ADS-GM1 pinout question

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2008
      I'm going to make an attempt to standardize my GPS connectors so I
      can have some interchangability. My current collection consists of:

      Garmin GPS II+ (Garmin 4-pin round connector)
      Garmin GPSmap 276c (odd-ball Garmin 9-pin round connector)
      Deluo non-Pro (mini-DIN with Alinco adapter)
      ADS-GM1 (DB-9F connector)

      Assuming that I bring all of these out to a DB-9F connector, it looks
      like I should standardize on having Data Out (from the GPS) on pin 2,
      Data In on pin 3, and Ground on pin 5. The question is what pin to
      use for power.

      Both Garmins can use 12 VDC, but the Deluo and ADS-GM1 can only take
      5 VDC, so I'm thinking I don't want to use the same pin for both
      voltages so as to not risk letting the smoke out of one of the GPSs.
      The ADS-GM1 uses pin 4 for 5 VDC Power. What about the DB-9F adapter
      for the Deluo? Does it also have power on pin 4? Would it make sense
      to put 12 VDC for the Garmins on another pin? Which other pin could I
      use and not cause problems for the other GPSs?

      Thanks for your input!

      Bob...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2008
        The Deluo and ADS-GM1 use pin 4 for power. You can use any pin that's
        normally an output from the DTE side (input to a DCE device like the GPS.)

        Scott

        Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

        > I'm going to make an attempt to standardize my GPS connectors so I
        > can have some interchangability. My current collection consists of:
        >
        > Garmin GPS II+ (Garmin 4-pin round connector)
        > Garmin GPSmap 276c (odd-ball Garmin 9-pin round connector)
        > Deluo non-Pro (mini-DIN with Alinco adapter)
        > ADS-GM1 (DB-9F connector)
        >
        > Assuming that I bring all of these out to a DB-9F connector, it looks
        > like I should standardize on having Data Out (from the GPS) on pin 2,
        > Data In on pin 3, and Ground on pin 5. The question is what pin to
        > use for power.
        >
        > Both Garmins can use 12 VDC, but the Deluo and ADS-GM1 can only take
        > 5 VDC, so I'm thinking I don't want to use the same pin for both
        > voltages so as to not risk letting the smoke out of one of the GPSs.
        > The ADS-GM1 uses pin 4 for 5 VDC Power. What about the DB-9F adapter
        > for the Deluo? Does it also have power on pin 4? Would it make sense
        > to put 12 VDC for the Garmins on another pin? Which other pin could I
        > use and not cause problems for the other GPSs?
        >
        > Thanks for your input!
        >
        > Bob...

      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2008
          --- Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

          > Would it make sense
          > to put 12 VDC for the Garmins on another pin? Which
          > other pin could I
          > use and not cause problems for the other GPSs?

          I use pin 9.

          Now, while we're on DB9 pin-out, I use pin 1 for TTL
          input.

          so my DB9 pin-out standard:
          1 - TTL input
          2 - RS232 input
          3 - RS232 waypoint out
          4 - Power (5v)
          5 - Ground
          9 - Power (12v / unregulated)

          73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX
        • Bob Poortinga
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2008
            Bob Burns W9RXR asks:

            Scott Miller writes:

            > The Deluo and ADS-GM1 use pin 4 for power. You can use any pin that's
            > normally an output from the DTE side (input to a DCE device like the GPS.)

            Bob, I would say the Pin 7 (Request to Send) is the only safe one to use
            because it it the only DTE output that is not used.

            73 de
            --
            Bob Poortinga K9SQL <http://www.linkedin.com/in/bobpoortinga>
            Bloomington, Indiana US