Serial Cable Length Between Nuvi & OT2m?

  • Mike Wren
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
      Good Sunday morning everyone - I'm planning on taking advantage of the
      decent weather today and doing a more permanent install of the Nuvi
      350 and OT2m in my vehicle.

      To do so, the Nuvi will be on my dash, and the OT2m and radio will be
      hidden in a rear quarter pannel of my RAV4. To do so, I'll obviously
      need to add an extension to the Garmin FMI cable.

      I'll be using unshielded Cat5e cable. What is the maximum cable length
      I can use before I have to start worrying about RFI, etc. The run
      will be no more than 10', but if anyone has already tried this and it
      hasn't worked, it will save me a few hours this afternoon.

      Thanks!

      Mike Wren
      N2QDK
      Albany, NY
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
        Isn't the stock cable about 10' long? In any case, I'm assuming you've
        already figured out that it won't reach for your installation if you're
        splicing it.

        Stay on the pigtail side of the converter circuit lump, and you should
        be fine. It's got an RS232 transceiver in there, and it's just 9600
        baud. The RS232 spec says 2500 pF max, so for UTP CAT-5 that's like 147
        feet. At 9600 baud, you could probably run at least twice that.

        Scott

        Mike Wren wrote:

        > Good Sunday morning everyone - I'm planning on taking advantage of the
        > decent weather today and doing a more permanent install of the Nuvi
        > 350 and OT2m in my vehicle.
        >
        > To do so, the Nuvi will be on my dash, and the OT2m and radio will be
        > hidden in a rear quarter pannel of my RAV4. To do so, I'll obviously
        > need to add an extension to the Garmin FMI cable.
        >
        > I'll be using unshielded Cat5e cable. What is the maximum cable length
        > I can use before I have to start worrying about RFI, etc. The run
        > will be no more than 10', but if anyone has already tried this and it
        > hasn't worked, it will save me a few hours this afternoon.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Mike Wren
        > N2QDK
        > Albany, NY

      • Mike Wren
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
          Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'd like to add a 10'
          section of cat5e with a set of db9's and sleeves, rather than hacking
          up the factory cable. Yes, the factory cable is quite long, but not
          quite enough.

          I assume adding the db9's won't make a difference vs. splicing the
          factory cable.

          MW

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
            Yeah, that should be fine.

            Prior to my Nuvi, I just used an off-the-shelf serial cable
            (male-female) run into my trunk for the GPSmap 60CS.

            Scott

            (I think I've been programming too much this weekend - I ended that
            sentence with a semicolon the first time around!)