Re: [tracker2] Symptom: Problems getting seen on findu

  • Jim Tolbert
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
      Many thanx...........

      My path is WIDE2-2.  TXDELAY was only 100, so I will change that to 160 and try again.  The TX Audio Level is about 2/3 of the slider.  My GPS seem to have a very good lock consistently.

      Thx........... jt

      P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

      Jim,

      What is your PATH? set to WIDE1-1,WIDE2- 1
      what is your TXDELAY setting? 100 is probably too short, try setting at 160.
      Also, setting a TXLEVEL at 2/3rd position on the slider might help.

      Maybe your GPS is not sensitive? loss GPS lock too easy that made you're not transmitting your position.

      The others might have other ideas to help you,

      73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi.........

        There seems to be a factor of 4 difference between the TXDELAY set via the otwincfg.exe ( running in wine under linux) and TXDELAY set via the monitor.  The setting set in the config program is 4 times greater than the value seen when checking the T2 via minicom.

        So.... do I want 160 as set by the config program or 160 as set by the monitor or the nuvi 350?

        I just took a drive with half set one way and half set the other in the same places where I have been picked up the last couple of days, but alas..... nothing today ;-{

        Thanks for your ideas............... jt

        Jim Tolbert, KC9MXT

        RiverRidge@...
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          Jim KC9MXT wrote...

          > I have a T2-135 (in a DR-135 obviously) and a Nuvi 350 in my car.
          > I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here!

          http://aprs.fi/?call=KC9MXT
          KC9MXT 2008-07-01 23:16:09z
          NO FIXRiverRidge@... - Webster, WI USA
          [APOT2A via KA9YPF-11,KA9YPF-12,WIDE2*,qAR,KC0RWZ]

          Your message was dated July 2, but as of July 1, KC9MXT was a digi (at
          least going by the symbol) but apparently with a GPS connected, but the
          NO FIX would indicate that the GPS didn't have a lock. However,
          according to www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-KC9MXT it has
          never digipeated anything that subsequently made it to an IGate.

          > As best as I can tell, everything is programmed correctly and appears
          > to be working. I have had only three locations show up on findu.com.
          > My call is KC9MXT and I am near zip=54893. I have received NO
          > packets.

          www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KC9MXT
          There doesn't appear to be a lot of APRS activity around you, but there
          was one mobile station 8 miles away about 17 hours ago. The nearest digi
          appears to be nearly 35 miles away. The first digi you hit the last time
          you gated (KA9YPF-11) was 40 miles from you. Depending on power and
          terrain, the antenna could be a real factor. It never hurts to check the
          SWR. You mentioned that KC9MXT was in a car with a Nuvi 350
          connected. I would start by updating the symbol so it doesn't show as a
          digi. Temporarily connect a terminal program to see if you can hear any
          other activity. Perhaps more gain is needed.

          > What are the best guesses as to my problem
          > -- wimpy antenna? I bought a $20 whip with a magnetic mount -- there
          > seems to no limit as to what can be spent on an antenna and reading
          > the advertisements hasn't helped me. What parameters should I look
          > for?

          Given that the nearest digis are quite distant, improving the antenna
          (high gain, possibly low angle radiation) wouldn't hurt. Do you have
          another antenna you could temporarily use for testing... e.g. a high
          gain base antenna, or a 4 element Yagi? Of course, having a nearby
          digi wouldn't hurt.

          > -- just too far from anyone with an IGate? How can I tell where the
          > IGates are?

          Again... www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KC9MXT
          You were last gated by KC0RWZ just NW of Minneapolis... quite distant
          from you. Look at the other stations - mobile and digis - and see where
          they were gated. Look at the list of other stations and see which digis
          they went through and which IGates they made it to. Better yet, run an
          APRS client like UI-View www.ui-view.org on your home computer.

          > -- setup error -- hardware or software -- Where might I start
          > checking?

          Can other stations decode you? Can you hear any other stations? Can you
          decode other stations? You could get another Tracker 2 and have UI-View
          run as an IGate if there aren't any nearby IGates. It appears there is a
          lack of both digis and IGates close to our location.

          > -- One walkie-talkie problem -- do I just need to get close enough to
          > another site transmitting?

          I don't understand that.

          > I just want to confirm that everything is operating as it should be.

          That requires troubleshooting. Have you done any? Having another
          TNC (another T2 would be just fine) would be helpful. It's difficult
          checking a radio when you have just one. When you have two, the
          possibilities are endless. If you had two radios and two TNCs, you
          wouldn't be dependant on others to prove that your installation was
          all OK.

          > My interest is in using this rig with SAR operations, so I don't
          > really need to talk to the outside world as much as the local
          > transmitters. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional T2 or RTraks
          > yet.

          How you use it is up to you. I mentioned setting up an IGate above.
          While useful to others, it wouldn't be absolutely necessary for what you
          describe, but UI-View (or some other APRS client) wouldn't have to be
          configured as an IGate to be useful to you. If another T2 is on the
          horizon for you, troubleshooting will be a lot easier. The RTrak is a
          dandy device too. I have one so far.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH