Re: [tracker2] Wide Digipeater Setup Question

  • Brent Gay
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2008
      From the feedback I am getting, I need to make sure that what we really need a wide digi instead of simply a fill-in digi. I need to do more research I suppose (the antenna will be 100' high at a good central location--no mountains in the Panhandle).
      The reason for not SSn-n is simply because I do not know whether to digi for all of Florida (FLn-n) or just the North Florida section (NFLn-n), and I do not know what the "n" needs to be. I've read Bob's pag, but he does not get into specifics about certain areas. Again, more reasearch is due on my part.
      I will be getting with the op in Dothan to coordinate with him and get some advise for our area.

      Thanks again,
      Brent, KF4JZY

      On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      Brent KF4JZY wrote...

      > Thanks for the feedback. This will be a "high" digi so I suppose the
      > way I proposed should work well. I am also going to get with the other
      > wide digi ops to coordinate with them.

      but earlier you wrote...

      > I will not be digi-ing for SSn-n.

      Was there any particular reason for precluding SSn-N especially seeing
      as how you say yours will be a "high" digi and...

      > we are going to put this in an area that has no APRS coverage.

      It may not be used often, but I think supporting SSn-N is important
      especially for emergency use e.g. where there might be a need to
      propagate a bulletin or an object over a political-geographic area.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2008
        Brent KF4JZY wrote...

        > From the feedback I am getting, I need to make sure that what we
        > really need a wide digi instead of simply a fill-in digi. I need to do
        > more research I suppose (the antenna will be 100' high at a good
        > central location--no mountains in the Panhandle).

        If most "home based" digis in your area have antennas 20' above
        ground level, having yours up a 100' tower would probably qualify
        it as a "high" digi.

        > The reason for not SSn-n is simply because I do not know whether
        > to digi for all of Florida (FLn-n) or just the North Florida section
        > (NFLn-n), and I do not know what the "n" needs to be. I've read Bob's
        > page, but he does not get into specifics about certain areas. Again,
        > more reasearch is due on my part. I will be getting with the op in
        > Dothan to coordinate with him and get some advise for our area.

        Why not do both? NFLn-N and FLn-N ? The user is supposed to be the one
        that knows what path they need... e.g. WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for two hop
        "local" coverage (or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 if they really need that extra
        hop), or as it turns out, NFLn-N for "northern Florida flooding" or
        FLn-N for "all of Florida flooding"... assuming the digis are located
        such that it is do-able. As with any other digipeating, the chances of
        success go down with the number of hops, but all the user can do if they
        need to try and reach all of northern Florida or all of Florida is to
        use the appropriate path and send the beacon on its way. It would
        definitely be worthwhile speaking with other digi operators in the area
        about what aliases they are using for "SSn-N" in your area.

        Assuming that most use of SSn-N is for emergency use or at least for
        something more important than "routine local coverage" I think that up
        to 7 hops should be allowed for SSn-N.

        I'm not aware if SSn-N is divided up in my home province. From where I
        am, a 7 hop BCn-N might reach half of the province where there is
        coverage on a good day as many of the WIDEn-N digis are actually quite
        high and spread out quite a bit. BC is about 2000 km (~1200 miles) from
        corner to corner, but most of the population is in the lower part of the
        province.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH