Re: [tracker2] performance compared to d700?

  • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2008
      > > Is the OT2m better able to decode aprs packets than the
      > > d700? Or am I looking at the effects of using a dual band
      > > antenna (eg, compromises to support 2 bands)?
      >
      > Are the antenna gain figures the same? Are they at the same physical
      > height? Are the feed line losses identical? Are the receiver
      > sensitivities the same?
      >
      > Like Jason says, you need to remove all the variables, and simply feed
      > the audio to the two units. I might have to do that here for fun.
      > Running the D700 and D710 in the same vehicle for a while, I noticed
      > that they didn't always hear the same stations. The simple difference
      > of one antenna being 4 feet further back on the roof of the van made a
      > bit of difference on the signal path, and possibly the reflections.

      > Feeding the same audio streams to both decoders will let you make
      > comparisons between the decoding hardware without worrying about other
      > variables.

      Not really. The D700 use flat discriminator audio. "Standard" (what
      ever that is) 1200 baud ax25 packet has the standard audio
      pre/de-empasis... I would expect the D7wuds to be better with other
      similar rigs while speaker audio should be better with their similar
      rigs.

      FWIW - flat audio is better, but standard is better then better...

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2008
        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

        > The D700 use flat discriminator audio.

        In 9600 baud mode... In a D700 to D700 system, you could call that "flat".

        The D700's in 1200 baud mode use preemphasized/deemphasized audio,
        which again can be called "flat".

        If you are pulling 1200 baud audio directly from the discriminator
        audio, it should have 6 db per octave preemphasis which was added at
        the transmitter. You need to undo what was done at the transmitter to
        get back to a "flat" response.

        > "Standard" (what
        > ever that is) 1200 baud ax25 packet has the standard audio
        > pre/de-empasis...

        I'll agree with that definition, which means that you have to inject
        audio before the preemphasis filter in the transmitter, and pull it
        out after the deemphasis filter in the receiver. Doing one, and not
        the other leads to tinny sounding audio with preemphasis left in
        place, or muddy sounding audio with high end roll off due to extra
        deemphasis.

        > I would expect the D7wuds to be better with other
        > similar rigs while speaker audio should be better with their similar
        > rigs.

        Well, according to the D700 service manual, 1200 bps packet signals
        are directed to IC801, the mic amp, which in turn is fed to Q801 and
        Q802, the preemphasis circuit. 9600 bps packet signals are injected
        into IC802, the tone amp, which bypasses the preemphasis circuit.

        On reception, deemphasized audio is sent to the PR1 pin, while PR9
        will have audio that is not deemphasized.

        The built-in TNC has it's own deemphasis circuit, and is fed
        non-deemphasized audio. Buffer circuits through Q5 or Q6 are selected
        based on whether the TNC is in 1200 or 9600 mode.

        Now the question that I can't find an answer to in the service manual,
        is whether you can have a signal available at PR1, and have the
        internal TNC enabled at the same time. The cross point switch IC702
        might not be able to be configured that way. I haven't played enough.

        > FWIW - flat audio is better, but standard is better then better...

        Depending on your definition of flat audio, and what it is you are
        trying to do. 1200 baud should make use of the preemphasis and
        deemphasis circuits, while 9600 baud should be injected after
        preemphasis, and picked off before deemphasis. Both of these scenarios
        see a flat frequency response, it's only when you mix and (mis)match
        where you start seeing problems.