T2-135 fails to decode traffic

  • lb5je
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 7, 2008
      Hi, been testing two Alinco DR-135E with the T2-135 card for some
      weeks, and it strikes me how bad they are to decode aprs traffic. Have
      compared it using an old radio and Windows with AGWPE. In the monitor
      window on the AGWPE I nearly always see an decoded packet if I hear a
      sound on the air. But on the console from the Alinco it very seldom
      appears a decoded packet. So I have a bad feeling the T2-135 has a
      problem decoding? And both my radios has this symptom. Could it be
      that I am using the European version of the DR-135?

      73 de LB5JE
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 7, 2008
        Are you running NARROW or WIDE mode? I think F+MHz switches it. Some
        people have reported that NARROW works better.

        Scott

        lb5je wrote:

        > Hi, been testing two Alinco DR-135E with the T2-135 card for some
        > weeks, and it strikes me how bad they are to decode aprs traffic. Have
        > compared it using an old radio and Windows with AGWPE. In the monitor
        > window on the AGWPE I nearly always see an decoded packet if I hear a
        > sound on the air. But on the console from the Alinco it very seldom
        > appears a decoded packet. So I have a bad feeling the T2-135 has a
        > problem decoding? And both my radios has this symptom. Could it be
        > that I am using the European version of the DR-135?
        >
        > 73 de LB5JE

      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 7, 2008
          Right now on my bench I have a T2-135 board that is doing poor decoding, tested on 2 DR135 (Mark 3).

          This is the first one that shows poor decoding symptom, after installing 5 T2-135 boards that all are doing super (three are doing wide digis).
          I am pretty sure it is the board, as I swap with the good digi, and suddenly the digi went deaf.
          Beaconing is good, as also as a tracker. Latest firmware.

          Scott, any hint on the troubleshooting steps?

          73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
            This sounds just like mine boards. And by the way I have tried the
            radio in both Wide and Narrow mode, without any visible results.

            73 de LB5JE

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
            <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

            > Right now on my bench I have a T2-135 board that is doing poor
            decoding, tested on 2 DR135 (Mark 3).

            > This is the first one that shows poor decoding symptom, after
            installing 5 T2-135 boards that all are doing super (three are doing
            wide digis).
            > I am pretty sure it is the board, as I swap with the good digi, and
            suddenly the digi went deaf.
            > Beaconing is good, as also as a tracker. Latest firmware.
            >
            > Scott, any hint on the troubleshooting steps?
            >
            > 73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

          • Andrew Ragusa
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
              I have been having difficulty too... the only thing it decodes is from
              my opentracker+

              A.J.

              --
              AJ Ragusa
              aragusa@...
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                After hearing a couple of reports like this, I've started running longer
                tests on the T2-135's before shipping. Out of the last batch, about 1
                in 10 seemed to be missing too many packets. I haven't had a chance to
                get solid numbers yet, though - I just set those side for further
                testing. I can spend some time on that today; if I can get one with
                measurably bad performance, I'll start swapping out parts and find out
                if the contract manufacturer got some parts mixed up or something.

                The T2-135 doesn't have the OT2m's input filter, so whatever it is, it's
                got to be unrelated to that problem.

                One other thing - are you running a GPS at the same time, and on which
                port? With the way the DR-135T gets crosstalk from the GPS data into
                the speaker, I worry that maybe it's got crosstalk elsewhere, too.

                Scott

                Andrew Ragusa wrote:

                > I have been having difficulty too... the only thing it decodes is from
                > my opentracker+
                >
                > A.J.
                >
                > On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 5:29 AM, lb5je <h.j.strandby@...
                > <mailto:h.j.strandby%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > > This sounds just like mine boards. And by the way I have tried the
                > > radio in both Wide and Narrow mode, without any visible results.
                > >
                > > 73 de LB5JE

                > "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
                > >
                > > <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:
                > >>

                > >> Right now on my bench I have a T2-135 board that is doing poor
                > > decoding, tested on 2 DR135 (Mark 3).
                > >>
                > >> This is the first one that shows poor decoding symptom, after
                > > installing 5 T2-135 boards that all are doing super (three are doing
                > > wide digis).
                > >> I am pretty sure it is the board, as I swap with the good digi, and
                > > suddenly the digi went deaf.
                > >> Beaconing is good, as also as a tracker. Latest firmware.
                > >>
                > >> Scott, any hint on the troubleshooting steps?
                > >>
                > >> 73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

              • Andrew Ragusa
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                  I've tried it without the GPS and I still have the same problem.

