Nuvi/APRS messages, suggestion

  • Steven Palm
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 7, 2008
      Hi All,

      Still digging into all that is APRS, and it's capabilities beyond
      watching positions update on maps.

      I see the following commands:

      ?APRS? Queries all stations (respond in 2 mins)

      ?APRS?LLLLLL,OOOOOO,RRRR Queries a radius around a LAT/LONG point If
      RRR is less than 8 then respond immediately

      ?WX? Queries all WX stations

      W3ABC____:?APRS? Queries just W3ABC (all of his data)

      W3ABC____:?APRSP Queries for W3ABC's Posit

      W3ABC____:?APRSS Queries for W3ABC's Status

      W3ABC____:?APRSM Queries for W3ABC's messages

      W3ABC____:?APRSO Queries for W3ABC's Objects

      W3ABC____:?APRSD Queries for stations heard DIRECT by W3ABC

      W3ABC____:?APRSH W4XYZ Queries to see if W3ABC has heard W4XYZ W3ABC
      sends back a packet with W4XYZ as an OBJ and sends back a message with
      the number of packets heard per hour from him.

      Are these capable of being sent via the Nüvi 350 and Tracker2? I'd
      imagine the later ones, addressed to a particular station, are not a
      problem, but what of the generic ?APRS? message? Does the Nüvi/FMI
      interface allow for unproto messages?

      Also, to see what is there, it might be useful if you could tell the
      Tracker2 to start sending all received packets as messages to the Nüvi
      so you could see what it was grabbing, or at least maybe something
      like "the next xxx packets" so it wouldn't go into a loop you couldn't
      get out of from the Nüvi iteself.

      Thanks,
      Steve
    • Curt, WE7U
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
        Please read it today. It won't make any sense tomorrow or later:

        http://xkcd.com/

        --
        Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
          You can use this link later...

          http://xkcd.com/407/

          And actually, I was thinking of doing something like that! =]

          I was watching 'No Country for Old Men' the other day, and the (very
          creepy, captive bolt pistol-weilding) bad guy has this retro-looking
          tracking receiver, and it occurred to me that it wouldn't be hard to
          build one that'd be useful for geocaching and such. Maybe this summer
          I'll put one together if I have time.

          Rather than cold, warm, or hot, I think I'll have a knob to select range
          scales in feet, yards, rods, furlongs, miles, and leagues. And maybe
          chains.

          Maybe someone with more artistic ability can do a steampunk version. =]

          Scott

          Curt, WE7U wrote:

          > Please read it today. It won't make any sense tomorrow or later:
          >
          > http://xkcd.com/ <http://xkcd.com/>
          >
          > --
          > Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          > http://www.eskimo.com/~archer <http://www.eskimo.com/~archer>
          > Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown
          > Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U.
          > The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!"

        • Patrick
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
            http://xkcd.com/407/

            though this link will. lol.

            Patrick

            On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:48:20 -0700 (PDT), Curt, WE7U wrote

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
              On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Curt, WE7U <archer@...> wrote:

              > Please read it today. It won't make any sense tomorrow or later:
              >
              > http://xkcd.com/

              Actually I'm partial to the one from yesterday!

              http://xkcd.com/406/

            • Steven Palm
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
                At least post a new thread and don't hijaack a valid thread. Now I'll
                never get an answer. :(

                Really, I have a sense of humor, but start a new thread, don't hijaack
                a serious one.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
                  > Are these capable of being sent via the Nüvi 350 and Tracker2? I'd
                  > imagine the later ones, addressed to a particular station, are not a
                  > problem, but what of the generic ?APRS? message? Does the Nüvi/FMI
                  > interface allow for unproto messages?

                  Sort of. You should be able to use the BEACON command. Something like:

                  --BEACON ?APRS?

                  Might do it.

                  > Also, to see what is there, it might be useful if you could tell the
                  > Tracker2 to start sending all received packets as messages to the Nüvi
                  > so you could see what it was grabbing, or at least maybe something
                  > like "the next xxx packets" so it wouldn't go into a loop you couldn't
                  > get out of from the Nüvi iteself.

                  Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I'll put it on my list of things to try.

                  Scott
                • Curt, WE7U
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
                    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Steven Palm wrote:

                    > At least post a new thread and don't hijaack a valid thread. Now I'll
                    > never get an answer. :(
                    >
                    > Really, I have a sense of humor, but start a new thread, don't hijaack
                    > a serious one.

