kind to reply
          with your pinout of the cable.
          I need to know how the PTT cabling works.
          thanks
          stephen KC8WQL

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Ron N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

          > I have a cable wired for the IC-2200 works fine, same pins? Ron
          >
          > On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:10 PM, sprovost64 wrote:
          >
          > > Hello, I have most of the pins determined with making my cable
          that
          > > goes from the icom 2100 mike port to the 9 pin female port on the
          > > tracker2
          > >
          > > What I am confused about is how to connect the PTT and PTT ground
          > > connections to the tracker 2's PTT in and PTT out connections.
          > >
          > > Any help is sure appreciated.
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > stephen KC8WQL

        • John Galvin
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
            I have posted diagrams of a number of OT and TT interfaces to
            http://garlandr.s412.sureserver.com/graces/Tech-Info.html . Most have been
            inplementedb, but as always Murphy is still around. (2100 is included)

            73, John - N5TIM

            sprovost64 wrote:

            > Ron-thanks for replying.
            > I can use your pinout for the IC2200 if you would be kind to reply
            > with your pinout of the cable.
            > I need to know how the PTT cabling works.
            > thanks
            > stephen KC8WQL
            >
            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, Ron
            > N9QGS <APRSdash9@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a cable wired for the IC-2200 works fine, same pins? Ron
            > >
            > > On Jul 29, 2008, at 11:10 PM, sprovost64 wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hello, I have most of the pins determined with making my cable
            > that
            > > > goes from the icom 2100 mike port to the 9 pin female port on the
            > > > tracker2
            > > >
            > > > What I am confused about is how to connect the PTT and PTT ground
            > > > connections to the tracker 2's PTT in and PTT out connections.
            > > >
            > > > Any help is sure appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > > stephen KC8WQL

            John Galvin - N5TIM
            http://www.qsl.net/n5tim for Public Service Info
            http://www.garlandraces.net/

            JUNK - Stuff we throw away ... STUFF - Junk we keep!
          • Ron N9QGS
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
              Okay I am going to admit I'm starting to get frustrated.. I went from
              a Yaesu FT-1500 and TinyTrak to an Alinco DR-135 and the T2-135. I
              spent many hours when I got the radio and board getting stuff to work
              finally I put it a side and today I got my 5 Volt Garmin 18 from GPS
              City, it required me to program it to send NMEA, all good and tested
              and no matter how I configure everything I still cant get it to work.
              I got one transmission at some point that seemed to work, and Im not
              sure why that was but I cant get it to do anything useful, even if I
              set it to transmit every 10 seconds with no GPS fix required, it
              doesn't key up every ten seconds just the first time you power the
              radio up.

              Has anyone remotely had the issues I am going through setting up there
              tracker using the Alinco and T2-135? Oh it works great with decoding
              in APRS+SA by the way, I can't get it to work in WinAPRS yet, I can
              switch between the programs and I have I swear the setting correct.
              The other day it worked fine with WinAPRS. I almost feel like I have
              concept of how to configure this thing, even when I load the firmware
              fresh I put my call in and restart the unit with the GPS plug in the
              front , nothing... ever...

              Can anyone help me debug what I am doing wrong? Its probably
              something smaking me right in the face and I dont know it cause Im
              proably not understanding something, a mode or something. Im going
              back to starting at the manual..

              Ron
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                The most common thing that'll cause that is having SmartBeaconing turned
                on. Since you're (presumably) sitting still when you're testing on the
                bench, it'll transmit at the low beacon rate, which might be every 15
                minutes by default.

                For testing, the first thing you should do is disable SmartBeaconing and
                see if it makes a difference.

                Scott

                Ron N9QGS wrote:

                > Okay I am going to admit I'm starting to get frustrated.. I went from
                > a Yaesu FT-1500 and TinyTrak to an Alinco DR-135 and the T2-135. I
                > spent many hours when I got the radio and board getting stuff to work
                > finally I put it a side and today I got my 5 Volt Garmin 18 from GPS
                > City, it required me to program it to send NMEA, all good and tested
                > and no matter how I configure everything I still cant get it to work.
                > I got one transmission at some point that seemed to work, and Im not
                > sure why that was but I cant get it to do anything useful, even if I
                > set it to transmit every 10 seconds with no GPS fix required, it
                > doesn't key up every ten seconds just the first time you power the
                > radio up.
                >
                > Has anyone remotely had the issues I am going through setting up there
                > tracker using the Alinco and T2-135? Oh it works great with decoding
                > in APRS+SA by the way, I can't get it to work in WinAPRS yet, I can
                > switch between the programs and I have I swear the setting correct.
                > The other day it worked fine with WinAPRS. I almost feel like I have
                > concept of how to configure this thing, even when I load the firmware
                > fresh I put my call in and restart the unit with the GPS plug in the
                > front , nothing... ever...
                >
                > Can anyone help me debug what I am doing wrong? Its probably
                > something smaking me right in the face and I dont know it cause Im
                > proably not understanding something, a mode or something. Im going
                > back to starting at the manual..
                >
                > Ron

