A/D inputs

  • Sean Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2008
      I'm looking at using a tracker 2 for our club's next repeater site.
      It's a very remote site (2 hours north of Peace River Ab) so I want
      it to have telemetry from it.

      What I'm looking for is the following:
      Analog
      -Supply voltage
      -temp inside shack
      -temp outside shack

      Digital
      -1 input to indicate wether commerial power is connected or not. I
      usually use a wall wort to give me this signal.

      And have all of the above in a standard telemetry packet.

      Also the ability to turn off the voice repeater package remotly by
      switching a relay.

      From what I've read the supply voltage and inside temp should be no
      problem. I can't seem to find documentation about other telemetry
      inputs.

      Thanks
      Sean
    • Joel Maslak
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2008
        On Apr 7, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Sean Smith wrote:
        > I'm looking at using a tracker 2 for our club's next repeater site.
        > It's a very remote site (2 hours north of Peace River Ab) so I want
        > it to have telemetry from it.
        >
        > What I'm looking for is the following:
        > Analog
        > -Supply voltage
        > -temp inside shack
        > -temp outside shack
        >
        > Digital
        > -1 input to indicate wether commerial power is connected or not. I
        > usually use a wall wort to give me this signal.

        I'm working on all of these with an OT1+, but should be the same as
        the T2. It can do this. (I'm doing this in an RV, but need exactly
        the same telemetry).

        As for the commercial power, I believe there is enough A/D inputs to
        actually use a non-regulated wall-wart (maybe with some overvoltage
        protection) and send the actual line voltage out, rather than just
        "on/off". I'm thinking of finding a step-down transformer somewhere
        in the 3-4 volt range for that, without any regulator built into it.
      • Christopher Snell
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2008
          I'm also very interested in these metrics. I plan on sending a T2 up
          with my weather balloon and I'd like a simple way to gather these and
          send them back in a packet.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
            What voltage range will the A/D inputs handle?

            The internal voltage / Temp readings what postions are they located
            in in a telemetry packet? I've got a couple perl scripts I'm playing
            with to display the telemetry on a web page.

            Also can the the inputs be calibrated? ie using a LM335 temp sensor.

            Sean

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
              ADCs are 0-5 volts. The internal sensor can be calibrated with a simple
              offset. For an external sensor, it's going to return a raw ADC reading.
              The sequence of the telemetry values should be in the OT2m manual.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 11 , May 25 11:43 AM
                Hi Scott,

                I've finally got time to work with the two Tracker2s I ordered a
                while back, I'm wondering where I hook up my exteral ADC's I'm
                assuming it's some where on the twin rows of 16 pads at the front of
                the unit. Couldn't find any thing in the manual or the schematics
                that are online.

                Configuring the units was a dream very straight forward, almost like
                they were designed to be user friendly....

                Sean

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
                  I missed this before... here's the pinout for the 16 pads at the front,
                  starting at the 'M' in MON08:

                  1 - PTB7/T2CH1 (digital I/O or timer channel)
                  2 - GND
                  3 - PTB5/T1CH1
                  4 - Reset
                  5 - No connection
                  6 - IRQ (counter/transmit-now input)
                  7 - No connection
                  8 - PTA3/ADC3 (digital I/O or ADC input)
                  9 - No connection
                  10 - PTA0/ADC0
                  11 - No connection
                  12 - PTA2/ADC2
                  13 - Clock oscillator (32.768 kHz)
                  14 - PTA1/ADC1
                  15 - +5V
                  16 - PTB0 (digital I/O)

                  ADC0 and ADC1 are reported in the standard telemetry string.

                  Scott

                  Sean Smith wrote:

                  > Hi Scott,
                  >
                  > I've finally got time to work with the two Tracker2s I ordered a
                  > while back, I'm wondering where I hook up my exteral ADC's I'm
                  > assuming it's some where on the twin rows of 16 pads at the front of
                  > the unit. Couldn't find any thing in the manual or the schematics
                  > that are online.
                  >
                  > Configuring the units was a dream very straight forward, almost like
                  > they were designed to be user friendly....
                  >
                  > Sean

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ADCs are 0-5 volts. The internal sensor can be calibrated with a
                  > simple
                  > > offset. For an external sensor, it's going to return a raw ADC
                  > reading.
                  > > The sequence of the telemetry values should be in the OT2m manual.
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > Sean Smith wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > What voltage range will the A/D inputs handle?
                  > > >
                  > > > The internal voltage / Temp readings what postions are they
                  > located
                  > > > in in a telemetry packet? I've got a couple perl scripts I'm
                  > playing
                  > > > with to display the telemetry on a web page.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also can the the inputs be calibrated? ie using a LM335 temp
                  > sensor.
                  > > >
                  > > > Sean
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <mailto:tracker2%
                  > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > > site.
                  > > > want

                  > not. I

                  > same
                  > > > as
                  > > > exactly

                  > inputs
                  > > > overvoltage
                  > just
                  > > > somewhere
                  > into it.

                • oe3mzc
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14 11:36 PM
                    Scott,
                    I could not get ADC1 beeing reported. In some earlier documentation I found the standard telemetry packet of OT2m mentioned to be
                    >T#,internalTemperature,SupplyVoltage,ADC0_Pin10,COUNTER_Pin6,HDOP_GPS,000000,Jumper,Profile

                    For a ballon project it would be highly appreciable to have aconfiguartion utility in order to be able to select which ADCs or bits are reported in telemtry. This feature would add much functionality to OT1plus and OT2m.

                    tnx
                    vy 73 de Mike
                    oe3mzc

                    > I missed this before... here's the pinout for the 16 pads at the front,
                    > starting at the 'M' in MON08:
                    >
                    > 1 - PTB7/T2CH1 (digital I/O or timer channel)
                    > 2 - GND
                    > 3 - PTB5/T1CH1
                    > 4 - Reset
                    > 5 - No connection
                    > 6 - IRQ (counter/transmit-now input)
                    > 7 - No connection
                    > 8 - PTA3/ADC3 (digital I/O or ADC input)
                    > 9 - No connection
                    > 10 - PTA0/ADC0
                    > 11 - No connection
                    > 12 - PTA2/ADC2
                    > 13 - Clock oscillator (32.768 kHz)
                    > 14 - PTA1/ADC1
                    > 15 - +5V
                    > 16 - PTB0 (digital I/O)
                    >
                    > ADC0 and ADC1 are reported in the standard telemetry string.
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >
                    > Sean Smith wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi Scott,
                    > >
                    > > I've finally got time to work with the two Tracker2s I ordered a
                    > > while back, I'm wondering where I hook up my exteral ADC's I'm
                    > > assuming it's some where on the twin rows of 16 pads at the front of
                    > > the unit. Couldn't find any thing in the manual or the schematics
                    > > that are online.
                    > >
                    > > Configuring the units was a dream very straight forward, almost like
                    > > they were designed to be user friendly....
                    > >
                    > > Sean

                    > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > ADCs are 0-5 volts. The internal sensor can be calibrated with a
                    > > simple
                    > > > offset. For an external sensor, it's going to return a raw ADC
                    > > reading.
                    > > > The sequence of the telemetry values should be in the OT2m manual.
                    > > >
                    > > > Scott

                    > > located
                    > > playing

                    > > sensor.

                    > > <mailto:tracker2%
                    > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                    > > not. I

                    > > same

                    > > inputs
                    > > just
                    > > into it.

                  • ki6tsf
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 7, 2009
                      Hi,

                      Is there a way to read(/write) to those from the OT2 scripting language?

                      Thanks and 73,

                      Bernard KI6TSF

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 8, 2009
                        Not all of them are general purpose I/O lines. Anything that starts
                        with 'PT' is, though. You *can* control them through the scripting
                        language, but it requires using the POKE command and looking up the
                        addresses in the MC908AP64 data sheet. Also, the LCD code will be
                        trying to control 6 of those lines.

                        Scott

                        ki6tsf wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Is there a way to read(/write) to those from the OT2 scripting language?
                        >
                        > Thanks and 73,
                        >
                        > Bernard KI6TSF

                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I missed this before... here's the pinout for the 16 pads at the front,
                        > > starting at the 'M' in MON08:
                        > >
                        > > 1 - PTB7/T2CH1 (digital I/O or timer channel)
                        > > 2 - GND
                        > > 3 - PTB5/T1CH1
                        > > 4 - Reset
                        > > 5 - No connection
                        > > 6 - IRQ (counter/transmit-now input)
                        > > 7 - No connection
                        > > 8 - PTA3/ADC3 (digital I/O or ADC input)
                        > > 9 - No connection
                        > > 10 - PTA0/ADC0
                        > > 11 - No connection
                        > > 12 - PTA2/ADC2
                        > > 13 - Clock oscillator (32.768 kHz)
                        > > 14 - PTA1/ADC1
                        > > 15 - +5V
                        > > 16 - PTB0 (digital I/O)
                        > >
                        > > ADC0 and ADC1 are reported in the standard telemetry string.
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > >
                        > > Sean Smith wrote:
                        > > >

                        > > > Hi Scott,
                        > > >
                        > > > I've finally got time to work with the two Tracker2s I ordered a
                        > > > while back, I'm wondering where I hook up my exteral ADC's I'm
                        > > > assuming it's some where on the twin rows of 16 pads at the front of
                        > > > the unit. Couldn't find any thing in the manual or the schematics
                        > > > that are online.
                        > > >
                        > > > Configuring the units was a dream very straight forward, almost like
                        > > > they were designed to be user friendly....
                        > > >
                        > > > Sean
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > simple
                        > > > reading.

                        > > > located
                        > > > playing

                        > > > sensor.

                        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > <mailto:tracker2%
                        > > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > > not. I

                        > > > same

                        > > > inputs
                        > > > just
                        > > > into it.

                      • Mike Zwingl oe3mzc
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 25, 2009
                          >> > ADC0 and ADC1 are reported in the standard telemetry string.

                          I think this is NOT correct.
                          The standard telemtry string of an OT2M looks like this:
                          T# internalTemp,Voltage,ADC0,COUNT,HDOP, 0,0,0,0,0,0,JUMPER,PROFILE

                          Unfortunately it only reports one ADC line and COUNTER from the M08
                          connector.
                          There should be a file in the files/picture section describing details.
                          For weather stations and telemetry applications it would be much better to
                          have more and selectable analogue ADC-I/O lines available.
                          However, you could use an OT1+ or OT1SMT...

                          vy 73 de Mike
                          oe3mzc