T2-135 Profile Swtichng

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
      Just an observation... my brother just got a T2-135 and programmed it
      with his callsign in profile 1 and connected it to a WS-2310. However,
      he later witnessed it sending something out as NOCALL while we were
      doing some trouble-shooting. I suggested that he go into the profile
      switching and remove the checkmarks for changing profiles based on the
      jumpers. It still had the default callsign of NOCALL in profile 2, but
      he later copied the settings in profile 1 over to profile 2 so his
      callsign would be in there "just in case" but as mentioned, he also
      removed the two jumper checkmarks.

      Scott - this might be a non-issue, but even though it shouldn't have
      gone over to profile 2 unless the jumper was ON, is there any chance a
      T2-135 could accidentally end over on profile 2 based on a non-existent
      jumper? We were doing some trouble-shooting at the time with a terminal
      program running, so there's always the possibility that he had typed
      "config 2" but didn't think that he had. However, with that said, would
      it be a good idea for you change the default settings so the "jumper on"
      and "jumper off" weren't enabled by default?

      Also, would there be enough code space to prevent it from ever
      beaconing with a call of NOCALL?

      While I'm at it, could the default setting of RELAY be removed from
      ALIAS 1?

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
        At 08:03 PM 4/29/2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
        >It still had the default callsign of NOCALL in profile 2, but
        >he later copied the settings in profile 1 over to profile 2 so his
        >callsign would be in there "just in case" but as mentioned, he also
        >removed the two jumper checkmarks.

        I have had to make profile 1 and 2 the same on my T2-135. I don't do
        profile switching, so this has not been a problem. I have never been
        able to figure out how to explain what is happening. The autobaud
        routines are frustrating enough, so I haven't fought the profile
        battle too much.

        73,
        Mark N5RFX
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
          > Scott - this might be a non-issue, but even though it shouldn't have
          > gone over to profile 2 unless the jumper was ON, is there any chance a
          > T2-135 could accidentally end over on profile 2 based on a non-existent
          > jumper? We were doing some trouble-shooting at the time with a terminal

          It's not actually non-existent, it's one of the handshaking lines on the
          DB9. When you plug it in to a PC, it'll switch profiles. That's not
          supposed to be the default as-shipped any more, though - it's damned
          confusing if you're not expecting it. The advantage is that you can
          (for example) have the port switch to KISS mode whenever it's plugged
          into a PC, but do something else the rest of the time.

          > it be a good idea for you change the default settings so the "jumper on"
          > and "jumper off" weren't enabled by default?

          I did, but it might have gotten un-done when I made the latest firmware
          image for burning the T2-135 boards.

          > Also, would there be enough code space to prevent it from ever
          > beaconing with a call of NOCALL?

          I'd rather not, since it's useful for troubleshooting. The units also
          get tested with no call programmed, but that could be avoided with a
          more elaborate test script.

          > While I'm at it, could the default setting of RELAY be removed from
          > ALIAS 1?

          Yes, that was supposed to be changed a long time ago. There are
          hard-coded defaults in the source code, and those are the ones you get
          if you erase and reload. But that's not necessarily what gets burned in
          initially - there's a different firmware image prepared that contains
          the firmware, configuration, and bootloader all in one. It's probably
          time for a complete review of those images to check the validity of all
          of the settings.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
            See my post about the handshaking line / jumper thing.

            AUTOBAUD's always been somewhat experimental. The problem is that it
            switches only when it detects 'noise' or framing errors, beyond a
            certain threshold in a given amount of time. If you're sending it a
            single character (like a carriage return) it can get stuck in the wrong
            baud rate if the combination of the character being sent and the rate
            it's being sent at doesn't result in enough errors.

            It's reasonably good at locking on (sooner or later) to steady data
            streams like a Peet Bros station or a GPS receiver, which makes it
            useful for switching back and forth between two devices like that.

            Scott

            Mark Miller wrote:

            > At 08:03 PM 4/29/2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
            > >It still had the default callsign of NOCALL in profile 2, but
            > >he later copied the settings in profile 1 over to profile 2 so his
            > >callsign would be in there "just in case" but as mentioned, he also
            > >removed the two jumper checkmarks.
            >
            > I have had to make profile 1 and 2 the same on my T2-135. I don't do
            > profile switching, so this has not been a problem. I have never been
            > able to figure out how to explain what is happening. The autobaud
            > routines are frustrating enough, so I haven't fought the profile
            > battle too much.
            >
            > 73,
            > Mark N5RFX

          • Mark Miller
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2008
              At 10:35 PM 4/30/2008, Scott Miller wrote:

              >It's not actually non-existent, it's one of the handshaking lines on the
              >DB9. When you plug it in to a PC, it'll switch profiles.

              Ahh yes now I see the connection. I probably would not have figured
              that out. Thanks for the autobaud explanation too.

              73,
              Mark N5RFX