RE: [tracker2] Firmware update

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2006
      The difficulty there is that they generally run at different baud rates, and
      Garmins won't talk on their own - you have to send a command to start the
      position/velocity/time updates. In Garmin mode, the T2 probes every few
      seconds - that could do bad things to an NMEA receiver or other serial
      device.

      If I get an autobaud function working, that'd cover part of it anyway - it'd
      be easier to switch from Garmin to NMEA. And maybe I can set it up to probe
      occasionally if it doesn't hear anything at all.

      I was also thinking of having it auto-detect Ultimeter 2000 series weather
      stations, but those add yet another baud rate to check.

      Scott

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
        Ok, latest version is posted. I dug up a revised version of the FSK
        modulator I wrote for the OpenTracker around the end of 2004. It never
        worked right and I gave up on it at the time, but I took another look at it
        and found two bugs - an overlooked flag, and an improperly generated sine
        table. Fixed those and it's working great now.

        The new code expands the PWM output to 7 bits resolution from 4. This
        should produce slightly cleaner audio, but it also provides some extra room
        for scaling.

        The TXLEVEL command is now implemented, and will scale the audio level over
        a fairly wide range. I wouldn't take it below about 32 though, or
        quantization noise might start being a problem.

        I'll have to see if I've got a radio around here that requires a high audio
        drive level, and see if I can get the tracker to work on both that and a
        regular radio with the same hardware setup. At the very least, I'll hook it
        up to a real 'scope tomorrow and see what I can get for usable voltage
        ranges.

        Scott
      • juha.nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 3, 2006
          On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 scott@... wrote:

          > TXLEVEL command is now implemented, and will scale the audio level over
          > a fairly wide range. I wouldn't take it below about 32 though, or
          > quantization noise might start being a problem.

          Are there two hardware PWMs on that chip ? Wondering if there is a neat
          way to "choke" the PWMA by dc from PWMB. Increasing component count,
          tempco problems, ... Just a thought.

          Juha, OH5NXO
        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 3, 2006
            There are, but the other one is used for clock recovery on the receive side.
            If I wanted to use an extra I/O pin, I guess I could switch it between hi-Z
            and low to sink the audio signal to ground through a resistor. That'd give
            two distinct audio ranges.

            Scott

          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
              This one is something of an experiment. The only change is that now in
              Garmin mode the tracker will respond to a product request packet. This is
              what a PC mapping program uses to identify the device it's connected to.

              The big question here is which mapping programs will display incoming
              waypoints when they haven't specifically been requested. I was able to get
              USAPhotoMaps to plot waypoint by selecting the 'receive waypoints' option.
              However, there's no guarantee that'll work properly with all mapping
              programs. When a program requests a waypoint dump, it expects a count of
              the records, followed by the waypoints themselves, followed by an
              end-of-transfer packet. In this case, it's only getting waypoint records.
              What happens depends entirely on how the mapping program was written.

              This should be a good application for the optional FRAM memory. The tracker
              could write all waypoints to memory, and then send them using the normal
              Garmin transfer protocol when requested. Any mapping program that supports
              Garmin waypoint downloads should then be able to do APRS, but it'll require
              user intervention. Still, it'll greatly expand your choices for APRS
              mapping.

              Anyway, if you've got a favorite mapping program, fire it up and try it out,
              let me know what happens.

              Scott
            • Jason Rausch
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
                Scott, when I issue a DISPLAY command there are
                several spots where there is a blank line or lines.
                Is this intentional? I thought you might be trying to
                split up blocks of like commands, but near the top of
                the list is about a 6 line space. Just curious.

                So far, the lastest seems stable and working fine.

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics
                www.rpc-electronics.com

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

              • scott@opentrac.org
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 15, 2006
                  > Scott, when I issue a DISPLAY command there are
                  > several spots where there is a blank line or lines.
                  > Is this intentional? I thought you might be trying to
                  > split up blocks of like commands, but near the top of
                  > the list is about a 6 line space. Just curious.

