Re: [tracker2] Digipeater

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 24, 2008
      Yes. And unlike an ordinary TNC, you can send it configuration commands
      by APRS message, so you can control it from the other side of the planet
      if there's a properly configured IGate in range.

      Scott

      gervais fillion wrote:

      > hi
      > well can the OT2 be used on a mountain as a digi just like an ordinary
      > tnc???
      >
      > gervais

    • tbanks204
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
        I have a Tracker2 With an Alinco DR-135 radio that I am trying to use as a digipeater, KC0WNY but I guess there are things I don't under stand about this concept. I have two other mobile units, one being Kenwood TM-710A, KC0WNY-14, how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations. Digipeat is set to on with the Tracker2, Please yell at me softly, as I am not the sharpest tack in the box with this issue. Thank You KC0WNY
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
          KC0WNY wrote...

          > I have a Tracker2 With an Alinco DR-135 radio that I am
          > trying to use as a digipeater, KC0WNY but I guess there are
          > things I don't under stand about this concept. I have two other
          > mobile units, one being Kenwood TM-710A, KC0WNY-14,
          > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile
          > KC0WNY-14, I never see anything originating from
          > KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.
          > Digipeat is set to on with the Tracker2...

          I was going to say that perhaps the T20135 wasn't beaconing,
          but it is. However, fixed stations, let alone digipeaters, should
          not use WIDE1-1 in their path, and there is seldom anything to
          be gained when its own beacons go out with a three hop path.
          Those beacons with long paths are really just causing QRM
          for those around you.

          2013-04-23 13:14:17 PDT:
          KC0WNY>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,KC0U-1
          :!3748.06N/09556.91W# 12.4V Voice on 145.700

          You are being heard direct and being gated by KCOU-1.
          However, I see you later dropped the WIDE1-1. That's
          a step in the right direction. Consider whether you can
          reduce that one more hop down to just WIDE2-1 for
          its own beacons! 8-)

          So... it is beaconing and it is being heard, at least by
          KCOU-1. However, there is the possibility that there just
          isn't a lot of traffic for the digi to hear and digipeat, but
          see below.

          Turning to KC0WNY-14...

          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY-14&limit=1000&view=normal

          With only one exception, it was heard direct by an IGate
          the last 1000 beacons that it sent. It could very well have
          been digipeated, by other digipeaters and your own, but
          it is consistently making it to an IGate without needing
          any help from a digi. Back on April 15, a single beacon
          made it to an IGate with the help from a digi. You really
          need to look on RF to see what is happening on RF... e.g.
          if you look on the D710, you may find that it is consistently
          hearing KC0WNY direct, just like the IGates are.

          www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-KC0WNY?sort=lastheard-d

          It appears that at least 7 stations have gone through KC02NY
          this year and made it to an IGate... N70SH, MATFLD, KA7PHJ-11,
          KTCHM, K0SUN-4, K0LTB-7 and N219RV.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Teddy Banks
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
            Yes, I know about the path, and I changed it back to Wide2-2, I was just doing some testing, why? I have no idea. Thanks for the Info.
            On 4/23/2013 4:59 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

            KC0WNY wrote...

            > I have a Tracker2 With an Alinco DR-135 radio that I am
            > trying to use as a digipeater, KC0WNY but I guess there are
            > things I don't under stand about this concept. I have two other
            > mobile units, one being Kenwood TM-710A, KC0WNY-14,
            > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile
            > KC0WNY-14, I never see anything originating from
            > KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.
            > Digipeat is set to on with the Tracker2...

            I was going to say that perhaps the T20135 wasn't beaconing,
            but it is. However, fixed stations, let alone digipeaters, should
            not use WIDE1-1 in their path, and there is seldom anything to
            be gained when its own beacons go out with a three hop path.
            Those beacons with long paths are really just causing QRM
            for those around you.

            2013-04-23 13:14:17 PDT:
            KC0WNY>APOT21,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,KC0U-1
            :!3748.06N/09556.91W# 12.4V Voice on 145.700

            You are being heard direct and being gated by KCOU-1.
            However, I see you later dropped the WIDE1-1. That's
            a step in the right direction. Consider whether you can
            reduce that one more hop down to just WIDE2-1 for
            its own beacons! 8-)

            So... it is beaconing and it is being heard, at least by
            KCOU-1. However, there is the possibility that there just
            isn't a lot of traffic for the digi to hear and digipeat, but
            see below.

            Turning to KC0WNY-14...

            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY-14&limit=1000&view=normal

            With only one exception, it was heard direct by an IGate
            the last 1000 beacons that it sent. It could very well have
            been digipeated, by other digipeaters and your own, but
            it is consistently making it to an IGate without needing
            any help from a digi. Back on April 15, a single beacon
            made it to an IGate with the help from a digi. You really
            need to look on RF to see what is happening on RF... e.g.
            if you look on the D710, you may find that it is consistently
            hearing KC0WNY direct, just like the IGates are.

            www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-KC0WNY?sort=lastheard-d

            It appears that at least 7 stations have gone through KC02NY
            this year and made it to an IGate... N70SH, MATFLD, KA7PHJ-11,
            KTCHM, K0SUN-4, K0LTB-7 and N219RV.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

          • tbanks204
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
              I should also have said that nearest repeater, I estimate is 40 to 50 miles from my location

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                Teddy KC0WNY wrote...

                > Yes, I know about the path, and I changed it back to WIDE2-2,
                > I was just doing some testing, why? I have no idea. Thanks for
                > the Info.

                I would probably back PATH off to a single hop WIDE2-1.
                This of course only affects the path used for its own beacons,
                but it would reduce non-essential traffic around you if it
                was backed off to just a single hop.

                Have you hooked up a terminal program or an APRS client like
                UI-View to the T2-135 to see how much it is decoding? You
                could compare it to what your D710 is hearing. It could be
                that there just aren't a lot of beacons for it to digipeat. However
                the digipeater itself is consistently making it to an IGate direct
                with no help from another digipeater.

                What settings do you have in the T2-135 for ALIAS 1, ALIAS 2
                etc. and HOPLIMIT 1, HOPLIMIT 2 etc. and USEALIAS 1,
                USEALIAS 2 and DIGIID 1, DIGIID 2 etc.?

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Teddy KC0WNY wrote...

                  > I should also have said that nearest repeater, I estimate is
                  > 40 to 50 miles from my location

                  I assume you mean "digipeater" where you said "repeater".
                  If that's the case, I would definitely reduce your own path
                  down to a single hop WIDE2-1. The digi is either going
                  to be heard direct (by a station - fixed or mobile) or by
                  an IGate direct (it seems to be) or if it's heard by that distant
                  digi 40-50 miles away, will get digipeated by it. The function
                  of your digi is to assist mostly mobile stations... either helping
                  them extend their range on RF or helping them get to an
                  IGate. You seem to be consistently making it to an IGate
                  direct, so your digi should definitely help out other stations.
                  You really just need to determine if it is decoding other
                  stations and verify the digipeater settings.

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                • Teddy Banks
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Thanks Keith, I appreciate  your advice, and input,  Path changed to 2-1, and will post some traffic it sees from Terterm Pro for evaluation

                    Teddy KC0WNY wrote...

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                      On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                      > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
                      > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

                      If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
                      originated from anywhere else.

                      When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
                      that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
                      that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
                      that originate from those other origins.

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
                      from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
                      other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
                      show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

                      If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
                      would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
                      will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

                      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

                    • Teddy Banks
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                        Thanks James, it starting to make a little more sense, and btw, if you happen to need a new railroad track built, I could do that :-)
                        On 4/23/2013 7:43 PM, James Ewen wrote:

                        On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM, tbanks204 <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                        > how come when I look at the packets from the mobile KC0WNY-14, I never see
                        > anything originating from KC0WNY from my Digipeater, only from other stations.

                        If you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you will never see packets
                        originated from anywhere else.

                        When you look at packets from KC0WNY-14, you are looking at packets
                        that originate from that station. If you would like to see packets
                        that originate from other origins, you would need to look at packets
                        that originate from those other origins.

                        http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE6SRV will show you packets that originate
                        from my vehicle. You will not see packets that originate from any
                        other station in that list because I have explicitly asked aprs.fi to
                        show me only packets that originate from VE6SRV.

                        If you would like to see packets that originate from KC0WNY, then you
                        would simply ask aprs.fi to show you the same... here's a URL that
                        will show you the packets that originated from KC0WNY:

                        http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KC0WNY&limit=50&view=normal

                        Ham Radio Operators  KCØWNY-KDØACN  Ted & Kay

                      • Ronny Julian
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                          If you mouse over a station and select the info link upper right of the pop up window you will see a page that tells quite a bit about what is routing through a station or Digi.  I look at this on k4rjj-7 to make sure the thing still works as it is out in a remote location.

                          Example

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                            OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I looked at the raw data today, from both stations,  I can see the packets being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane,  I really enjoy this APRS Technology, but I am pretty thick headed,  I guess that about covers it. Thanks

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                              On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Teddy Banks <tbanks204@...> wrote:

                              > OK, the reasion for all the questions is, I am trying to learn how to find
                              > out if my home Station KC0WNY-1, (changed the ID) is doing what I think it
                              > should do, and that is, receive the packets sent from my mobile unit(s) one
                              > being my wife's Car, She is a ham also, with an ID of KC0WNY-14, when I
                              > looked at the raw data today, from both stations, I can see the packets
                              > being picked up by a station ID of Walnut. The reasion I put up my station
                              > is because there is not much APRS Traffic in my local area, and I thought it
                              > would help for tracking purposes with my 2 mobile units. My antenna is about
                              > 30 ft high, and is a diamond 2 mtr ground plane, I really enjoy this APRS
                              > Technology, but I am pretty thick headed, I guess that about covers it.

                              Here's the tricky part about ham radio... you need to use ham radio to
                              monitor ham radio.

                              KC0WNY-14 looks to be a Kenwood TM-D710. That radio can be used for
                              APRS, and it looks like it is. The wonderful thing about the TM-D710
                              over other APRS devices like the TinyTrak and OpenTracker lines when
                              used as TX only devices is that the TM-D710 has a transceiver, TNC,
                              and display all built into one integrated package.

                              So, to figure out if your home station is acting as a digipeater, all
                              you need to do is to go out to your wife's car, and start up the
                              TM-D710. It should fire out a position packet as soon as the attached
                              GPS gets a position lock. The radio will transmit. If your home
                              station is configured properly, and responds to the path used by your
                              wife's car, you will see (on the display of the TM-D710) the words "MY
                              POSITION"which will pop up on the top of the display. You will also
                              see the S/RF meter indicate reception of a signal. The BUSY indicator
                              should also light up. If you have your volume up, and Voice Alert
                              disabled, you will hear a packet burst. If you have incoming packet
                              beeps enabled, you'll also hear a be-doop sound indicating reception
                              of a packet. You can also hit the P.MON button and watch the incoming
                              packets to see if you can see a packet being digipeated by your
                              station, but you need to be pretty quick to catch that flashing by,
                              especially with a GPS on the radio.

                              The radio gives all kinds of indications that it is receiving signals,
                              all you have to do is pay attention to what it is telling you. You've
                              indicated that the closest digipeater to you is 40 to 50 miles away
                              (other than your station). I see MATFLD at 57 km (about 35 miles), so
                              if you are seeing full scale signals of your digipeats, you can be
                              pretty sure that you are seeing digipeats from your station.

                              Another way you can figure out if your DR-135 and Tracker2 combination
                              are working as a digipeater is to sit next to those devices and
                              observe them. Turn up the volume on the DR-135, and watch the lights
                              on the Tracker2. You should be able to hear a packet being received,
                              and observe the RX light on the Tracker2. If the packet is asking for
                              a digipeat and the Tracker2 is configured to respond to that alias,
                              then the Tracker2 will light up it's TX light, and you should see the
                              DR-135 go into TX mode, and send the packet out again.

                              If you have an HT or other radio available, you can tune to 144.390
                              and listen to the activity. You should hear packets from other
                              stations (your wife), and then immediately after, a second
                              transmission, which should correspond with the TX lights as indicated
                              in the paragraph above.

                              So, there's all kinds of information available to let you know if your
                              station is working as desired.

