New Tracker2 not decoding packets very well

  • bp_gay
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2008
      I am using a newly purchased Tracker2 hooked to a RS HTX-202 hooked to
      my external antenna about 30 feet high. When this antenna is hooked to
      my Yaesu 8800/PSK-232 I can decode many packets. When hooked to the
      HTX-202/Tracker2 it does not decode anything. What can I do to
      troubleshoot this problem? If it will not decode from my house, for
      sure it will not decode from my vehicle. I am using Winpack to monitor
      the console. Monitor is ON. I played with both EQ on and off and
      volume level from the radio. I see on another thread that others are
      having a hard time decoding packets as well. I hope I have not got one
      that has an issue.

      Thanks,
      Brent, KF4JZY
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2008
        Brent KF4JZY wrote...

        > I am using a newly purchased Tracker2 hooked to a RS HTX-202 hooked to
        > my external antenna about 30 feet high. When this antenna is hooked to
        > my Yaesu 8800/PSK-232 I can decode many packets. When hooked to the
        > HTX-202/Tracker2 it does not decode anything.

        Are you doing any profile switching... i.e. are you in config 1 or 2?
        Whichever one it is, do you have MON ON? Maybe with profile
        switching, it's over in config (profile) 2. What about feeding audio
        from the HTX-202 to the PK-232... or was that PSK-232? Can it decode
        audio fed from the HTX-202? Are you using unsquelched audio?
        What about feeding audio from the Yaesu 8800 to the Tracker2?

        > What can I do to troubleshoot this problem? If it will not decode from
        > my house, for sure it will not decode from my vehicle. I am using
        > Winpack to monitor the console. Monitor is ON. I played with both EQ
        > on and off and volume level from the radio...

        So much for it being something simple like not having MON ON! It sounds
        like you have checked all of the usual things. What settings are you
        using in WinPack? I was going to ask if you had flow control turned on
        in WinPack, but that wouldn't stop the Tracker2 from sending data to the
        PC. I was also going to ask if you had the correct baud rate in WinPack,
        but if you have set MON ON, you must have had a command prompt to do
        that.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Brent Gay
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2008
          OK, profiles switching is off.

          I resoldered a connector on the end of the cable from the Yaesu 8800 which is coming from the data port on the back. It works beautifully!! I am now receiving a ton of packets and my Nuvi's favorites are filling up with stations and I can see them on the map. Yippie...it is not the tracker.

          Now the question is why in the world am I having such a hard time with the HTX-202??? I really would like to use that radio because it is a spare and I do not want to buy another. Do I need to have a resistor and capacitor somewhere in the cable? I saw that in some diagrams.

          Thanks for the help,

          Brent

          Brent KF4JZY wrote...

          Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2008
            Brent KF4JZY wrote...

            > Now the question is why in the world am I having such a hard time with
            > the HTX-202??? I really would like to use that radio because it is a
            > spare and I do not want to buy another. Do I need to have a resistor
            > and capacitor somewhere in the cable? I saw that in some diagrams.

            I know there are people using the HTX-202 but I did a search...

            http://www.tigertronics.com/bay_wire.htm#RADIO SHACK
            RADIO SHACK - (HTX-202, HTX-404) Wired the same as ICOM.
            This radio does not receive as well as some others on packet. The
            problem is that the radio's audio frequency response rolls off too
            soon and distorts the high tone...

            Also http://www.qrz.com/download/mods-e-h/htx202pk.txt
            *** The file name is htx202pk.txt but the subject says HTX-252
            Subject: Subj: HTX-252 Packet
            This radio wasn't particularly suited to packet use as purchased.
            Transmit was easily decoded by other rigs, but receive audio was,
            shall we say, horrible. Looking at the audio signal it appeared
            that the 1200Hz tone had about 6-12dB more gain than the 2200Hz
            tone when working 1200 AFSK.

            To solve this, route the rx signal directly from the FM detector
            directly to the 1/8" speaker jack. The audio signal has a DC
            componant that is blocked by a 470uF/16V electrolytic (radial
            leaded tubular located near the side of the chassis near the
            speaker jack).

            Remove the 470uF cap and use one pad to route the rx signal
            from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
            (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
            jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
            fit between the PCB and the cover.

            The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
            (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
            to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
            side is connected to ground).

            Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
            to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
            signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...

            regards - Willy KC0JFQ

            Given the above information, I think you would be better off with the EQ
            jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck with
            the HTX-202.

            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          • Brent Gay
            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2008
              Here is my latest testing:

              Yaesu to PK-232 - Decodes
              HTX-202 to PK-232 - Decodes
              Yaesu to Tracker2 - Decodes
              HTX-202 to Tracker2 - Does not decode even a signal coming from the same room.