                  That's an artifact of how it handles the 'array' type commands. One call to
                  ALIAS causes it to spit out the whole list, and to do that it bypasses the
                  usual output mechanism. That's where the extra line break comes in, and it
                  means those commands don't return anything when used remotely. Still
                  looking for a more elegant solution.

                  Ideally, you should be able to paste the output of the DISPLAY command to
                  another tracker and effectively clone the configuration. There might wind
                  up being some exceptions to that, though.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                    I've posted a new build (54076), but it's not on the Yahoo group file
                    section yet. Changes in this version:

                    "POSITION *" now saves the current GPS position to flash and switches to
                    fixed position mode.

                    AUTOSAVE on|off sets the position autosave option. When this option is
                    enabled, the last position is stored to flash if GPS fix is lost and the
                    unit switches to fixed position mode. It switches back to GPS mode as soon
                    as a new fix is available.

                    Custom symbols have been added for balloon, eyeball, TCP/IP, and Xastir.
                    I'll upload the new images soon.

                    NICE <0-255> specifies the number of timed transmissions to skip when the
                    unit hears its own position from a digipeater. For example, setting
                    INTERVAL 60 and NICE 4 will result in a transmission interval of 5 minutes
                    if a digipeated packet is heard, and 1 minute if it isn't.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 9, 2006
                      I just made a slight tweak - the NICE command now only takes effect if the digipeated packet is heard within 5 seconds of a timed transmission.  This might keep you from doing some clever things like setting up two trackers in a failover configuration (as long as they both have the same callsign they'll think the other one is a digi echo), but I think it generally makes more sense and prevents someone else from knocking your transmit rate down by spoofing a packet.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006

                        Interesting idea. Maybe label the base INTERVAL as "NOT NICE" then? hi hi
                        Hope everybody uses _excellent receiving_ antennas to be courteous to all
                        the other users hoping to share the frequency!
                        73, Cap
                      • Cap Pennell
                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006

                          Spoofing a packet to knock your transmit rate down? Is that really likely
                          on our friendly amateur radio VHF APRS network? Wow!
                          Though I've been operating amateur APRS for more than a dozen years, I
                          haven't seen such "malice" in our network. But I _have often_ seen a
                          tendency, especially amongst newusers and those _not watching_ everybody's
                          packets scroll by, to increase transmission rates and broaden digipaths
                          without understanding the effect that has on all the other users of the
                          single frequency.

                          "The Radio Amateur is <snip> FRIENDLY...<snip> cooperation and consideration
                          for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit."

                          For this stuff to keep working and be fun, we all gotta share and play nice,
                          that's all.
                          73, Cap
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                            I stole the name from the Unix utility to set process priority.  If anyone has a better idea, let me know!

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                              I'm not saying it's likely to happen.  You have to remember that I spent a good portion of a decade working on a military base, involved in network security.  I probably have a slightly paranoid mindset about this stuff.  Whenever I code anything like this, I always think about how it might be abused.

                              Granted, there aren't many script kiddies out there trying to trash amateur networks, but you do get some real jerks from time to time.  The FCC enforcement letters provide ample evidence of that.

                              Scott

                              > I just made a slight tweak - the NICE command now only takes
                              > effect if the digipeated packet is heard within 5 seconds of a
                              > timed transmission. This might keep you from doing some clever
                              > things like setting up two trackers in a failover configuration
                              > (as long as they both have the same callsign they'll think the
                              > other one is a digi echo), but I think it generally makes more
                              > sense and prevents someone else from knocking your transmit rate
                              > down by spoofing a packet.
                              >
                              > Scott

                              Spoofing a packet to knock your transmit rate down? Is that really likely
                              on our friendly amateur radio VHF APRS network? Wow!
                              Though I've been operating amateur APRS for more than a dozen years, I
                              haven't seen such "malice" in our network. But I _have often_ seen a
                              tendency, especially amongst newusers and those _not watching_ everybody's
                              packets scroll by, to increase transmission rates and broaden digipaths
                              without understanding the effect that has on all the other users of the
                              single frequency.

                              "The Radio Amateur is <snip> FRIENDLY...< snip> cooperation and consideration
                              for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit."