                              Now, if you want to observe the APRS activity via the internet, be
                              prepared to be sorely disappointed because as we have posted
                              continually over the years, the APRS-IS is designed to block ALL but
                              the FIRST copy of a packet that is received. You will NEVER be able to
                              tell exactly what is happening on the APRS RF network when observing
                              the APRS-IS stream via a site such as aprs.fi or findu.com. The
                              information you are interested in seeing is blocked from view.
                              Occasionally you might get a glimpse at some of the desired data, but
                              the APRS-IS is designed to block access to all but the first copy of a
                              packet heard.

                              Packets from your area are being heard directly by KC0U-1, which means
                              that any subsequent digipeats would never get seen on the normal
                              APRS-IS feed.

                              However (isn't there always a however?), KC0U-1 is running
                              APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
                              to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
                              APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
                              network operations.

                              Here's a look at what KC0U-1 has seen over the last 24 hours:

                              http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=KC0U-1

                              There's no legend, but if I recall properly, the numbers in the boxes
                              decode as follows:

                              3+10 means 3 packets originating from the station, and 10 packets
                              digipeated by the station.

                              I've been snooping looking for packets digipeated by your station, but
                              the change in station callsign made my snooping void as I was looking
                              for packets digipeated by KC0WNY... now I'm watching for packets
                              digipeated by KC0WNY-1.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                                Well, snooping finally paid off...

                                2013-04-25T00:39:56
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                                2013-04-25T01:09:52
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                                2013-04-25T01:39:54
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                                2013-04-25T02:07:07
                                W0KCN-4>APU25N,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:=3922.25N/09446.81WoPlatte
                                Co EOC rosmith1@... {UIV32}
                                2013-04-25T02:09:52
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                                2013-04-25T02:39:53
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...
                                2013-04-25T02:45:50
                                K0KU>BEACON,AUBURN*,WIDE1*,LAW*,EMPRIA*,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:;146.76-KS*111111z3857.
                                N/09515. WrT088 R30m Net Tu8pm
                                2013-04-25T03:10:04
                                EMPRIA>APN382,KC0WNY-1*,qAR,KC0U-1:!3823.15NS09610.59W#PHG7560/W2,
                                KSn, Emporia WX0U jbelford@...

                                You can hear the EMPRIA digipeater at least.

                                Oh yeah, I forgot to give you yet another way to observe whether your
                                station is digipeating. On the TM-D710 you can pull up a list of
                                stations heard. Do so, and then go into the details for a station.
                                Press the right arrow button to get to the last page of details, and
                                then press the PATH button to see the first and last digipeater to
                                handle the packet. You should be able to find your digipeater on that
                                page for any station handled by your station. If you press the upper
                                left button while on that page, you will see the digipeaters handling
                                the last heard packet as they come in. You would be able to see your
                                digipeater handling the packets from EMPRIA this way.

                              • Teddy Banks

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 24, 2013
                                    Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                                    traffic.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

                                      > Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                                      > traffic.

                                      It depends on what "this" is...

                                      Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:

                                      http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7

                                      You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                                      Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                                      As per my description in the previous email:

                                      > KC0U-1 is running
                                      > APRSISCE/32, an application that sends an unfiltered stream back home
                                      > to it's master as well as feeding the normal filtered stream to the
                                      > APRS-IS. This unfiltered stream allows us a peek into the real APRS
                                      > network operations.

                                      Only stations running APRSISCE/32 will provide data to Lynn's server
                                      from which he can build these detailed reports. Stations not reporting
                                      information to Lynn will not be able to have reports generated.

                                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 25, 2013
                                        On 4/25/2013 9:10 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                                        > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Should this work for any station or Digi? I put in K4RJJ-7 and see no
                                        >> traffic.
                                        > It depends on what "this" is...
                                        >
                                        > Are you talking about requesting a page from Lynn's server like this:
                                        >
                                        > http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:3000/catchall?FormName=rfTRAFFIC&Action=Display&IGates=K4RJJ-7
                                        >
                                        > You won't get any data for K4RJJ-7 because that appears to be a
                                        > Kantronics TNC running as a stand alone digipeater.

                                        Not to mention, my RFTraffic form only has access to the non-filtered RF
                                        feeds from APRSISCE/32 IGates, not the APRS-IS feed in general.