Re: [tracker2] Question

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
      On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, sdroe1956 <kb7qqq@...> wrote:

      > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
      > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
      >
      > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

      If you're just going to the expense just so you know where you are, I
      have a cheaper solution... buy a mirror. If you look into it, and
      you're not there, then you're in trouble!

      As Curt said, it's much more than just looking at a webpage to see
      where you've been. I can find my buddies driving around town, right
      there on the screen in front of me. When they pop up on my screen, I
      know they are out driving around, and can call them. Of course if your
      general conversations revolve around where are you, and what's the
      weather like, stay away from APRS. All of that is displayed in front
      of you.

      You can share frequency information with others, as well as find out
      the frequencies of local repeaters. You can find out about current
      activities in the area, and much more.

      One of the fun things I like to use APRS for, is tracking high
      altitude balloons, and getting telemetry information from them. When
      you send a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics up to >100,000
      feet, it's always nice to be able to get it back. It also helps with
      getting access to any still images, videos, or experiment payloads you
      may have carried to altitude.

      Sam, you obviously haven't sat in on a Bob Bruninga APRS sermon! 8)

      There's much more to APRS than just tracking your vehicle.

    • Richard Bauer
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
        we keep one in our camper so friends and family can see where we are.

        '73,
        rich, n9dko

        Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
        to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.

        Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

        Thanks
        Sam Roe
        KB7QQQ