              I have checked wiring, reset/reflashed the tracker, made sure all settings were correct. Is there anyone who is using a HTX-202 with a Tracker2 that can tell me how it is working for you and any advice?

              Thanks Keith for the investigation you did. I am hoping there is some way to get this working without having to rewire the inside of the radio.

              Brent

              On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

              Brent KF4JZY wrote...

              > Now the question is why in the world am I having such a hard time with
              > the HTX-202??? I really would like to use that radio because it is a
              > spare and I do not want to buy another. Do I need to have a resistor
              > and capacitor somewhere in the cable? I saw that in some diagrams.

              I know there are people using the HTX-202 but I did a search...

              http://www.tigertronics.com/bay_wire.htm#RADIO SHACK
              RADIO SHACK - (HTX-202, HTX-404) Wired the same as ICOM.
              This radio does not receive as well as some others on packet. The
              problem is that the radio's audio frequency response rolls off too
              soon and distorts the high tone...

              Also http://www.qrz.com/download/mods-e-h/htx202pk.txt
              *** The file name is htx202pk.txt but the subject says HTX-252
              This radio wasn't particularly suited to packet use as purchased.
              Transmit was easily decoded by other rigs, but receive audio was,
              shall we say, horrible. Looking at the audio signal it appeared
              that the 1200Hz tone had about 6-12dB more gain than the 2200Hz
              tone when working 1200 AFSK.

              To solve this, route the rx signal directly from the FM detector
              directly to the 1/8" speaker jack. The audio signal has a DC
              componant that is blocked by a 470uF/16V electrolytic (radial
              leaded tubular located near the side of the chassis near the
              speaker jack).

              Remove the 470uF cap and use one pad to route the rx signal
              from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
              (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
              jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
              fit between the PCB and the cover.

              The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
              (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
              to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
              side is connected to ground).

              Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
              to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
              signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...

              regards - Willy KC0JFQ

              Given the above information, I think you would be better off with the EQ
              jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck with
              the HTX-202.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

            • Patrick
              Message 6 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                How do you have the htx202 connected to the tracker2? What resistor and
                capacitor values are you using in the connection for ptt? I've got a
                couple OTs using the 202's and packet in general with no troubles.

              • Brent Gay
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                  For testing purposes I have the PTT wire unhooked. I just have the ground going to pin 6 and the audio in going to pin 5. I confirmed that works by recording some audio to Audacity. Also, I see the RX light come on but no decoded packets on the console. I do have some 2.2k resistors and .1uf caps. Will I need those if I use the HT jumper in the T2?

                  Brent

                  Brent Gay wrote:
> [...]
                  > from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
                  > (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
                  > jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
                  > fit between the PCB and the cover.
                  >
                  > The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
                  > (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
                  > to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
                  > side is connected to ground).
                  >
                  > Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
                  > to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
                  > signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...
                  >
                  > regards - Willy KC0JFQ
                  >
                  > Given the above information, I think you would be better off with
                  > the EQ
                  > jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck with

                • Patrick
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                    are you perhaps overdriving the tracker with too much volume from the
                    htx?? with some handhelds it takes a bit of playing if you don't happen
                    to have an analyzer handy to set the receive levels. the 2.2k resistor
                    is likely a little low.. I don't have a cable handy to look as I think
                    my spare one is at work, but I think mine are all using at least 3k's.

                    Brent Gay wrote:
                    > For testing purposes I have the PTT wire unhooked. I just have the
                    > ground going to pin 6 and the audio in going to pin 5. I confirmed
                    > that works by recording some audio to Audacity. Also, I see the RX
                    > light come on but no decoded packets on the console. I do have some
                    > 2.2k resistors and .1uf caps. Will I need those if I use the HT jumper
                    > in the T2?
                    >
                    > Brent

                  • Brent Gay
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                      One thing I am noticing is that it seems the T2 needs to have an almost full-scale signal to decode packets. I am getting a steady stream of good sounding packets with 6 bars of signal of my Yaesu 8800 and it is not decoding them. The only way it is decoding is if the signal is at least 8 bars on the radio. I have it wired to the 1200baud wire.

                      As far as the HTX-202; I do not have the resistor in the circuit because I thought that only had to do with the TX. I also looked at the schematic for the HTX-202 cable that Byonics sells and it does not show having the resistor. I have played with the volume a lot on the HTX-202 with no success. I'm starting to wonder if my T2 is hard of hearing?? Maybe I'm spoiled by my PK-232, but after all that has a DSP in it as well. Is it normal to need such a strong signal to properly decode packets with the T2?

                      Sorry for all the questions; I'm just wanting to get this to work without having to but another radio.

