Re: [tracker2] Is there other software besides UI-View32 that works well with the T2-135?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
      too which country do you refer too??
      If you are in the USA then Precision Mapping current version works just fine with UiView32.

      It often helps to pad out the "details" for us mere mortals to help you!!

      Steve, kf6wax

      On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:35 PM, philgoodsandwalking <philgood@...> wrote:

      Unless I have it wrong, one of the limitations of UI-View32 are the
      maps. If you are traveling over a large area of the country, you
      would need to have multiple maps and there is not much of a zoom
      function. Is there better APRS software that uses current, in
      production mapping software or an easy way of setting UI-View32 to
      cover a larger area and have better street level resolution?

    • kb1chu@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
        The ui-view group on yahoo is very active and there are many who can help you out. The message base and members are extensive. they support several mapping venues. I use it and find I can get street level maps with ease. KB1CHU

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
          Check out USAPhotomaps, it will give you both topo maps and arial imagery of whatever area you decide to download. And it's free.

          philgoodsandwalking wrote:
          > Unless I have it wrong, one of the limitations of UI-View32 are the
          > maps. If you are traveling over a large area of the country, you
          > would need to have multiple maps and there is not much of a zoom
          > function. Is there better APRS software that uses current, in
          > production mapping software or an easy way of setting UI-View32 to
          > cover a larger area and have better street level resolution?

        • gsdatplace
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
            I've tried I think every software package out there for APRS and
            mapping, and the key limitation of UI-view standalone is the mapping
            for my area. After trying every combination of software package I
            came up with the following configurations that seem to work the best.
            Mind you, I also use the tracking mostly when following balloon
            packages, or people attempting to jump from balloons from the edge of
            space, so it can be overkill at times lol.

            Configurations I found that work well:
            1. AGWPacketEngine Pro or the hamware AGWPE for the TNC
            interface. UI-view and all the packages I've tried support it, the
            biggest benefit is that multiple software packages can all
            communicate with the TNC's at the same time. Major benefit when your
            running 4 TNC's, digipeting software and multiple mapping programs.
            2. UI-View running as the software to beacon position. I don't
            currently have a Opentracker2 (soon to be borrowed before I buy one)
            and AGWTracker has a issue with beaconing the GPS position in its
            current build. If that was rectified, AGWTracker would be my primary
            choice as a beaconing/interface to the mapping software.
            3. UI-Point. Once UI-view is running, UI-point takes all the
            data, and uses Mappoint 2002, 2004, or 2006 to display all the data
            beautifully. It's simple the maps are great, if I was running only
            one configuration standalone, it would be AGWPE, UI-View, and UI-
            point for maps. One of the benefits is that you can select yourself
            and say your destination APRS object and track them both, the map
            will zoom and pan automatically to show you and the tracked object
            (s). Street level detail is great, the info is current, the downside
            is that the map updates only about once a minute, if your chasing
            something, seeing where you are can be tough and when using ui-Point,
            the turn by turn voice navigation and gps features of mappoint 2006
            are disabled.
            4. If you have a mobile High speed internet connection (lucky
            enough to have one available via my cell) My preference is AGWPE, UI-
            View for beaconing, UI-Route to "host" the information and the Google
            Earth as the Mapping software. Can't be beat for map quality, detail,
            or features in my opinion. Downside, you need a constant internet
            connection, and it wants to zoom in to close on one object if you
            track it.

            That's all laptop based, and when I'm "tracking" I usually have all
            the packages running, as well as AGWDigi acting as a crossband
            digipeter for the payloads transmitter on a different frequency, and
            iGating the data as well. Another machine I configured for another
            tracker was simply UI-View, UI-point, and Mappoint 2006. I was
            jealous after I saw it running at the simplicity of it. The benefit
            on that setup was that he was running a D700, and without AGWPE, UI-
            Point is configured to use com1 as the TNC port, and share com1 for
            the GPS info, getting it from the D700. All my setups did not use a
            GPS attached to the TNC's, a standalone (or 2) Bluetooth GPS's were
            used with a GPS com sharing app to aggregate their data and provide
            it on virtual serial ports to the various software packages.

            My new mobile setup which I'll hopefully have going by August (once I
            borrow a opentracker2 to test with then buy one) will be a
            OpenTracker2, Garmin Nuvi 360 as display, direction, handsfree
            speakerphone and GPS, and a whatever the name is something 777 radio
            moded to add a connector for clean audio before the volume and de-
            emphasis controls from scotts site as my main package. That will take
            care of 99.9% of my use right there, in a small simple configuration
            with every feature I want. I'm hoping, since the Nuvi also acts as a
            GPS taking only one serial port, that the second serial port can
            still be used to connect the laptop for the other packages. I'll have
            to test that first, and that's my only hesitation in placing the
            order today. If that works, I think it would be equivalent or better
            than a d710A and Avmap G5 in performance, at a fraction of the cost.

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "philgoodsandwalking" <philgood@...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
              On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM, gsdatplace <spam1@...> wrote:

              > I've tried I think every software package out there for APRS and
              > mapping

              And one day we'll teach Garrett VE6RKY to sign his name to his messages too...

              I couldn't believe all the software and hardware that we crammed into
              Garrett's vehicle, and the fact that Garrett managed to get all the
              software to work together.

              We had Barry's KPC-3 and radio, Barry's new D710, and my old D-700 all
              tied into Garrett's laptop for tracking Le Grand Saut.

              Scott, I'm working on selling more of your product, Garrett's going to
              play with one of my OT2s, and then be placing his order for his own...
              just put my commission on my tab.

            • Garrett Sloan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2008
                About .5 seconds after I hit send I realized I forgot to put my
                signature on the message... serves me right for copy/paste from
                outlook, without spellcheck I'm almost incoherant. By the end of that
                weekend, I think I must have exceed some TLV for radiation exposure,
                as James said, I had a D710A, D700, a Fixed Freq crystal 144.39
                Mobile on a KPC3+, my Yeasu FT-8500 & FT-470 & a frs radio all on and
                running at the same time. I had 10 different freqs up, a internet
                connection running, 2 bluetooth GPS's and it all went smooth, the
                hardest part was trying to find the right mic that corresponded to
                the right speaker that someone was calling me on, then picking the
                right subchannel. I knew the radiation was bad when I blew the 50amp
                fuse to the whole shebang, luckly the standby battery pack/car
                battery I bought in battleford kept them going long enough to change
                it.

                I'm hoping the Nuvi 360/OT2/777 combo works as I think it should,
                ~$400 for the whole package? you can't beat that as the best setup
                for the $ ATM. As I type that sentence, Scott sent a message that the
                360 leaves duplicates... Doh! I should reply in the other thread, but
                from what I've read, the breadcrumb effect has had mixed replies,
                I've seen someone post that its nice as it shows a incremental path
                of a station, and others post that its horrible and locks the unit
                up... I'm thinking if its not that bad and the beacon rates arn't too
                high that the "breadcrumb" effect may be a nice thing. I'm rethinking
                my order yet again, and think a 660 if the 360 has the problem may be
                my choice, and I'll hope a solution to the POI issues can be found.

                OT: If you happen to be around this weekend James, give me a call and
                I'd love to swing by and grab a OT2 off you to play with/interogate
                for a week or so, if as scott says the 360 leaves dupes, I'll go for
                the 660 and figure it out/beat it into submission as I go...

                Garrett
                VE6RKY
                (remembered the sig this time)

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM, gsdatplace <spam1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I've tried I think every software package out there for APRS and
                > > mapping
                >
                > And one day we'll teach Garrett VE6RKY to sign his name to his
                messages too...

                > I couldn't believe all the software and hardware that we crammed
                into
                > Garrett's vehicle, and the fact that Garrett managed to get all the
                > software to work together.
                >
                > We had Barry's KPC-3 and radio, Barry's new D710, and my old D-700
                all
                > tied into Garrett's laptop for tracking Le Grand Saut.
                >
                > Scott, I'm working on selling more of your product, Garrett's going
                > play with one of my OT2s, and then be placing his order for his
                own...
                > just put my commission on my tab.
                >
                > James
                > VE6SRV

              • William Becks
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2008
                  UI-View actually is your best choice! It can be optioned to work with Precision Mapping (P-Map) software that follows your track or another stations track and is fully scalable  No need to create static maps and have to keep switching them as you track or drive about.

                  I' ve been using this combination for several years and just love how the scalable mapping works!  Take a look at URL http://www.ui-view.org/ for more info.  The current P-Map program is at Version-8 but works well with the Server-7 interface available for UI-View32.

                  Bill, WA8WG

                  To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                  From: kb1chu@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 22:48:16 -0400

                  The ui-view group on yahoo is very active and there are many who can help you out. The message base and members are extensive. they support several mapping venues. I use it and find I can get street level maps with ease. KB1CHU

                  Unless I have it wrong, one of the limitations of UI-View32 are the
                  maps. If you are traveling over a large area of the country, you
                  would need to have multiple maps and there is not much of a zoom
                  function. Is there better APRS software that uses current, in
                  production mapping software or an easy way of setting UI-View32 to
                  cover a larger area and have better street level resolution?

                  Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage. Get Windows Live SkyDrive.