Re: [tracker2] New Tracker2 Owner Questions

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2008
      Brent KF4JZY wrote...

      > One more question -- How do you know to activate the EQ and HI jumper
      > or not? Currently, I have the EQ jumper on and the HI jumper off.

      The EQ jumper enables receive equalization. I would say don't enable it
      if you are feeding it with de-empathized audio, but... by all means try
      it both ways and see what results you get.

      The HI jumper raises the transmit audio level. You want about a little
      over 3 kHz. If you are setting it by ear, err on the low side.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2008
        On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

        > > 6. I do a lot of driving in my small town. I'm thinking that the
        > > default Smartbeaconing settings may not be optimum. There are a lot of
        > > times I only drive 2 minutes down the road. Would it be better just to
        > > leave Smartbeaconing off? What do you think would be best in my case?
        >
        > Use SmartBeaconing! You don't have to use the default settings.
        > Corner pegging will cause it to beacon when you turn a corner.
        > SmartBeaconing is the best setting for most people, but definitely look
        > at the settings and adjust them to your needs.

        CornerPegging (tm) is going to be the routine that causes the most
        position reports to be sent during city driving, where you are making
        many turns. SmartBeaconing (tm) is designed to automatically adjust
        the reporting rate in relation to the speed you are traveling. There's
        no need to report your parked vehicle location every minute or two.
        Slow speed reporting rates should be over a long interval, as Keith
        suggests, 1800 seconds is good. High speed reporting rates are the
        minimum amount of time that you want to pass before reporting a new
        position when driving at or above your high speed threshold. When you
        are driving in an area where you will be making many successive turns,
        such as a parking lot, or traffic circle, you will want to make sure
        that the minimum turn time will keep you from sending a flurry of
        packets in rapid succession.

        By all means, you can play with the SmartBeacon settings, but I would
        highly recommend that you read up on SmartBeaconing and what the
        various parameters affect. Poorly selected SmartBeacon parameters can
        increase the traffic load on a channel rather than decrease it as
        SmartBeaconing was designed.

        If you are going to turn SmartBeaconing off, and as you say, you only
        drive for 2 minutes down the road, you will probably select a fairly
        short position reporting interval, so you will show where you were
        when you started your vehicle, and possibly get another report out
        before you park. You'll probably also want to leave the tracker on, so
        that your vehicle will show up where it is parked, rather than where
        it was when it last sent a position report before it was turned off.
        This situation is bad, as you will most likely end up sending position
        reports from a parked vehicle at an unreasonably rapid rate, clogging
        the APRS network with redundant data.

        I'd suggest leaving SmartBeaconing turned on, and leaving the tracker
        powered up. SmartBeaconing will automatically work to make your
        tracker as network friendly as possible.

        Add an APO3 to the mix, and have your tracker automatically power down
        after being parked for a set time, or when it senses that your battery
        voltage level is getting low.