Re: [tracker2] Question

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
      On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:

      > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
      > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
      >
      > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

      *) Search and Rescue.

      *) Public Service Events (marathons, bike events, horse events,
      walk-a-thons, etc).

      *) Source of info while traveling.

      *) Two-way messaging to other hams.

      *) One-way e-mails to internet addresses.

      I've used it for all of the above and probably a few more I can't
      think of right now.

      --
      Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
      http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
        On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

        > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:
        >
        > > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

        FWIW: My last answer wasn't Tracker2-specific.

        For mapping you'll need a mapping GPS or a laptop/desktop/PDA.

        For messaging you'll need one of these:

        *) Garmin NUVI/Tracker2 combo
        *) Laptop/desktop plus TNC
        *) HamHUD plus TNC
        *) Kenwood APRS radio

        I'm using an OpenTracker in my Jeep but plan to switch to a Tracker2
        (I've been saying that for _way_ too long now, and even have a
        Tracker2 to put there!). This will give me one-way tracking
        normally, but if I hook it to a laptop or HamHUD I'll have messaging
        capability. Perhaps I'll get a Garmin NUVI later which will also
        give me messaging.

        Plug in a laptop or mapping GPS and I'll be able to see where
        everybody else is. It'll be a nice setup for a mobile 'cuz when I
        unplug the laptop I'll be back to the normal one-way tracking.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
          On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, sdroe1956 <kb7qqq@...> wrote:

          > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
          > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
          >
          > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

          If you're just going to the expense just so you know where you are, I
          have a cheaper solution... buy a mirror. If you look into it, and
          you're not there, then you're in trouble!

          As Curt said, it's much more than just looking at a webpage to see
          where you've been. I can find my buddies driving around town, right
          there on the screen in front of me. When they pop up on my screen, I
          know they are out driving around, and can call them. Of course if your
          general conversations revolve around where are you, and what's the
          weather like, stay away from APRS. All of that is displayed in front
          of you.

          You can share frequency information with others, as well as find out
          the frequencies of local repeaters. You can find out about current
          activities in the area, and much more.

          One of the fun things I like to use APRS for, is tracking high
          altitude balloons, and getting telemetry information from them. When
          you send a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics up to >100,000
          feet, it's always nice to be able to get it back. It also helps with
          getting access to any still images, videos, or experiment payloads you
          may have carried to altitude.

          Sam, you obviously haven't sat in on a Bob Bruninga APRS sermon! 8)

          There's much more to APRS than just tracking your vehicle.

        • Richard Bauer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
            we keep one in our camper so friends and family can see where we are.

            '73,
            rich, n9dko

            Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
            to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.

            Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

            Thanks
            Sam Roe
            KB7QQQ