Tracker2 and 1-wire inquiry

  • jjbauerly
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13, 2008
      Hello all;

      I am trying to put together an inexpensive APRS wx setup. I have been
      looking into using my currnet Tracker2 and an Aagelectronics $80.00
      setup. Does this feed directly into the tracker2 or will I need more
      hardare in between?
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
        The Tracker2 supports the standard AAG TAI-8515 station (and optionally
        a humidity sensor) directly - you can plug it in with just a 2-wire
        telephone cord. For a 2-wire cord, make sure you leave the little
        loopback plug installed in the unused jack on the wind instrument.

        I'm working on a wind, temperature, and rain sensor assembly myself, but
        I won't have anything ready until probably late summer. Depends on
        whether I wait to fill up a whole container with a couple of other
        things or ship it by LCL freight earlier.

        Scott

        jjbauerly wrote:

        > Hello all;
        >
        > I am trying to put together an inexpensive APRS wx setup. I have been
        > looking into using my currnet Tracker2 and an Aagelectronics $80.00
        > setup. Does this feed directly into the tracker2 or will I need more
        > hardare in between?

      • Christopher Snell
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
          Is there any way to hook a temperature probe up to the Tracker2? I'm
          wanting to measure air temperature outside of my weather balloon.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
            Yeah, you can turn on 1WIREWX and hook a DS18S20 up to the front-panel
            accessory jack. You just need the 1-wire bus and ground hooked up.
            It'll report as an APRS weather packet.

            Or you can put one or more LM335Z's on the extra ADC inputs on the
            internal header and decode the telemetry yourself...

            Scott

            Christopher Snell wrote:

            > Is there any way to hook a temperature probe up to the Tracker2? I'm
            > wanting to measure air temperature outside of my weather balloon.
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
            > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
            > > The Tracker2 supports the standard AAG TAI-8515 station (and optionally
            > > a humidity sensor) directly - you can plug it in with just a 2-wire
            > > telephone cord. For a 2-wire cord, make sure you leave the little
            > > loopback plug installed in the unused jack on the wind instrument.
            > >
            > > I'm working on a wind, temperature, and rain sensor assembly myself, but
            > > I won't have anything ready until probably late summer. Depends on
            > > whether I wait to fill up a whole container with a couple of other
            > > things or ship it by LCL freight earlier.
            > >
            > > Scott
            > >

            > > jjbauerly wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hello all;
            > > >
            > > > I am trying to put together an inexpensive APRS wx setup. I have been
            > > > looking into using my currnet Tracker2 and an Aagelectronics $80.00
            > > > setup. Does this feed directly into the tracker2 or will I need more
            > > > hardare in between?

          • Christopher Snell
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
              Awesome. Will the Tracker2 handle telemetry more than one DS18S20
              hooked up through a single 1-wire bus?

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
                Not presently. It'll just read whichever one has the lowest ID number.
                The code is there to read specific devices, but you'd need to store
                the IDs. I'm trying to come up with a good way to do that in the
                scripting language I'm working on.

                Scott

                Christopher Snell wrote:

                > Awesome. Will the Tracker2 handle telemetry more than one DS18S20
                > hooked up through a single 1-wire bus?
                >
                > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                > > Yeah, you can turn on 1WIREWX and hook a DS18S20 up to the front-panel
                > > accessory jack. You just need the 1-wire bus and ground hooked up.
                > > It'll report as an APRS weather packet.
                > >
                > > Or you can put one or more LM335Z's on the extra ADC inputs on the
                > > internal header and decode the telemetry yourself...
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >

                > > Christopher Snell wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Is there any way to hook a temperature probe up to the Tracker2? I'm
                > > > wanting to measure air temperature outside of my weather balloon.
                > > >
                > > > Chris
                > > >
                > > > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>

                > optionally

                > myself, but

                > have been
                > more

              • Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 14, 2008
                  Scott N1VG wrote...

                  > Or you can put one or more LM335Z's on the extra ADC inputs
                  > on the internal header and decode the telemetry yourself...

                  What would be the best way to connect to one of the ADC inputs... short
                  of soldering right onto the pin? Is there a standard connector that will
                  allow a connection to be added and easily removed?

                  73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 16, 2008
                    Yeah, it's just a standard 2-row 0.1" pin header. You can get all sorts
                    of IDC receptacles and things that'll work with it.

                    Scott

                    Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                    > Scott N1VG wrote...
                    >
                    > > Or you can put one or more LM335Z's on the extra ADC inputs
                    > > on the internal header and decode the telemetry yourself...
                    >
                    > What would be the best way to connect to one of the ADC inputs... short
                    > of soldering right onto the pin? Is there a standard connector that will
                    > allow a connection to be added and easily removed?
                    >
                    > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 16, 2008
                      Scott N1VG wrote...

                      > Yeah, it's just a standard 2-row 0.1" pin header. You can get
                      > all sorts of IDC receptacles and things that'll work with it.

                      Thanks for the info - I should be able to find one.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH