Re: [tracker2] New Tracker2 Owner Questions

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2008
      On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      > > 6. I do a lot of driving in my small town. I'm thinking that the
      > > default Smartbeaconing settings may not be optimum. There are a lot of
      > > times I only drive 2 minutes down the road. Would it be better just to
      > > leave Smartbeaconing off? What do you think would be best in my case?
      >
      > Use SmartBeaconing! You don't have to use the default settings.
      > Corner pegging will cause it to beacon when you turn a corner.
      > SmartBeaconing is the best setting for most people, but definitely look
      > at the settings and adjust them to your needs.

      CornerPegging (tm) is going to be the routine that causes the most
      position reports to be sent during city driving, where you are making
      many turns. SmartBeaconing (tm) is designed to automatically adjust
      the reporting rate in relation to the speed you are traveling. There's
      no need to report your parked vehicle location every minute or two.
      Slow speed reporting rates should be over a long interval, as Keith
      suggests, 1800 seconds is good. High speed reporting rates are the
      minimum amount of time that you want to pass before reporting a new
      position when driving at or above your high speed threshold. When you
      are driving in an area where you will be making many successive turns,
      such as a parking lot, or traffic circle, you will want to make sure
      that the minimum turn time will keep you from sending a flurry of
      packets in rapid succession.

      By all means, you can play with the SmartBeacon settings, but I would
      highly recommend that you read up on SmartBeaconing and what the
      various parameters affect. Poorly selected SmartBeacon parameters can
      increase the traffic load on a channel rather than decrease it as
      SmartBeaconing was designed.

      If you are going to turn SmartBeaconing off, and as you say, you only
      drive for 2 minutes down the road, you will probably select a fairly
      short position reporting interval, so you will show where you were
      when you started your vehicle, and possibly get another report out
      before you park. You'll probably also want to leave the tracker on, so
      that your vehicle will show up where it is parked, rather than where
      it was when it last sent a position report before it was turned off.
      This situation is bad, as you will most likely end up sending position
      reports from a parked vehicle at an unreasonably rapid rate, clogging
      the APRS network with redundant data.

      I'd suggest leaving SmartBeaconing turned on, and leaving the tracker
      powered up. SmartBeaconing will automatically work to make your
      tracker as network friendly as possible.

      Add an APO3 to the mix, and have your tracker automatically power down
      after being parked for a set time, or when it senses that your battery
      voltage level is getting low.