OT2 Digipeater Extra Beacon

  • Tony Komljanec
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2008
      Scott, this is a feature request to add a second beacon to OT2 so that an alternate meassage such as PHGd or Voice Frequency Objects can be sent locally (Path LOCAL or NOGATE).   I'm under the influence of UIDIGI for urban digipeaters and would like to use your OT2 in a similar way for some very remote mountain top sites.

      Your Opentracker provides low power consumption, profile switching and voltage based triggers, as well as telemetry in both a human readable format and also APRS telemetry standard making it very useful for remote sites running on solar or wind.  The telemetry also integrates well into club web pages.  Here are some photos of sites where a few of your OT2's will end up:  http://www.yara.ca/gallery.htm

      You probably have very little code space left in the OT2.    If necessary, would it be far fetched to optimize a fixed Digipeater firmware stream (no Smartbeacon or GPS support) seperate from mobile tracker versions?

      Thank you for your consideration,

      Tony

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2008
        I was thinking this morning about how best to do this.

        Basically, the code exists to do it now. There's a mostly-completed
        scripting engine in the T2, and it's fairly simple to compose a script
        that'll transmit a plain text beacon at a regular interval. It comes
        down to something like this:

        on event once-per-second
        increment counter 1
        end block

        if counter 1 = 300
        execute command BEACON <beacon text>
        end block

        if counter 1 = 600
        execute command BEACON <another beacon>
        clear counter 1
        end block

        This example sends a beacon every five minutes, alternating between two
        message strings. I think the example compiles to about 22 bytes of
        code, plus the text strings. It'd be less, but it's not tokenizing the
        console commands and I haven't decided if it's going to. There are 512
        bytes of script space available.

        My intention was to add a wizard-based script editor that'd give you a
        menu of commands and an interface to add and remove lines, compiling
        each line as it's created. Doing that sort of interface is tedious in
        VC++ 6 (which is what otwincfg is written in) and I just haven't tackled
        it yet.

        I've also been considering as a stop-gap adding a dialog only for
        beacons that'd give you a simple interface and generate the above code.
        It might meet your immediate needs, but it wouldn't be very flexible.

        Now, if I knew how to use Lex and Yacc it probably wouldn't be too hard
        to just write a simple compiler and provide one big text entry field for
        the scripts. Still have to write a decompiler if you want to edit it
        after the fact, but in this case that's easier.

        Anyway... I'll give it some more thought and see what I can come up with.

        Scott

        Tony Komljanec wrote:

        > Scott, this is a feature request to add a second beacon to OT2 so that
        > an alternate meassage such as PHGd or Voice Frequency Objects can be
        > sent locally (Path LOCAL or NOGATE). I'm under the influence of UIDIGI
        > for urban digipeaters and would like to use your OT2 in a similar way
        > for some very remote mountain top sites.
        >
        > Your Opentracker provides low power consumption, profile switching and
        > voltage based triggers, as well as telemetry in both a human readable
        > format and also APRS telemetry standard making it very useful for remote
        > sites running on solar or wind. The telemetry also integrates well into
        > club web pages. Here are some photos of sites where a few of your OT2's
        > will end up: http://www.yara.ca/gallery.htm
        > <http://www.yara.ca/gallery.htm>.
        >
        > You probably have very little code space left in the OT2. If
        > necessary, would it be far fetched to optimize a fixed Digipeater
        > firmware stream (no Smartbeacon or GPS support) seperate from mobile
        > tracker versions?
        >
        > Thank you for your consideration,
        >
        > Tony

        > Looking for the perfect gift?* Give the gift of Flickr!*
        > <http://www.flickr.com/gift/>

      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2008
          Scott and group, I bought a new T2-135 and a new Alinco DR-135 at
          Dayton this year. This is my second T2-135. I purchased one last year
          and have been running it successfully as both a stand-alone tracker
          and as a KISS modem with UI-View for several months now.

          I seem to be having some trouble getting the new T2-135 to work in
          KISS mode. Both T2s are running the 54479 firmware. I uploaded the
          config from the old T2 and downloaded it to the new T2. I'm using the
          same computer and same serial cable with both T2s. In other words,
          with the exception of mixing and matching T2s between radios, both
          set-ups are as identical as I can make them.

          The problem is getting UI-View to communicate with the new T2. Again,
          same laptop, same cable. UI-View communicates just fine with the old
          T2. But when I try to get UI-View to communicate with the new T2, I
          get this message in UI-View's monitor window "*** COMMS ERROR - Framing Error".

          Both T2s are configured with AMODE AUTO and UI-View is configured to
          send AMODE KISS when it starts up.

          Any idea what's going on? Anything else I should do to trouble shoot
          this problem?

          Thank you!

          Bob...
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2008
            Shut down AUTOBAUD and make sure you've got the baud rate set properly.

