Re: [tracker2] ADS-GM1 pinout question

    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2008
      The Deluo and ADS-GM1 use pin 4 for power. You can use any pin that's
      normally an output from the DTE side (input to a DCE device like the GPS.)

      Scott

      Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

      > I'm going to make an attempt to standardize my GPS connectors so I
      > can have some interchangability. My current collection consists of:
      >
      > Garmin GPS II+ (Garmin 4-pin round connector)
      > Garmin GPSmap 276c (odd-ball Garmin 9-pin round connector)
      > Deluo non-Pro (mini-DIN with Alinco adapter)
      > ADS-GM1 (DB-9F connector)
      >
      > Assuming that I bring all of these out to a DB-9F connector, it looks
      > like I should standardize on having Data Out (from the GPS) on pin 2,
      > Data In on pin 3, and Ground on pin 5. The question is what pin to
      > use for power.
      >
      > Both Garmins can use 12 VDC, but the Deluo and ADS-GM1 can only take
      > 5 VDC, so I'm thinking I don't want to use the same pin for both
      > voltages so as to not risk letting the smoke out of one of the GPSs.
      > The ADS-GM1 uses pin 4 for 5 VDC Power. What about the DB-9F adapter
      > for the Deluo? Does it also have power on pin 4? Would it make sense
      > to put 12 VDC for the Garmins on another pin? Which other pin could I
      > use and not cause problems for the other GPSs?
      >
      > Thanks for your input!
      >
      > Bob...

    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2008
        --- Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

        > Would it make sense
        > to put 12 VDC for the Garmins on another pin? Which
        > other pin could I
        > use and not cause problems for the other GPSs?

        I use pin 9.

        Now, while we're on DB9 pin-out, I use pin 1 for TTL
        input.

        so my DB9 pin-out standard:
        1 - TTL input
        2 - RS232 input
        3 - RS232 waypoint out
        4 - Power (5v)
        5 - Ground
        9 - Power (12v / unregulated)

        73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX
      • Bob Poortinga
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2008
          Bob Burns W9RXR asks:

          Scott Miller writes:

          > The Deluo and ADS-GM1 use pin 4 for power. You can use any pin that's
          > normally an output from the DTE side (input to a DCE device like the GPS.)

          Bob, I would say the Pin 7 (Request to Send) is the only safe one to use
          because it it the only DTE output that is not used.

          73 de
          --
          Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
          Bloomington, Indiana US