              • Ron N9QGS
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                  I do have that unchecked... and this is how it defaults when I reload
                  the firmware. Is it possible that I can call you at some convenient
                  point and discuss this with you? Ron

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Possibly, but I'm not sure when will be convenient until roughly
                    Saturday at this rate.

                    Also make sure you've got all of the profile switching options
                    unchecked. If you're using port B (the front panel jack) for the GPS,
                    keep the PC connected to the rear panel and use the POSITION command to
                    see if it's getting accurate data from the GPS.

                    If you can send me your configuration file (use the 'save' option in
                    otwincfg and send it to me off-list) I'll take a look at it.

                    Scott

                    Ron N9QGS wrote:

                    > I do have that unchecked... and this is how it defaults when I reload
                    > the firmware. Is it possible that I can call you at some convenient
                    > point and discuss this with you? Ron
                    >
                    > On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:14 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                    >
                    > > The most common thing that'll cause that is having SmartBeaconing
                    > > turned
                    > > on. Since you're (presumably) sitting still when you're testing on
                    > > the
                    > > bench, it'll transmit at the low beacon rate, which might be every 15
                    > > minutes by default.
                    > >
                    > > For testing, the first thing you should do is disable SmartBeaconing
                    > > and
                    > > see if it makes a difference.
                    > >
                    > > Scott
                    > >
                    > > Ron N9QGS wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> Okay I am going to admit I'm starting to get frustrated.. I went from
                    > >> a Yaesu FT-1500 and TinyTrak to an Alinco DR-135 and the T2-135. I
                    > >> spent many hours when I got the radio and board getting stuff to work
                    > >> finally I put it a side and today I got my 5 Volt Garmin 18 from GPS
                    > >> City, it required me to program it to send NMEA, all good and tested
                    > >> and no matter how I configure everything I still cant get it to work.
                    > >> I got one transmission at some point that seemed to work, and Im not
                    > >> sure why that was but I cant get it to do anything useful, even if I
                    > >> set it to transmit every 10 seconds with no GPS fix required, it
                    > >> doesn't key up every ten seconds just the first time you power the
                    > >> radio up.
                    > >>
                    > >> Has anyone remotely had the issues I am going through setting up
                    > >> there
                    > >> tracker using the Alinco and T2-135? Oh it works great with decoding
                    > >> in APRS+SA by the way, I can't get it to work in WinAPRS yet, I can
                    > >> switch between the programs and I have I swear the setting correct.
                    > >> The other day it worked fine with WinAPRS. I almost feel like I have
                    > >> concept of how to configure this thing, even when I load the firmware
                    > >> fresh I put my call in and restart the unit with the GPS plug in the
                    > >> front , nothing... ever...
                    > >>
                    > >> Can anyone help me debug what I am doing wrong? Its probably
                    > >> something smaking me right in the face and I dont know it cause Im
                    > >> proably not understanding something, a mode or something. Im going
                    > >> back to starting at the manual..
                    > >>
                    > >> Ron

                  • Ron N9QGS
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                      You may have helped me, okay the front port is BMODE, I believe that
                      defaults to FLOW and A is AUTO. Do I need to set AMODE and BMODE to
                      AUTO? for the tracker to work off the front port?

                      I did not think to check the position command.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                        Yes, BMODE should be AUTO if you're using the front panel. The T2-135
                        isn't even supposed to take FLOW as an option - I'm going to have to
                        check on that. Also check that BBAUD is 4800, assuming you didn't
                        change the baud rate of the GPS.

                        AMODE can be something other than AUTO, but unless it's plugged into a
                        Garmin or PC running KISS, you should just leave it set to AUTO.