                    I changed the subject line which is enough for anyone to
                    differentiate between the two threads. I took the easy way out to
                    send to the list: Replied to a previous thread then deleted the
                    subject and body. Sorry if that wasn't enough for you but I've not
                    had anyone mention that before so didn't even think about threading
                    e-mail clients putting the two together. I don't typically run in
                    threaded mode (PINE on Linux).

                    If it's any consolation, you're welcome to do the same on the Xastir
                    list to one or more of my threads. ;-)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 8, 2008
                      On Apr 8, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
                      > If it's any consolation, you're welcome to do the same on the Xastir
                      > list to one or more of my threads. ;-)

                      Thanks, Curt, been looking at Xastir, may take you up on that. :)

                      Not a problem, I'm actually surprised these days when people even
                      know that threaded clients based on headers outside of the subject
                      line exist. I should know better than to post anything when I've been
                      having an irritable day. Thanks for being kind in your reply.

                      And, Scott answered my original query, so I'm happier than a pig in
                      slop. :) (Although not the most appropriate metaphor for my feelings,
                      you get the point. LoL)

                      Steve
                    • Clay Jackson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 13, 2008
                        Hi, Scott -

                        Just tried my Nuvi 350 this weekend with the T2-135; and had no luck!
                        When I connect up the cable, I get a double beep out of the Nuvi, but
                        it doesn't show the Fleet Managament menu or do anything at all
                        differently.

                        I loaded the latest Beta Firmware from the groups - when I loaded it
                        up, I noticed that the version that OTWINCFG reported was different
                        from the version label on the file; could that have been a problem?

                        I've tried the same setup on two different T2-135s - I only have one
                        Nuvi right now. I've checked the physical interface, and it looks
                        good (2 yellow, 3 white, black 5), and both the A and B ports are in
                        Garmin mode.

                        Help?

                        Thanks!

                        Clay
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 14, 2008
                          I certainly hope I didn't get the files mixed up - I'll check this
                          afternoon when I get a chance. Lost power for about 3 hours and
                          Internet for about 12 yesterday (right in the middle of filing taxes!)
                          and I'm trying to get caught up.

                          For the T2-135, remember that it's wired opposite how the OT2m is
                          configured - pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

                          Scott

                          Clay Jackson wrote:

                          > Hi, Scott -
                          >
                          > Just tried my Nuvi 350 this weekend with the T2-135; and had no luck!
                          > When I connect up the cable, I get a double beep out of the Nuvi, but
                          > it doesn't show the Fleet Managament menu or do anything at all
                          > differently.
                          >
                          > I loaded the latest Beta Firmware from the groups - when I loaded it
                          > up, I noticed that the version that OTWINCFG reported was different
                          > from the version label on the file; could that have been a problem?
                          >
                          > I've tried the same setup on two different T2-135s - I only have one
                          > Nuvi right now. I've checked the physical interface, and it looks
                          > good (2 yellow, 3 white, black 5), and both the A and B ports are in
                          > Garmin mode.
                          >
                          > Help?
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Clay

                        • Clay Jackson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 14, 2008
                            OK - bingo! Crossed wires!

                            I'm heating up the soldering iron now!

                            Clay
                            =======
                            On Apr 14, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

                            > I certainly hope I didn't get the files mixed up - I'll check this
                            > afternoon when I get a chance. Lost power for about 3 hours and
                            > Internet for about 12 yesterday (right in the middle of filing taxes!)
                            > and I'm trying to get caught up.
                            >
                            > For the T2-135, remember that it's wired opposite how the OT2m is
                            > configured - pins 2 and 3 are reversed.
                            >
                            > Scott
                            >
                            > Clay Jackson wrote:
                            >>

                            >> Hi, Scott -
                            >>
                            >> Just tried my Nuvi 350 this weekend with the T2-135; and had no luck!
                            >> When I connect up the cable, I get a double beep out of the Nuvi, but
                            >> it doesn't show the Fleet Managament menu or do anything at all
                            >> differently.
                            >>
                            >> I loaded the latest Beta Firmware from the groups - when I loaded it
                            >> up, I noticed that the version that OTWINCFG reported was different
                            >> from the version label on the file; could that have been a problem?
                            >>
                            >> I've tried the same setup on two different T2-135s - I only have one
                            >> Nuvi right now. I've checked the physical interface, and it looks
                            >> good (2 yellow, 3 white, black 5), and both the A and B ports are in
                            >> Garmin mode.
                            >>
                            >> Help?
                            >>
                            >> Thanks!
                            >>
                            >> Clay

                          • Clay Jackson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 14, 2008
                              As the soldering iron cools - that was the problem! I'm now in
                              dispatch and a happy camper!

                              Thanks!

                              Clay
                              N7QNM