Re: [tracker2] Tracker2 - weird behavior - HELP

  • Steven Palm
    Message 1 of 24 , May 5, 2008
      On May 5, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
      > Steven, did you try the latest beta firmware, and did it solve the
      > problem?

      Just before leaving for work this morning I flashed the latest and
      reset defaults. I then loaded my previous configuration in and drove
      to work. On the way home I issued an --AMODE and received the same
      sort of garbage data back out, only this time your changes to the
      messaging protocol were evident, it didn't seem to ACK the command and
      it keep sending responses to the --AMODE command over and over (but
      with some variance in the returned data) until I deleted the outbox
      command.

      So, no joy yet.

      The thing I did not do was to test --AMODE right after flashing, but
      that worked even on the previous versions it was only after a period
      of operation that it stopped working.

      Steve
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6, 2008
        You got the new beta version, right? Can you confirm the build number?

        Scott

        Steven Palm wrote:

        > On May 5, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
        > > Steven, did you try the latest beta firmware, and did it solve the
        > > problem?
        >
        > Just before leaving for work this morning I flashed the latest and
        > reset defaults. I then loaded my previous configuration in and drove
        > to work. On the way home I issued an --AMODE and received the same
        > sort of garbage data back out, only this time your changes to the
        > messaging protocol were evident, it didn't seem to ACK the command and
        > it keep sending responses to the --AMODE command over and over (but
        > with some variance in the returned data) until I deleted the outbox
        > command.
        >
        > So, no joy yet.
        >
        > The thing I did not do was to test --AMODE right after flashing, but
        > that worked even on the previous versions it was only after a period
        > of operation that it stopped working.
        >
        > Steve

      • Steven Palm
        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2008
          On May 6, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
          > You got the new beta version, right? Can you confirm the build
          > number?

          Yes, I did. Tracker2 Build 54588.

          I deleted all inbox/outbox messages and it seems to have cured the
          never-ending repeating inbound messages.

          I'll send you screenshots again.

          Steve
        • Steven Palm
          Message 4 of 24 , May 6, 2008
            On May 6, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Steven Palm wrote:
            > On May 6, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
            >> You got the new beta version, right? Can you confirm the build
            >> number?
            >
            > Yes, I did. Tracker2 Build 54588.

            Just as a test, I did a fresh re-load of 54588 from the web.

            I let it reset to defaults.

            I created a new config from scratch, not loading my old one.

            I saved it, wrote it to the tracker and quit, restarted the tracker.

            SENT: --AMODE
            GOT: AUTO
            SENT: --BMODE
            GOT: the same garbage as I've been seeing.

            Now both --AMODE and --BMODE return those weird characters.

            Hmmmmm........

            Message 5 of 24 , May 6, 2008
              And it doesn't do this if you use the same commands from the console
              instead of from the GPS?

              I've got all of tomorrow set aside to work on this stuff, so hopefully
              we'll get it sorted out soon.

              Scott

              Steven Palm wrote:

              > On May 6, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Steven Palm wrote:
              > > On May 6, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
              > >> You got the new beta version, right? Can you confirm the build
              > >> number?
              > >
              > > Yes, I did. Tracker2 Build 54588.
              >
              > Just as a test, I did a fresh re-load of 54588 from the web.
              >
              > I let it reset to defaults.
              >
              > I created a new config from scratch, not loading my old one.
              >
              > I saved it, wrote it to the tracker and quit, restarted the tracker.
              >
              > SENT: --AMODE
              > GOT: AUTO
              > SENT: --BMODE
              > GOT: the same garbage as I've been seeing.
              >
              > Now both --AMODE and --BMODE return those weird characters.
              >
              > Hmmmmm........
              >

              > > I deleted all inbox/outbox messages and it seems to have cured the
              > > never-ending repeating inbound messages.
              > >
              > > I'll send you screenshots again.
              > >
              > > Steve

            • Steven Palm
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                On May 6, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                > And it doesn't do this if you use the same commands from the console
                > instead of from the GPS?

