Re: [tracker2] Remote script updates

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
      Scott Miller <scott@...> writes:

      > Here's an example that prints 'Message 1' and 'Message 2' every 10
      > seconds on port A.
      >
      > PATCH f60020811500bc00000a5a0d4d65737361676520312e0a000000bc0000145a0d4d6573
      > PATCH f620117361676520322e0a003c3c0000000000ff

      I hope that includes a CRC or checksum. Without one, a fat-fingered or dropped
      character could produce unexpected and potentially disasterous results.

      Thanks for the scipting engine. This should be fun. At some point down
      the road, I envision an OT3 or OT4 running embedded Linux with a lot of
      memory to play with for things like a Perl or Python interpreter.

      73 de
      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
      Bloomington, Indiana US
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
        > I hope that includes a CRC or checksum. Without one, a fat-fingered or
        > dropped
        > character could produce unexpected and potentially disasterous results.

        If it's sent over the air, the packet will have a checksum at least.
        Otherwise I'd suggest pasting it one line at a time. The script engine
        is pretty safe and shouldn't do anything harmful if the script gets
        corrupted - worst case, it could poke values into RAM and cause problems.

        > Thanks for the scipting engine. This should be fun. At some point down
        > the road, I envision an OT3 or OT4 running embedded Linux with a lot of
        > memory to play with for things like a Perl or Python interpreter.

        I've got an LPC2387 board sitting on my desk now. 512 KB flash, 96 KB
        RAM, 72 MHz (vs. 60K, 2K, and 7.3 MHz for the T2), USB, Ethernet, SD/MMC
        interface, real-time clock, etc. All for about $3 more than the T2's
        processor.

        Of course, that Ethernet port has the potential to eat up a LOT of code
        space with new features. It'll need to work as an IGate, of course, and
        then a web-based configuration system would be nice, and it could
        function as an RF Ethernet bridge...

        Embedded Linux would be a little heavy... I'll probably stick with
        FreeRTOS (which I've already used on an Atmel ARM7 chip), unless
        switching to a commercial system like uC/OS-II would make more sense.
        In my original prototype I wrote my own USB drivers, SD/MMC interface,
        FAT file system, and so on. If I can afford it, though, I'd rather just
        focus on the TNC stuff and not have to reinvent the wheel.