RE: [tracker2] Question

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2 5:47 PM
      It'll have OpenTRAC protocol support eventually.. but right now APRS is the
      priority.

      Scott

    • Jon
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2007
        Firstly I must preface the question with the caveat,
        that I don't know what the firmware version of the
        tracker2 is, so I must visit the site this week and
        update it.

        I was watching APRS traffic this afternoon as we have
        just put another digi/Igate in place when I spotted
        this.
        2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via WIDE1-1 WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
        pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:40
        0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.
        2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via EI2WCD-2* WIDE1* WIDE2-1
        ctl UIv pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:41
        0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.
        2m: fm EI3JB-9 to U2QTQR via EI2WWD-3* WIDE2-1 ctl UIv
        pid=F0(Text) len 15 19:08:43
        0000 '}^dl .>/]"3r}.

        My question is why the WIDE1* in the second packet? I
        know that the WIDE1 has been used up, but I
        (incorrectly?) assumed that the digipeater would just
        replace the WIDE1-1 with its own callsign and continue
        on, like the third line.

        Regards
        John

      • Cap Pennell
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2007
          Some types of digis will insert their own callsign into the digipeated
          packet one or the other of those ways you spotted. The way either digi type
          _operates_ is not different.

          Depending on the digipeater hardware in use, a user's packet starting out
          addressed via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 may come out of the first digi (DIGIA) showing
          as
          DIGIA,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1
          or as
          DIGIA*,WIDE2-1

          In either case, the last "*" (immediately preceding WIDE2-1) indicates that
          second (WIDE2-1) hop is still available to be operated by the next digi in
          line. Operation is the same in either of those "DIGIA" cases.
          73, Cap KE6AFE

          P.S. After the second hop of the mobile user's WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path, the
          packet's path may look like either:
          DIGIA,WIDE1,DIGIB*,WIDE2
          or
          DIGIA,DIGIB*,WIDE2

        • Jon
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
            --- Cap Pennell <ke6afe@...> wrote:

            > Some types of digis will insert their own callsign
            > into the digipeated
            > packet one or the other of those ways you spotted.
            > The way either digi type
            > _operates_ is not different.
            >
            > Depending on the digipeater hardware in use, a
            > user's packet starting out
            > addressed via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 may come out of the
            > first digi (DIGIA) showing
            > as
            > DIGIA,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1
            > or as
            Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
            DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1

            Which is really what I was querying

            Regards
            John

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2007
              On 3/5/07, Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:
              > Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
              > DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1

              What hardware/software are you using to view the packets?

              The asterisk (*) is a visual representation of the has-been-digipeated
              bit. On the Kantronics equipment, only the last has-been-digipeated
              bit is shown. Xastir on the other hand shows all has-been-digipeated
              bits.

              The format of the packets you have copied to your message is different
              than any that I have seen previously. I know UI-View likes to split
              the packet into 2 lines. I'm just curious as to what you are using to
              view the packets, and possible parameters that make them appear as
              such.

            • Jon
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
                --- James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                > On 3/5/07, Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:
                > > Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
                > > DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1
                >
                > What hardware/software are you using to view the
                > packets?
                >
                > The asterisk (*) is a visual representation of the
                > has-been-digipeated
                > bit. On the Kantronics equipment, only the last
                > has-been-digipeated
                > bit is shown. Xastir on the other hand shows all
                > has-been-digipeated
                > bits.
                >
                > The format of the packets you have copied to your
                > message is different
                > than any that I have seen previously. I know UI-View
                > likes to split
                > the packet into 2 lines. I'm just curious as to what
                > you are using to
                > view the packets, and possible parameters that make
                > them appear as
                > such.

                Oh ok,
                On Linux
                j0n@ei3rcw:~$ listen -t -a
                2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2WCD-2* WIDE2* ctl UI^
                pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:54
                0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
                Tipperary.
                2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2MLD-2* WIDE2 ctl UI^
                pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:55
                0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
                Tipperary.

                They appear to be wrapped by the yahoo email gui :(

                > James
                > VE6SRV

                > --------------------~-->
                > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See
                > the new email design.

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

              • sdroe1956
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                  to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.

                  Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                  Thanks
                  Sam Roe
                  KB7QQQ
                • Curt, WE7U
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:

                    > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                    > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
                    >
                    > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                    *) Search and Rescue.

                    *) Public Service Events (marathons, bike events, horse events,
                    walk-a-thons, etc).

                    *) Source of info while traveling.

                    *) Two-way messaging to other hams.

                    *) One-way e-mails to internet addresses.

                    I've used it for all of the above and probably a few more I can't
                    think of right now.

                    --
                    Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
                    http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                      On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

                      > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:
                      >
                      > > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                      FWIW: My last answer wasn't Tracker2-specific.

                      For mapping you'll need a mapping GPS or a laptop/desktop/PDA.

                      For messaging you'll need one of these:

                      *) Garmin NUVI/Tracker2 combo
                      *) Laptop/desktop plus TNC
                      *) HamHUD plus TNC
                      *) Kenwood APRS radio

                      I'm using an OpenTracker in my Jeep but plan to switch to a Tracker2
                      (I've been saying that for _way_ too long now, and even have a
                      Tracker2 to put there!). This will give me one-way tracking
                      normally, but if I hook it to a laptop or HamHUD I'll have messaging
                      capability. Perhaps I'll get a Garmin NUVI later which will also
                      give me messaging.

                      Plug in a laptop or mapping GPS and I'll be able to see where
                      everybody else is. It'll be a nice setup for a mobile 'cuz when I
                      unplug the laptop I'll be back to the normal one-way tracking.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                        On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, sdroe1956 <kb7qqq@...> wrote:

                        > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
                        > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
                        >
                        > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

                        If you're just going to the expense just so you know where you are, I
                        have a cheaper solution... buy a mirror. If you look into it, and
                        you're not there, then you're in trouble!

                        As Curt said, it's much more than just looking at a webpage to see
                        where you've been. I can find my buddies driving around town, right
                        there on the screen in front of me. When they pop up on my screen, I
                        know they are out driving around, and can call them. Of course if your
                        general conversations revolve around where are you, and what's the
                        weather like, stay away from APRS. All of that is displayed in front
                        of you.

                        You can share frequency information with others, as well as find out
                        the frequencies of local repeaters. You can find out about current
                        activities in the area, and much more.

                        One of the fun things I like to use APRS for, is tracking high
                        altitude balloons, and getting telemetry information from them. When
                        you send a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics up to >100,000
                        feet, it's always nice to be able to get it back. It also helps with
                        getting access to any still images, videos, or experiment payloads you
                        may have carried to altitude.

                        Sam, you obviously haven't sat in on a Bob Bruninga APRS sermon! 8)

                        There's much more to APRS than just tracking your vehicle.

                      • Richard Bauer
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                          we keep one in our camper so friends and family can see where we are.

                          '73,
                          rich, n9dko