                You know, I haven't tried that... I've never hooked anything up to
                the console, I just ran the A/B splitter with two cables, one to the
                GPS and one for the KISS mode test setup to see if it was decoding.
                Since I have port A set to AUTO, I will just run a standard term
                program and try those on the console. I will make every effort to do
                this yet this afternoon.

                Steve
              • Brent Gay
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                  I was just curious and tried it with my setup and it worked as expected:

                  Garmin Nuvi 350 w/ firmware 5.4
                  Tracker2 Build 54588

                  sent --amode
                  received : AMODE GARMIN
                  sent --bmode
                  received : BMODE FLOW

                  Brent

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                    I duplicate the setup - Nuvi 350 on port B, PC on port A - and couldn't
                    duplicate the problem. I set AMODE to KISS, and even to Garmin just for
                    kicks - all that did was spew garbage out port A as it duplicated all of
                    the Garmin traffic it was sending to port B, but it still worked just fine.

                    I could really use a configuration file from the affected T2. The only
                    way I can see that it'd be getting garbled responses to those commands
                    is if those bytes got overwritten somehow. Seeing what they've been
                    overwritten with would help me figure out what's gone wrong.

                    Scott

                    Brent Gay wrote:

                    > I was just curious and tried it with my setup and it worked as expected:
                    >
                    > Garmin Nuvi 350 w/ firmware 5.4
                    > Tracker2 Build 54588
                    >
                    > sent --amode
                    > received : AMODE GARMIN
                    > sent --bmode
                    > received : BMODE FLOW
                    >
                    > Brent
                    >
                    > On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Steven Palm <n9yty@...
                    > <mailto:n9yty%40n9yty.com>> wrote:

                    > > > Yes, I did. Tracker2 Build 54588.
                    > >
                    > > Just as a test, I did a fresh re-load of 54588 from the web.
                    > >
                    > > I let it reset to defaults.
                    > >
                    > > I created a new config from scratch, not loading my old one.
                    > >
                    > > I saved it, wrote it to the tracker and quit, restarted the tracker.
                    > >
                    > > SENT: --AMODE
                    > > GOT: AUTO
                    > > SENT: --BMODE
                    > > GOT: the same garbage as I've been seeing.
                    > >
                    > > Now both --AMODE and --BMODE return those weird characters.
                    > >
                    > > Hmmmmm........
                    > >

                    > > > I deleted all inbox/outbox messages and it seems to have cured the
                    > > > never-ending repeating inbound messages.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'll send you screenshots again.
                    > > >
                    > > > Steve

                  • Steven Palm
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                      On May 7, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                      > I duplicate the setup - Nuvi 350 on port B, PC on port A - and
                      > couldn't
                      > duplicate the problem. I set AMODE to KISS, and even to Garmin just
                      > for
                      > kicks - all that did was spew garbage out port A as it duplicated
                      > all of
                      > the Garmin traffic it was sending to port B, but it still worked
                      > just fine.

                      Maybe I just need to return the Tracker2 to you for replacement and
                      further investigation.... Or if you'd advance ship one... ;)

                      I can send you the config, but I'm telling you that this last time I
                      loaded the new firmware and allowed it to set defaults. I then ran
                      the config program, and set every parameter by hand, then wrote it to
                      the Tracker2. I was able to issue ONE --AMODE command and get a good
                      response, then the next one gave garbage.

                      I sent Scott a copy in email to confirm the problem also happens
                      when showing the values from the console using the DISPLAY command.

                      > I could really use a configuration file from the affected T2.

                      I will email it, in fact both the old one I had been using as well
                      as the new one I created from scratch this last time.

                      To be fair, if you read back on the thread, the problem didn't
                      always happen immediately. When I first noticed it and re-flashed the
                      firmware, I was able to issue several --AMODE / --BMODE commands and
                      get good responses, it was only later that evening that I got garbage
                      again. It just so happened that this last time it started with the
                      garbage responses almost immediately.