                  I purchased mine at Dayton.

                  A.J.

                  --
                  AJ Ragusa
                  aragusa@...
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                    At 12:17 PM 6/8/2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                    >After hearing a couple of reports like this, I've started running
                    >longer tests on the T2-135's before shipping...if I can get one with
                    >measurably bad performance, I'll start swapping out parts and find
                    >out if the contract manufacturer got some parts mixed up or something.

                    My old T2-135 that I bought from you at Dayton last year is in my
                    vehicle and uses a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna on the roof of the
                    vehicle. It seems to hear and decode just fine...even when sitting in
                    my driveway.

                    My new T2-135 that I bought from you at Dayton this year is in my
                    house and uses a Diamond discone antenna in the attic of my one-story
                    house. In other words, it has a little more elevation than the
                    vehicle antenna. The radio seems to be hearing fine as I see the S
                    meter on the radio illuminating in time with packets that I am
                    hearing on an adjacent handheld, but the T2 is not decoding the packets.

                    Both radios are set for Narrow mode.

                    Bob...
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                      I'm testing now, starting with the few I had set aside that didn't seem
                      to do well in initial testing.

                      It looks like I can fix them easily enough, I just don't have a
                      definitive answer on what's wrong. Reflowing the solder on all of the
                      components around the 2211 seems to have done the trick. Could be bad
                      solder joints or excessive flux trapped under components.

                      I'm also a little suspicious of C7. It's a high-capacitance multilayer
                      ceramic, and it may be more picky about soldering conditions and
                      mechanical stress than the other parts. In fact, replacing C7 was the
                      first thing I tried, and it worked - but I tried just reflowing another
                      board as a control, and that seemed to work too.

                      If it is a mechanical stress issue, that could account for why they
                      passed initial testing but didn't do well after installation.

                      I'll keep working on it.

                      Scott

                      Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

                      > At 12:17 PM 6/8/2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                      > >After hearing a couple of reports like this, I've started running
                      > >longer tests on the T2-135's before shipping...if I can get one with
                      > >measurably bad performance, I'll start swapping out parts and find
                      > >out if the contract manufacturer got some parts mixed up or something.
                      >
                      > My old T2-135 that I bought from you at Dayton last year is in my
                      > vehicle and uses a 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna on the roof of the
                      > vehicle. It seems to hear and decode just fine...even when sitting in
                      > my driveway.
                      >
                      > My new T2-135 that I bought from you at Dayton this year is in my
                      > house and uses a Diamond discone antenna in the attic of my one-story
                      > house. In other words, it has a little more elevation than the
                      > vehicle antenna. The radio seems to be hearing fine as I see the S
                      > meter on the radio illuminating in time with packets that I am
                      > hearing on an adjacent handheld, but the T2 is not decoding the packets.
                      >
                      > Both radios are set for Narrow mode.
                      >
                      > Bob...

                    • James Jefferson Jarvis
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                        > It looks like I can fix them easily enough, I just don't have a
                        > definitive answer on what's wrong. Reflowing the solder on all of the
                        > components around the 2211 seems to have done the trick. Could be bad
                        > solder joints or excessive flux trapped under components.
                        >
                        > I'm also a little suspicious of C7. It's a high-capacitance multilayer
                        > ceramic, and it may be more picky about soldering conditions and
                        > mechanical stress than the other parts. In fact, replacing C7 was the
                        > first thing I tried, and it worked - but I tried just reflowing another
                        > board as a control, and that seemed to work too.
                        >
                        > If it is a mechanical stress issue, that could account for why they
                        > passed initial testing but didn't do well after installation.

                        Hi Scott,

                        What type of flux was used during assembly?

                        I've seen this before with no-clean flux on parts that were reworked at the
                        assembly house. During rework they would use apply liquid flux and it would
                        lower the impedance in the area. On one particular run of 100 boards they
                        must have screwed something up around the switching power supply. The power
                        supply used a 200k resistor as part of a divider to set the output voltage.
                        The extra flux changed the resistors and my 5 volt power supply would come
                        out at 4.2 volts or less. On the vast majority of the boards were we able to
                        throughly wash with flux remover and DI water and get them back within spec.
                        Some of the boards persisted having trouble even after removing all of the
                        components in the power supply and putting new parts in place. On those
                        boards we removed all of the power supply and stubbed in a TO-92 linear
                        regulator ... and then used the boards for non-critical, non-customer
                        applications.

                        Besides washing, you could just heat up the area with your hot-air rework
                        station and get the the flux to be more passive. This may be the fix you are
                        experiencing when you do your rework.

                        With water wash the assembly people *have* to water wash the board with a few
                        hours, otherwise the traces will actually corrode away. It's still possible
                        to have flux trapped under components, especially if they are reworked. Do
                        you have vias underneath components? If so, remove the component and look
                        under you scope for signs of flux and oxidation in via.

                        Just some thoughts.

                        -Jim KB0THN
                      • James Jefferson Jarvis
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                          I just said:
                          > Besides washing, you could just heat up the area with your hot-air rework
                          > station and get the the flux to be more passive. This may be the fix you
                          > are experiencing when you do your rework.

                          Oh yeah, if you have a reflow oven of some sort: Reflow one of the problem
                          boards and see if the problem goes away. This should deactivate any no-clean
                          flux that may be left on the board.

                          In the problem I described, I wasn't able to do this because the board already
                          had an LCD, push buttons, and other non-reflowable devices soldered to it.
                          Needless to say, we test some things earlier in the process now.

                          -Jim
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                            > What type of flux was used during assembly?

                            Not sure, I'll have to check with the CM. Looks like no-clean to me,
                            but it's hard to say.

                            > Besides washing, you could just heat up the area with your hot-air rework
                            > station and get the the flux to be more passive. This may be the fix you
                            > are
                            > experiencing when you do your rework.

                            That's exactly why I didn't immediately ascribe it to a soldering problem.

                            My existing ultrasonic tank sucks. I can't tell that it does much of
                            anything. Are you using straight DI water for the wash, or some other
                            solvent? I think I'm going to go pick up another tank and see if I get
                            any better results.

                            For testing, a toothbrush and a couple of IPA baths does just fine. I'd
                            rather not have to clean them all that way, though.

                            > to have flux trapped under components, especially if they are reworked. Do
                            > you have vias underneath components? If so, remove the component and look
                            > under you scope for signs of flux and oxidation in via.

                            I looked before I started soldering. No sign of oxidation or corrosion.

                            Scott
                          • James Jefferson Jarvis
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                              On Sunday 08 June 2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                              > > What type of flux was used during assembly?
                              >
                              > Not sure, I'll have to check with the CM. Looks like no-clean to me,
                              > but it's hard to say.

                              Okay, you should be specifying the solder process to the contract
                              manufacturer.

                              Most likely it is water wash. No clean in generally used in higher volume
                              runs. It is less forgiving and required more setup and statistical process
                              control to have constantly good results.

                              > My existing ultrasonic tank sucks. I can't tell that it does much of
                              > anything. Are you using straight DI water for the wash, or some other
                              > solvent? I think I'm going to go pick up another tank and see if I get
                              > any better results.

                              I am not aware of ultrasonic cleaners being used for board assemblies. Some
                              components such as crystals can be destroyed by ultrasonic cleaning.

                              Reverse osmosis water is what my contract assembly place uses in their water
                              wash machine. Technical grade IPA is as strong of a solvent as they ever use.
                              Here we use distilled water, IPA, or a magic flux remover spray from
                              McMaster. The magic spray does a reasonably good job because it has polar and
                              non-polar solvents in it. It makes a mess of the board, however.

                              > For testing, a toothbrush and a couple of IPA baths does just fine. I'd
                              > rather not have to clean them all that way, though.

                              That's probably what it is going to take. Then bake the boards at about 140
                              degrees F to get everything dried off. Wires and everything should be fine to
                              140.

                              Good luck,

                              -Jim
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                                I just finished testing another one of my rejects. It started with 60
                                packets decoded in 6 minutes on the TNC test CD.

                                I cleaned it thoroughly to remove excess flux (drying is no problem -
                                it's like a wind tunnel in there with the blowers running, and there's a
                                giant dehumidifier in the middle of the office) and had no change.

                                After hitting the components around the 2211 with the hot air gun and
                                letting it cool back to room temperature, I got 208 packets decoded.
                                There were no soldering defects visible at 10x magnification before or
                                after the reflowing.

                                I'm going to retest repeatedly in the next few days and see if time and
                                mechanical stress have any effect on it.

                                Assuming it stays fixed, this looks like a manufacturing problem. I've
                                already adjusted my test procedures to catch it. If I can narrow down
                                the problem further I'll work with the CM on adjusting their process to
                                eliminate it.

                                If anyone wants to try the fix, just take a fine-tipped soldering iron
                                and touch it to each pad of each component near the 2211 chip, and the
                                chip itself, just long enough to melt the solder.

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                                  > After hitting the components around the 2211 with the hot air gun and
                                  > letting it cool back to room temperature, I got 208 packets decoded.
                                  > There were no soldering defects visible at 10x magnification before or
                                  > after the reflowing.

                                  How high of power does your scope go? If possible, go to 30X and tilt the
                                  board so you are looking between the leads and the board.

                                  > I'm going to retest repeatedly in the next few days and see if time and
                                  > mechanical stress have any effect on it.

                                  I'm not following what you mean by mechanical stress. I'm assuming the XR2211
                                  is in a SOIC package. The die is wire bonded to the pins. If those are
                                  broken, then they are broken. I can't fathom how this could happen on that
                                  big of leads. With a TQFP or something if the part gets dropped, lead bent,
                                  and then manually unbent, then the wire bonds can break.

                                  Here is a debugging procedure that I would try:

                                  a) using a small cutter, cut the leads off the 2211 as close to the body as
                                  possible and remove the 2211. Try not to damage the leads. Measure your R and
                                  C values from the perspective of the 2211. This should tell you if there is
                                  fluxing or something effecting the values of your components OR bad solder
                                  joints on your 2211 to board connections.

                                  b) use your soldering iron to carefully remove the cut off leads from the PCB.
                                  Repeat measurements. If values are still out of range then you probably have
                                  flux on the board or the incorrect components. Go to C. If values are in
                                  range, then probably bad solder joint to the 2211. Carefully solder (with
                                  your iron) down a new part and the board is fixed.

                                  c) Using hot air, reflow all of the passives and then remeasure from 2211
                                  perspective. If problem is fixed, then likely no clean flux is left on the
                                  board. If not fixed ...?!?

                                  -Jim
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                                    > How high of power does your scope go? If possible, go to 30X and tilt the
                                    > board so you are looking between the leads and the board.

                                    30X on the stereo scope, 300X on the B&L trinocular scope (it's missing
                                    the 100X objective, but it's still good enough to image red blood cells
                                    clearly).

                                    > I'm not following what you mean by mechanical stress. I'm assuming the

                                    I'm mostly concerned about the 10uF 0603 multilayer ceramic cap. The
                                    datasheet seems to be more particular about soldering and stress than usual.

                                    Scott
                                  • kb1chu@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                                      I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around  the 2211 and the tracker sprang back to life!  The digi is busy responding to all the previously missed packets and my screen is filling up with previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks Steve KB1CHU

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 8, 2008
                                        Glad to hear it! I'm working with the CM now on the soldering process.

                                        Scott

                                        kb1chu@... wrote:

                                        > I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around the 2211
                                        > and the tracker sprang back to life! The digi is busy responding to all
                                        > the previously missed packets and my screen is filling up with
                                        > previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks Steve KB1CHU

                                      • Tim Smith
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                          >> if I can get one with measurably bad performance, I'll start
                                          swapping out parts and find out if the contract manufacturer got some
                                          parts mixed up or something...

                                          Scott...not sure if you remember but I was one with early decoding
                                          problems dating back to late last year (with the T2 (not 135). I
                                          tried using the T2 as a digi but had an issue with the T2 missing
                                          about 50% of it's packets (when comparing along side a UI-View
                                          digi/sound card TNC). Had planned to use T2 in the car with the 350,
                                          but wasn't hearing as much as my Ot1.

                                          You are welcome to take mine and do some measurements.

                                          73,

                                          Tim, N1TI
                                        • lb5je
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 9, 2008
                                            Yes, it helps to "resolder" the board. :-)

                                            LB5JE

                                            > Glad to hear it! I'm working with the CM now on the soldering process.
                                            >
                                            > Scott
                                            >
                                            > kb1chu@... wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around
                                            the 2211
                                            > > and the tracker sprang back to life! The digi is busy responding
                                            to all
                                            > > the previously missed packets and my screen is filling up with
                                            > > previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks Steve KB1CHU

                                          • Steven Palm
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 11, 2008
                                              On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:19 PM, kb1chu@... wrote:
                                              > I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around the
                                              > 2211 and the tracker sprang back to life! The digi is busy
                                              > responding to all the previously missed packets and my screen is
                                              > filling up with previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks
                                              > Steve KB1CHU

                                              Scott,

                                              Just a wild shot in the dark... Any chance there is a related issue
                                              with the Tracker2? I'm still at a loss to explain my on-and-off
                                              performance.

                                              Steve - N9YTY
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                It's a possibility. I still suspect C7 on the T2-135, and the OT2m
                                                doesn't have that part, but I could be wrong.

                                                Scott

                                                Steven Palm wrote:

                                                > On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:19 PM, kb1chu@... <mailto:kb1chu%40aol.com> wrote:
                                                > > I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around the
                                                > > 2211 and the tracker sprang back to life! The digi is busy
                                                > > responding to all the previously missed packets and my screen is
                                                > > filling up with previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks
                                                > > Steve KB1CHU
                                                >
                                                > Scott,
                                                >
                                                > Just a wild shot in the dark... Any chance there is a related issue
                                                > with the Tracker2? I'm still at a loss to explain my on-and-off
                                                > performance.
                                                >
                                                > Steve - N9YTY

                                              • Steven Palm
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                  I swapped mine out with one you sent as a replacement, but as I
                                                  understand it running with the EQ jumper in place doesn't utilize that
                                                  part of the circuit anyway.

                                                  Steve

                                                  On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

                                                  > It's a possibility. I still suspect C7 on the T2-135, and the OT2m
                                                  > doesn't have that part, but I could be wrong.
                                                  >
                                                  > Scott
                                                  >
                                                  > Steven Palm wrote:
                                                  >>

                                                  >> On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:19 PM, kb1chu@... <mailto:kb1chu
                                                  >> %40aol.com> wrote:
                                                  >>> I removed the T2-135 and hit all the connections at and around the
                                                  >>> 2211 and the tracker sprang back to life! The digi is busy
                                                  >>> responding to all the previously missed packets and my screen is
                                                  >>> filling up with previously missed stations. Good call Scott.Thanks
                                                  >>> Steve KB1CHU
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Scott,
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Just a wild shot in the dark... Any chance there is a related issue
                                                  >> with the Tracker2? I'm still at a loss to explain my on-and-off
                                                  >> performance.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Steve - N9YTY

                                                • Bob Burns W9RXR
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 14, 2008
                                                    At 01:05 PM 6/11/2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                                                    >It's a possibility. I still suspect C7 on the T2-135, and the OT2m
                                                    >doesn't have that part, but I could be wrong.

                                                    Scott, so what's the solution? Do the late model T2-135 boards need
                                                    to be reworked?

                                                    Bob...
                                                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 30, 2008

                                                      --- On Sun, 6/8/08, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

                                                      I just finished testing another one of my rejects.  It started with 60
                                                      packets decoded in 6 minutes on the TNC test CD.

                                                      Scott, I just downloaded the TNC test CD .cif image file, and opened under Easy CD Creator to burn it to a disc. Now which specific track that you used for the the above test?
                                                      I want to run on my defective board to set the baseline. Today I received another defective board, so I have 2 boards to work on to fill my vacation time ;)

                                                      73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 2 8:22 AM
                                                        It should be the first track, 144.39 traffic, off the air, no de-emphasis.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jul 2 8:39 AM
                                                          Straight from the CD player should be fine.

                                                          Scott

                                                          P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

                                                          > Great! thanks.
                                                          >
                                                          > Now the next question, how you feed the audio? Say from a CD-player, do
                                                          > I feed directly to the board? (i.e. set to 1V p-p, and inject at PIN#2
                                                          > on the CN1 jumper cable from DR-135 to T2-135 board).
                                                          >
                                                          > The way I do right now is I feed from the cd-player to a yaesu VX-5r,
                                                          > let it TX until it times out, and have the T2-135 hears the traffic off
                                                          > the air (on a separate quiet frequency). Then I compare the received
                                                          > packets with a TH-D7A that monitors on the same frequency.
                                                          >
                                                          > The result. While repairing the 2 deaf boards, I noticed the most
                                                          > improvement was after reflowing C5 and R5.
                                                          >
                                                          > Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX
                                                          >
                                                          > --- On Wed, 7/2/08, Scott Miller <scott@...
                                                          > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > > From: Scott Miller <scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>>
                                                          > > Subject: Re: [tracker2] T2-135 fails to decode traffic
                                                          > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                          > > Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 10:22 AM
                                                          > > It should be the first track, 144.39 traffic, off the air,
                                                          > > no de-emphasis.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Scott
                                                          > >
                                                          > > P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
                                                          > > >

                                                          > > > --- On *Sun, 6/8/08, Scott Miller
                                                          > > /<scott@... <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>>/* wrote:
                                                          > > >

                                                          > > > I just finished testing another one of my rejects.
                                                          > > It started with 60
                                                          > > > packets decoded in 6 minutes on the TNC test CD.
                                                          > > >
                                                          > > > Scott, I just downloaded the TNC test CD .cif image
                                                          > > file, and opened
                                                          > > > under Easy CD Creator to burn it to a disc. Now which
                                                          > > specific track
                                                          > > > that you used for the the above test?
                                                          > > > I want to run on my defective board to set the
                                                          > > baseline. Today I
                                                          > > > received another defective board, so I have 2 boards
                                                          > > to work on to fill
                                                          > > > my vacation time ;)
                                                          > > >

                                                          > > > 73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX
                                                          > > >

                                                          > > ------------------------------------

                                                        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jul 2 8:40 AM
                                                            Great! thanks.

                                                            Now the next question, how you feed the audio? Say from a CD-player, do I feed directly to the board? (i.e. set to 1V p-p, and inject at PIN#2 on the CN1 jumper cable from DR-135 to T2-135 board).

                                                            The way I do right now is I feed from the cd-player to a yaesu VX-5r, let it TX until it times out, and have the T2-135 hears the traffic off the air (on a separate quiet frequency). Then I compare the received packets with a TH-D7A that monitors on the same frequency.

                                                            The result. While repairing the 2 deaf boards, I noticed the most improvement was after reflowing C5 and R5.

                                                            Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                                            > It should be the first track, 144.39 traffic, off the air,
                                                            > no de-emphasis.
                                                            >
                                                            > Scott
                                                            >
                                                            > P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
                                                            > >

                                                            > > --- On *Sun, 6/8/08, Scott Miller
                                                            > /<scott@...>/* wrote:
                                                            > >

                                                            > > I just finished testing another one of my rejects.
                                                            > It started with 60
                                                            > > packets decoded in 6 minutes on the TNC test CD.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Scott, I just downloaded the TNC test CD .cif image
                                                            > file, and opened
                                                            > > under Easy CD Creator to burn it to a disc. Now which
                                                            > specific track
                                                            > > that you used for the the above test?
                                                            > > I want to run on my defective board to set the
                                                            > baseline. Today I
                                                            > > received another defective board, so I have 2 boards
                                                            > to work on to fill
                                                            > > my vacation time ;)
                                                            > >

                                                            > > 73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX
                                                            > >

                                                            > ------------------------------------
                                                          • vk2int
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                                              Scott,
                                                              Same problem here. The I-gate using one of these boards has not
                                                              performed as expected. This morning it failed to decode any of the
                                                              traffic I could see on the S meter for a period so I swapped the T2-
                                                              135 with another and all seems ok at the moment.
                                                              From the posts reflowing the solder joints seems to correct the
                                                              problem or have you narrowed it to a specific component?
                                                              Mike, VK2INT.

                                                              > After hearing a couple of reports like this, I've started running
                                                              longer
                                                              > tests on the T2-135's before shipping. Out of the last batch,
                                                              about 1
                                                              > in 10 seemed to be missing too many packets. I haven't had a
                                                              chance to
                                                              > get solid numbers yet, though - I just set those side for further
                                                              > testing. I can spend some time on that today; if I can get one
                                                              with
                                                              > measurably bad performance, I'll start swapping out parts and find
                                                              out
                                                              > if the contract manufacturer got some parts mixed up or something.
                                                              >
                                                              > The T2-135 doesn't have the OT2m's input filter, so whatever it is,
                                                              it's
                                                              > got to be unrelated to that problem.
                                                              >
                                                              > One other thing - are you running a GPS at the same time, and on
                                                              which
                                                              > port? With the way the DR-135T gets crosstalk from the GPS data
                                                              into
                                                              > the speaker, I worry that maybe it's got crosstalk elsewhere, too.
                                                              >
                                                              > Scott

                                                            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                                                From fixing the 2 bad boards recently, I would try first to reflow R5 and C5. Then you might gain more by reflowing parts around the 2211 decoder chip.