            Scott

            Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

            > Scott and group, I bought a new T2-135 and a new Alinco DR-135 at
            > Dayton this year. This is my second T2-135. I purchased one last year
            > and have been running it successfully as both a stand-alone tracker
            > and as a KISS modem with UI-View for several months now.
            >
            > I seem to be having some trouble getting the new T2-135 to work in
            > KISS mode. Both T2s are running the 54479 firmware. I uploaded the
            > config from the old T2 and downloaded it to the new T2. I'm using the
            > same computer and same serial cable with both T2s. In other words,
            > with the exception of mixing and matching T2s between radios, both
            > set-ups are as identical as I can make them.
            >
            > The problem is getting UI-View to communicate with the new T2. Again,
            > same laptop, same cable. UI-View communicates just fine with the old
            > T2. But when I try to get UI-View to communicate with the new T2, I
            > get this message in UI-View's monitor window "*** COMMS ERROR - Framing
            > Error".
            >
            > Both T2s are configured with AMODE AUTO and UI-View is configured to
            > send AMODE KISS when it starts up.
            >
            > Any idea what's going on? Anything else I should do to trouble shoot
            > this problem?
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > Bob...

          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2008
              Bob W9RXR wrote...

              > I seem to be having some trouble getting the new T2-135 to work in
              > KISS mode....

              > The problem is getting UI-View to communicate with the new T2....
              > But when I try to get UI-View to communicate with the new T2, I
              > get this message in UI-View's monitor window
              > "*** COMMS ERROR - Framing Error".

              I ran into problems with the com port not being released when I closed
              UI-View, but came up with a reliable way to use it with UI-View.

              INTO KISS...
              003,003,003
              INT 0
              AMODE KISS

              EXIT KISS...
              003,003,003

              The three "003"s are the equivalent of sending three control-Cs to it.
              The INT 0 is so it won't beacon on its own. The AMODE KISS puts it into
              KISS mode. The three control-Cs for "EXIT KISS" take it out of KISS
              mode. Without that, I found that UI-View didn't release the com port if
              it was shut down. Occasionally, I have had to power cycle the radio when
              it wasn't receiving, but that is extremely rare. You could close UI-View
              and open a terminal program to do some troubleshooting...

              ABAUD 4800 (if that's what you are using)
              AMODE AUTO (for now)
              AUTOBAUD OFF (if ON, and it thinks that it detects a
              mis-match it will attempt to select a different baud rate)
              INT 0 (so it doesn't beacon)
              MYCALL W9RXR (or W9RXR-SSID... in case it does beacon)
              MON OFF (or ON to see if you can decode)
              TXDELAY 32 (~128 ms as set in otwincfg.exe)
              WAYPOINTS OFF (no need to try and send position reports as
              waypoints to a non-existent GPS receiver)

              So... if you start your terminal program and hit enter a few times, do
              you always get a cmd: prompt? If you send AMODE KISS to it, does it
              appear to go into KISS mode? If there are signals present, you should
              see it in the terminal program, but won't all be human readable. Can you
              reliably get it out of KISS mode with three CTL-Cs?

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
            • Bob Burns W9RXR
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
                At 05:56 PM 5/31/2008, Scott Miller wrote:
                >Shut down AUTOBAUD and make sure you've got the baud rate set properly.

                Tried that yesterday evening after I saw your reply. Didn't work. Got
                frustrated. Walked away from it for the evening.

                So, today I connected back up to the old T2 with otwincfg, made a few
                tweaks to the configuration, saved the file and wrote it to the T2.
                Then I connected to the old T2 with Hyperterm, turned on capture
                mode, issued a DISP command, and went back the house.

                There I connected to the new T2 with otwincfg, loaded the file I
                saved earlier, changed the SSID on the call sign, and wrote that
                configuration to the new T2. Then I connected to the new T2 with
                Hyperterm. After a few minutes trying to get the T2 and Hyperterm to
                agree on baud rates, I finally got a cmd prompt at 4800 baud. Note
                that I had to issue a Ctrl-C a few times to get there. It's as if the
                T2 was stuck in KISS mode. Anyway, while in command mode, I stepped
                through every item in the file that I captured from the old T2 and
                made sure the new T2 was set to the same value. Then I connected to
                the new T2 with UI-View and they started talking to each other in KISS mode.

                Not sure exactly what I did that was different, but persistence paid off.

                At 07:29 PM 5/31/2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
                >INTO KISS...
                >003,003,003
                >INT 0
                >AMODE KISS

                Interesting. I'm just sending AMODE KISS. Based on what I described
                above, sending the three Ctrl-C's may be a good idea to make sure the
                T2 is in command mode before UI-View switches it to KISS.

                >So... if you start your terminal program and hit enter a few times,
                >do you always get a cmd: prompt?

                Not always, but I think I've resolved that.

                >If you send AMODE KISS to it, does it appear to go into KISS mode?

                Yes.

                >Can you reliably get it out of KISS mode with three CTL-Cs?

                I seem to be able to.

                Thanks, Scott and Keith, for your assistance.

                Bob...