New firmware

  • scott@opentrac.org
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2006
      Ok, new firmware version is up. This one adds an outgoing message handler,
      and the SEND command to test it with. Syntax is:

      send <destination> <message>

      e.g.,

      send n1vg-1 Hi there.

      Retries are currently fixed at 6 with 12-second intervals. There's only one
      outgoing message buffer, so if you send another one the first gets
      overwritten.

      Eventually I'll add a 'talk' interface so you can just specify a callsign
      and chat back and forth without having to type in the destination every
      time. For now, you can use the REPLY command to send a message to the
      sender of the last message received.

      Scott
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2006
        Had to make a quick fix, we're now at build number 53839.

        You can test the message functions using the APRS email gateway:

        send email scott@... This is a test.

        The 67-character limit makes for short emails - my old work address was
        itself 30 characters - but it's pretty cool anyway.

        Scott

      • pgardella
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22, 2006
          Scott,

          I was playing around with the email function this AM, and it looks
          like the OT2 just keeps sending the email, even after it's been
          digipeated. I pull the plug after I see it send several times, so I
          don't fill the air with useless packets.

          Is this normal behavior?

          The mail does get thru:
          Message received by MacAPRS IGate station WU2Z
          Located in NO BRUNSWICK, NJ
          APRS path = N3EO-2>APOT2A,W3GXT-2*,WIDE2-1,qAo,KB3NEU-1

          Trace:

          cmd:send email pgardella@... Testing email
          SEND email
          cmd:
          WA3MEZ>APU25N,N3KTX-1*,WB4APR-1*,N3KTX-7*,WIDE3-1:}N3DOU-1>APU25N,TCPIP,WA3MEZ*:
          @221529z3921.56N/07603.60W_193/001g003t056r001p023P013b10176h99/

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing email{aa

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing email{aa

          W6LMJ-9>S8TX2Q,N3HU*,QRT*:`h[gl@ov/]"3r}

          N7LGK-1>APW282,N3KTX-1*,WIDE2*:=3910.33N/07703.21W-PHG2130/WinAPRS
          2.8.2 -MDMONB
          ROOKEVI-282-<630>

          N7LGK-1>APW282,N3KTX-1*,WIDE2*:=3910.33N/07703.21W-PHG2130/WinAPRS
          2.8.2 -MDMONB
          ROOKEVI-282-<630>

          W8CUL-11>GPSC47,WIDE2-1:$GPGGA,153017.00,4006.2908,N,07926.7638,W,1,07,1.13,2410
          2,M,-033,M,,*52: ID: MORGANTOWN, WV -- AVIATION DAY DATA: 895,
          3457, 4021, 26
          32, 26, -15, 10997, 18084,113012, 24102, 224

          W8CUL-11>GPSC47,WIDE2-1:$GPGGA,153017.00,4006.2908,N,07926.7638,W,1,07,1.13,2410
          2,M,-033,M,,*52: ID: MORGANTOWN, WV -- AVIATION DAY DATA: 895,
          3457, 4021, 26
          32, 26, -15, 10997, 18084,113012, 24102, 224

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1:!3902.72N/07626.84W- 13.6V 25CTesting an OT2

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1:!3902.72N/07626.84W- 13.6V 25CTesting an OT2

          W8CUL-11>GPSC47,KB3NEU-1*,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*:$GPGGA,153017.00,4006.2908,N,07926.763
          8,W,1,07,1.13,24102,M,-033,M,,*52: ID: MORGANTOWN, WV -- AVIATION DAY
          DATA: 8
          95, 3457, 4021, 2632, 26, -15, 10997, 18084,113012, 24102, 224

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing email{aa

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WIDE2-1::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing email{aa

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing
          email{aa

          AI3L-8>SYQU4R,WIDE2-1:'h9]l"Bs/]

          AI3L-8>SYQU4R,WIDE2-1:'h9]l"Bs/]

          AI3L-8>SYQU4R,WB4APR-1*,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*:'h9]l"Bs/]

          AI3L-8>SYQU4R,KB3NEU-1*,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*:'h9]l"Bs/]