                      I am running two ~6ft shielded DB9/DB9 (purchased from Scott) from
                      the Tracker2 in the trunk up to the front seat where both the Nüvi and
                      laptop sit. Dunno if stray RF is getting through those cables, but it
                      seems most improbably that it would have the same effect and only
                      affect those values...

                      Anyway, AMODE=AUTO, BMODE=GARMIN is the config I have used since the
                      beginning.

                      Steve

                      > The only way I can see that it'd be getting garbled responses to
                      > those commands
                      > is if those bytes got overwritten somehow. Seeing what they've been
                      > overwritten with would help me figure out what's gone wrong.

                      I'll have to try to grab a config dump and save it now that it is
                      showing the problem as well. I'll hopefully send both to Scott
                      directly within fifteen minutes.

                      Steve
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                        Ok, after you start getting the garbage, can you grab a configuration
                        from otwincfg and send me the file? That'll capture an exact binary
                        image of the configuration data structure, so I can analyze it in more
                        detail than the DISPLAY output.

                        Scott

                        Steven Palm wrote:

                        > On May 7, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                        > > I duplicate the setup - Nuvi 350 on port B, PC on port A - and
                        > > couldn't
                        > > duplicate the problem. I set AMODE to KISS, and even to Garmin just
                        > > for
                        > > kicks - all that did was spew garbage out port A as it duplicated
                        > > all of
                        > > the Garmin traffic it was sending to port B, but it still worked
                        > > just fine.
                        >
                        > Maybe I just need to return the Tracker2 to you for replacement and
                        > further investigation.... Or if you'd advance ship one... ;)
                        >
                        > I can send you the config, but I'm telling you that this last time I
                        > loaded the new firmware and allowed it to set defaults. I then ran
                        > the config program, and set every parameter by hand, then wrote it to
                        > the Tracker2. I was able to issue ONE --AMODE command and get a good
                        > response, then the next one gave garbage.
                        >
                        > I sent Scott a copy in email to confirm the problem also happens
                        > when showing the values from the console using the DISPLAY command.
                        >
                        > > I could really use a configuration file from the affected T2.
                        >
                        > I will email it, in fact both the old one I had been using as well
                        > as the new one I created from scratch this last time.
                        >
                        > To be fair, if you read back on the thread, the problem didn't
                        > always happen immediately. When I first noticed it and re-flashed the
                        > firmware, I was able to issue several --AMODE / --BMODE commands and
                        > get good responses, it was only later that evening that I got garbage
                        > again. It just so happened that this last time it started with the
                        > garbage responses almost immediately.
                        >
                        > I am running two ~6ft shielded DB9/DB9 (purchased from Scott) from
                        > the Tracker2 in the trunk up to the front seat where both the Nüvi and
                        > laptop sit. Dunno if stray RF is getting through those cables, but it
                        > seems most improbably that it would have the same effect and only
                        > affect those values...
                        >
                        > Anyway, AMODE=AUTO, BMODE=GARMIN is the config I have used since the
                        > beginning.
                        >
                        > Steve
                        >
                        > > The only way I can see that it'd be getting garbled responses to
                        > > those commands
                        > > is if those bytes got overwritten somehow. Seeing what they've been
                        > > overwritten with would help me figure out what's gone wrong.
                        >
                        > I'll have to try to grab a config dump and save it now that it is
                        > showing the problem as well. I'll hopefully send both to Scott
                        > directly within fifteen minutes.
                        >
                        > Steve

                      • Steven Palm
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 10, 2008
                          THANK YOU SCOTT! :)

                          Just a note that this problem is fixed, and will be included in an
                          upcoming firmware revision. I have a test version that fixes my
                          issue, but there were a few more changes Scott wanted to make before a
                          public release.

                          Steve