                              For this stuff to keep working and be fun, we all gotta share and play nice,
                              that's all.
                              73, Cap

                            • Larry Simon
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                I would call that being cautious and prevention. Paranoid is a person with a router, 3 firewalls and 4 antivirus suites. Then turn around and complain that the computer runs slow...

                                Larry Simon
                                KC7QJO

                                .

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 10, 2006
                                  Nah, here's what you need...

                                  If getting it here from San Jose (and finding a place to put it) wasn't such a problem, I might consider it!  More for RF testing than tinfoil hat type uses, but I'm sure it'd work for both.  Keeps out the alien mind control rays.  =]

                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 11, 2006
                                    Nah, here's what you need...

                                    If getting it here from San Jose (and finding a place to put it) wasn't such a problem, I might consider it!  More for RF testing than tinfoil hat type uses, but I'm sure it'd work for both.  Keeps out the alien mind control rays.  =]

                                    Oh man, if you don't want one from San Jose, I'm going to have a heck of a time convincing you to get the one from here... I can probably do quite a bit better on price, but the shipping and customs paperwork from Edmonton, Alberta will probably kill you!

                                    The local ham radio store has got one just like it here in town that'd for sale.

                                    Everyone needs their own Faraday Cage... It works good! I lost the local two metre repeater very nicely when inside. Open the 1 square foot pass through window, and BOOM, in comes the repeater again!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 11, 2006
                                      If I was closer, I'd think about finding a way to do it!  I've considered improvising something here.  Part of the garage is walled off and used to be a darkroom - I wonder how much attenuation I could get by lining it with a fine mesh.  The floor would be a pain, though.  And the kids like to hang out there and wouldn't like getting kicked out.

                                      Scott

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 17, 2008
                                        I promised a firmware update yesterday, but I got into the FMI code and
                                        started running into problems. I'm still working on tracking it all
                                        down, and I'm giving up for the night.

                                        I've fixed a baud rate setting bug that's apparently been there since
                                        the beginning, but would only show up in certain specific configurations.

                                        I also got it to ignore duplicate incoming messages that have already
                                        been received and ACK'd. This generally happens when the sending side
                                        didn't get the ACK. This applies to all incoming messages, and not just
                                        FMI mode.

                                        I've changed the command prefix for FMI messages from '!' to '--'. It's
                                        a lot quicker to type on the Nuvi's on-screen keyboard.

                                        I'll post the new firmware as soon as I get the Garmin comm bug sorted
                                        out. It's hard to tell if this was something that was there before and
                                        it just wasn't obvious that it was missing some position packets, or if
                                        I caused the bug with either the FMI code or the serial handler changes.

                                        Scott
                                      • dondorgram
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 18, 2008
                                          Scott:

                                          I'm not sure whether you stated previously if adding the FMI code
                                          affected any other OT2 functions. I loaded the beta version in OT2s
                                          inluding the ProtoC and used them with the GPSMAP60 as well as the
                                          Nuvi and did not notice any effects. Was anything dropped when the
                                          FMI code was added? Are there any issues we need to be aware of
                                          when we use it with a ProtoC or earlier?

                                          As a quick warning, I might mention I made up a cable similar to the
                                          one described by Joe,W0PWJ, and reaffirm his disclaimer. Using one
                                          might be detrimental to the health of an OT2m using the 78M05.
                                          Charging currents for the Nuvi with a low battery can exceed 300mA.
                                          I used a ProtoC with the bigger 78T05 and it got fairly warm. Will
                                          do a post when I get some more results.

                                          Graham VE6GW

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 18, 2008
                                            No, FMI shouldn't have broken anything - worst case, it might confuse
                                            some non-FMI Garmin receivers, but not if they behave like they're
                                            supposed to. I didn't take out any other functions, either. Proto C
                                            should work fine.

                                            Maybe next time I'll go to a switching regulator - they've got some out
                                            now that'll switch to LDO mode under low loads, so I guess it's the best
                                            of both worlds. (Switching noise AND sensitivity to capacitor ESR! =])

                                            Scott