          W8V-11>GPSC47,N3HU*,QRT*:$GPGGA,153041.00,4006.3369,N,07926.7683,W,1,08,0.90,242
          00,M,-033,M,,*59: ID: 73 FROM AVIATION DAYS MORGANTOWN DATA: 903,
          3547, 2695, 4
          095, 495, 1401, 0, 0, 0, 17, -16, 9652, 20764,112451, 24200, 224

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,WB4APR-1*,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*::EMAIL :pgardella@...
          Testing email{aa

          N3EO-2>APOT2A,N3HU*,QRT*::EMAIL :pgardella@... Testing email{aa

          K0MRC-14>SY0Q5Y,N3KTX-7*,WIDE2*:`hYMl 8u/]"4+}doing it to ft. dix, nj

          W6LMJ-9>S8TW7U,N3KTX-7*,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2:`h[xo^"v/]"3r}

          W6LMJ-9>S8TW7U,N3HU*,QRT*:`h[xo^"v/]"3r}

          W8CUL-11>GPSC47,WIDE2-1:$GPGGA,153107.00,4006.4049,N,07926.7538,W,1,08,0.90,2430
          3,M,-033,M,,*5D: ID: MORGANTOWN, WV -- AVIATION DAY DATA: 900,
          3451, 4009, 26
          30, 14, -18, 10654, 18125,113102, 24303, 224

        • scott@opentrac.org
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 26, 2006
            > I was playing around with the email function this AM, and it looks
            > like the OT2 just keeps sending the email, even after it's been
            > digipeated. I pull the plug after I see it send several times, so I
            > don't fill the air with useless packets.

            Did you get an ACK from the email server? You should actually get both an
            ACK and a message stating that it was delivered OK. If you didn't get
            anything, perhaps it's because the Igate isn't gating the ACK back to you,
            or maybe it's not gating with a sufficient path to reach you. You can check
            on FindU under 'messages' for your station and see if anything was sent
            back.

            > Is this normal behavior?

            It'll retry 6 times or until it gets an ACK.

            Scott
          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006
              Build 53845 has been posted. Changes:

              All configuration commands should now show their current settings if no
              parameter is specified. Example:

              cmd:mycall
              MYCALL N1VG-6

              PATH, VERSION, and LIST commands added. Setting path to '-' (or any other
              single-character value) clears it. LIST shows the current values of all
              (implemented) configuration parameters.

              Remote commands are now preceeded with CMD instead of SET. SET didn't make
              much sense for things like VERSION. Also, remote commands now send

            • Jason Rausch
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 27, 2006
                Scott, I could have sworn after I loaded this new FW
                the name "Kantronics" hovered in the air over the OT2
                board for a moment ;o)

                Awesome job! Man, this thing is working great. I
                have had mine sitting on the kitchen table with a
                Motorola HT digi'ing for about two days now. Not a
                single hangup yet.

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics
                www.rpc-electronics.com

                --- scott@... wrote:

                > Build 53845 has been posted. Changes:
                >
                > All configuration commands should now show their
                > current settings if no
                > parameter is specified. Example:
                >
                > cmd:mycall
                > MYCALL N1VG-6
                >
                > PATH, VERSION, and LIST commands added. Setting
                > path to '-' (or any other
                > single-character value) clears it. LIST shows the
                > current values of all
                > (implemented) configuration parameters.
                >
                > Remote commands are now preceeded with CMD instead
                > of SET. SET didn't make
                > much sense for things like VERSION. Also, remote
                > commands now send

              • Jason Rausch
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                  A couple of questions came to mind when looking
                  through the command set.

                  1. What are the chances of having a ABAUD to support
                  different baud rates? I would say that 1200 2400,
                  4800 and 9600 would be the only reasonables ones. I
                  think you see where I'm going with this. If I could
                  use 4800 baud, I could test the HamHUD with parsing
                  the packets.

                  2. How about a CONVERSE mode? I know that when you
                  send a "$" you can put it in a sort of one-way
                  converse mode, but what about sending a constructed
                  packet to the serial port for TX? The standard seems
                  to be "CONV".

                  Jason KE4NYV
                  RPC Electronics
                  www.rpc-electronics.com
                • scott@opentrac.org
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                    Ah, what the heck.. I'm bored today.

                    New firmware's up, CONVERSE is implemented, or at least my first pass at it.
                    Biggest known flaw is that it'll hang while it's waiting for the channel to
                    be clear, and if the watchdog timer times out while it's waiting, it'll
                    reset. That takes about 3 or 4 seconds. Also, the receive side still
                    relies on MONITOR being on.

                    SLOT command is also implemented. That sets the timeslot. I was going to
                    combine it with the TIMESLOT command, but I left that in as an on/off, so
                    you could disable timeslotting without losing the slot you had set. Hmm,
                    maybe I'll add support for centrally assigned timeslots... that might be
                    useful for some events.

                    Scott

                  • scott@opentrac.org
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 28, 2006
                      Oh yeah, on the baud rate thing.. haven't tackled that yet because of the
                      need for a little more impact analysis. With profile switching especially
                      it takes close attention to what's going on with hardware registers.

                      Gotta find that autobaud algorithm again...

                      Scott

                    • Wes johnston
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 29, 2006
                        Jeez, if yer bored, why not one wire weather?

                        I'm off to a SCSG dog and pony show.
                        Wes
                        New firmware's up, CONVERSE is implemented, or at least my first pass at it.
                        Biggest known flaw is that it'll hang while it's waiting for the channel to
                        be clear, and if the watchdog timer times out while it's waiting, it'll
                        reset.  That takes about 3 or 4 seconds.  Also, the receive side still
                        relies on MONITOR being on.

                        SLOT command is also implemented.  That sets the timeslot.  I was going to
                        combine it with the TIMESLOT command, but I left that in as an on/off, so
                        you could disable timeslotting without losing the slot you had set.  Hmm,
                        maybe I'll add support for centrally assigned timeslots... that might be
                        useful for some events.

                        Scott

                      • Jon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 29, 2006
                          Apologies,

                          I'm a bit slow catching up,

                          Converse is cool.

                          Has it stopped showing the packets it is digipeating?

                          Any chance you could put the commands in alphabetical
                          order? i.e. when a list is done.. it makes it easier
                          to find the settings.

                          I tried kiss mode with digipeat on and it seems to be
                          working fine so maybe I was just talking rubbish
                          before (couldn't do kiss and digipeat).

                          It doesn't seem to be responding to commands in kiss
                          mode though it is digipeating them

                          Regards
                          de John
                          EI7IG

                        • Jon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 30, 2006
                            Just an idea for a feature;

                            UI-DIGI style beacons, that can can have different
                            paths... say one ever 10 mins with no path, one every
                            20 mins with WIDE2-1 and one every 30 mins with
                            WIDE2-2.

                            Regards
                            John

                            NEW - Yahoo! 360 – Your one place to blog, create, publish and share! http://uk.360.yahoo.com
                          • scott@opentrac.org
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3 9:21 AM
                              > Has it stopped showing the packets it is digipeating?

                              It should show everything as long as MONITOR is enabled.

                              > Any chance you could put the commands in alphabetical
                              > order? i.e. when a list is done.. it makes it easier
                              > to find the settings.

                              Done.

                              > It doesn't seem to be responding to commands in kiss
                              > mode though it is digipeating them

                              Hmm, that'd be because it doesn't pass packets to the APRS parser in KISS
                              mode. I'm going to have to reconsider how I handle that. I think I can
                              just suppress the waypoint output instead. When I set it up, there WAS no
                              other output besides the waypoints, so it wasn't an issue.

                              Scott
                            • Jon
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4 5:22 AM

                                > It should show everything as long as MONITOR is
                                > enabled.
                                I'll check again over the weekend, but it seemed to be
                                showing all other packets on the air except what it
                                was digipeating.

                                > > Any chance you could put the commands in
                                > alphabetical
                                > > order? i.e. when a list is done.. it makes it
                                > easier
                                > > to find the settings.
                                >
                                > Done.
                                Cheers

                                > > It doesn't seem to be responding to commands in
                                > kiss
                                > > mode though it is digipeating them
                                >
                                > Hmm, that'd be because it doesn't pass packets to
                                > the APRS parser in KISS
                                > mode. I'm going to have to reconsider how I handle
                                > that. I think I can
                                > just suppress the waypoint output instead. When I
                                > set it up, there WAS no
                                > other output besides the waypoints, so it wasn't an
                                > issue.
                                I was just wondering if it was a bug or a feature :).
                                If its a feature, then thats fine.

                                John