                        Scott

                        Ron N9QGS wrote:

                        > You may have helped me, okay the front port is BMODE, I believe that
                        > defaults to FLOW and A is AUTO. Do I need to set AMODE and BMODE to
                        > AUTO? for the tracker to work off the front port?
                        >
                        > I did not think to check the position command.
                        > On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                        >
                        > > Possibly, but I'm not sure when will be convenient until roughly
                        > > Saturday at this rate.
                        > >
                        > > Also make sure you've got all of the profile switching options
                        > > unchecked. If you're using port B (the front panel jack) for the GPS,
                        > > keep the PC connected to the rear panel and use the POSITION command
                        > > see if it's getting accurate data from the GPS.
                        > >
                        > > If you can send me your configuration file (use the 'save' option in
                        > > otwincfg and send it to me off-list) I'll take a look at it.
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > >
                        > > Ron N9QGS wrote:
                        > >>

                        > >> I do have that unchecked... and this is how it defaults when I reload
                        > >> the firmware. Is it possible that I can call you at some convenient
                        > >> point and discuss this with you? Ron

                      • Ron N9QGS
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                          what is the POSITION Command suppose to show me when I typed it it
                          just says GPS, I was maybe expecting coordinates? Also should I get
                          some flashing light from the T2-135 board as it see NMEA data, Im not
                          seeing this. No I left the GPS at 4800 baud sending nmea every second
                          and I selected two statements to send RMC and GGA I believe , Could
                          it be looking for some other NMEA sentence?

                          Ron

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                            POSITION will report GPS followed by the coordinates if it has a valid
                            fix. GPS just means it's set to use the GPS, but isn't getting a valid fix.

                            RMC and GGA are the two you need. It'll take GLL, but there's no need
                            for it if you have either of the other two.

                            Can you hear a faint noise every second as it sends data? Most DR-135s
                            seem to have an audio crosstalk problem and you can hear the GPS data on
                            the speaker. Are you sure the GPS is wired correctly? Off the top of
                            my head, I think it should be white -> tip, red -> ring, black -> sleeve
                            for the GPS 18 LVC.

                            Hmm... the power output on the DR-135 isn't quite 5 volts. I wonder if
                            that might be marginal for the GPS 18. I've wired a few that way, but
                            it's not nearly as common as the SiRF receivers (Deluo or ADS-GM1) and
                            if a certain percentage don't like that voltage, I might not have seen a
                            problem yet. If you're able, it probably wouldn't hurt to try hooking
                            it up to an external 5 volt supply to rule out that as a problem.

                            Scott

                            Ron N9QGS wrote:

                            > what is the POSITION Command suppose to show me when I typed it it
                            > just says GPS, I was maybe expecting coordinates? Also should I get
                            > some flashing light from the T2-135 board as it see NMEA data, Im not
                            > seeing this. No I left the GPS at 4800 baud sending nmea every second
                            > and I selected two statements to send RMC and GGA I believe , Could
                            > it be looking for some other NMEA sentence?
                            >
                            > Ron
                            >
                            > On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
                            >
                            > > Yes, BMODE should be AUTO if you're using the front panel. The T2-135
                            > > isn't even supposed to take FLOW as an option - I'm going to have to
                            > > check on that. Also check that BBAUD is 4800, assuming you didn't
                            > > change the baud rate of the GPS.
                            > >
                            > > AMODE can be something other than AUTO, but unless it's plugged into a
                            > > Garmin or PC running KISS, you should just leave it set to AUTO.
                            > >
                            > > Scott
                            > >
                            > > Ron N9QGS wrote:
                            > >>

                            > >> You may have helped me, okay the front port is BMODE, I believe that
                            > >> defaults to FLOW and A is AUTO. Do I need to set AMODE and BMODE to
                            > >> AUTO? for the tracker to work off the front port?
                            > >>
                            > >> I did not think to check the position command.

                          • Ron N9QGS
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 30, 2008
                              Thank you Scott, It seems that I should lean back to inspecting the
                              GPS and wiring. It doesnt hurt for me to concentrate in that area. I
                              will report back tomorrow. Have a great evening. I did use the
                              voltage from the Alinco front port to power the GPS as the 2nd ground
                              and data wires were wired to PC DB-9 and the GPS functioned fine under
                              those conditions. voltage also is 4.65v on the alinco which is well
                              within operating spec of the 18. But let me go play around with it.
                              I have ways of testing this further. I will report back tomorrow

                              Ron