                      Brent

                      Brent Gay wrote:
                      > For testing purposes I have the PTT wire unhooked. I just have the
                      > ground going to pin 6 and the audio in going to pin 5. I confirmed
                      > that works by recording some audio to Audacity. Also, I see the RX
                      > light come on but no decoded packets on the console. I do have some
                      > 2.2k resistors and .1uf caps. Will I need those if I use the HT jumper
                      > in the T2?
                      >
                      > Brent

                    • EM Sharp
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                        Brent: I presume you are having trouble decoding signals from the
                        HTX202, this is obviously a different problem than keying up the
                        HTX202 for transmission. You are not alone with the problem of
                        decoding HTX202 audio. I tried it here after reading your post and I
                        too have very poor results with HTX signals. I would not say "it
                        doesn't work at ALL", but it is very sensitive to signal level (both
                        audio and rf). Make sure your radio is using some sort of a gain
                        antenna/ not a rubber duck, and place the antenna a good distance
                        (10-15 feet is not too much) from your computer, particularly the
                        display -- it radiates a lot of rf noise and the HTX hears it very
                        well. The "S meter" will give a clue to how bad this is.
                        Have patience, Scott is pretty much aware of a problem in this
                        area and is working on it. The HTX is however a new player in this
                        act I was not aware of previously. Thanks for the post.

                        <ve7gdh@...<ve7gdh%40yahoo.com>
                        > > > <mailto:ve7gdh@... <ve7gdh%40yahoo.com>>> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Brent KF4JZY wrote...

                        > > > time with
                        > > >
                        > > > I know there are people using the HTX-202 but I did a search...
                        > > >
                        > > > http://www.tigertronics.com/bay_wire.htm#RADIO SHACK
                        > > > RADIO SHACK - (HTX-202, HTX-404) Wired the same as ICOM.
                        > > > This radio does not receive as well as some others on packet. The
                        > > > problem is that the radio's audio frequency response rolls off too
                        > > > soon and distorts the high tone...
                        > > >
                        > > > Also http://www.qrz.com/download/mods-e-h/htx202pk.txt
                        > > > *** The file name is htx202pk.txt but the subject says HTX-252
                        > > > Subject: Subj: HTX-252 Packet
                        > > > This radio wasn't particularly suited to packet use as purchased.
                        > > > Transmit was easily decoded by other rigs, but receive audio was,
                        > > > shall we say, horrible. Looking at the audio signal it appeared
                        > > > that the 1200Hz tone had about 6-12dB more gain than the 2200Hz
                        > > > tone when working 1200 AFSK.
                        > > >
                        > > > To solve this, route the rx signal directly from the FM detector
                        > > > directly to the 1/8" speaker jack. The audio signal has a DC
                        > > > componant that is blocked by a 470uF/16V electrolytic (radial
                        > > > leaded tubular located near the side of the chassis near the
                        > > > speaker jack).
                        > > >
                        > > > Remove the 470uF cap and use one pad to route the rx signal
                        > > > from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
                        > > > (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
                        > > > jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
                        > > > fit between the PCB and the cover.
                        > > >
                        > > > The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
                        > > > (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
                        > > > to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
                        > > > side is connected to ground).
                        > > >
                        > > > Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
                        > > > to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
                        > > > signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...
                        > > >
                        > > > regards - Willy KC0JFQ
                        > > >
                        > > > Given the above information, I think you would be better off with
                        > > > the EQ
                        > > > jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck
                        with
                        > > > the HTX-202.
                        > > >

                        > > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                        > > > --
                        > > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

                      • Brent Gay
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                          Elmer,
                          Thanks for the reply. Yes, the problem is only with receive. Also, my antenna hooked to the HTX-202 is a jpole up about 30feet.

                          Brent

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2008
                            I used an HTX-202 in my balloon experiment, and it received just fine
                            there. That was an older T2 prototype, though. I've still got 202's in
                            my office, and I can try running a test sometime to see how they compare.

                            Scott

                            Brent Gay wrote:

> [...]
                            > from the FM detector (TK10487 pin 11) through a small cap
                            > (there is a DC bias on pin 11) to the pad connected to the speaker
                            > jack. I used a .015 from the junk box as it was small enough to
                            > fit between the PCB and the cover.
                            >
                            > The audio can also be reconnected using a axial leaded cap
                            > (+ to PCB) in the remaining pad (signal from the audio amplifier)
                            > to provide audio to the speaker (probably the brown wire, other
                            > side is connected to ground).
                            >
                            > Speaker now works, volume/squelch do con control the signal
                            > to the speaker jack, it is line-level at about 800mV for a packet
                            > signal. Note that the jack is unsquelch-ed, so newer TNC's only...
                            >
                            > regards - Willy KC0JFQ
                            >
                            > Given the above information, I think you would be better off with
                            > the EQ
                            > jumper on. Try it with un-squelched and with SWDCD ON. Good luck with

                          • Brent Gay
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 5, 2008
                              That would be great. Thanks.

                              Brent