Re: 5v and LaCrosse 2310

  • Mike Wren
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
      It alternates, one each second. I'll check out the link and try to
      make some sense of it.

      MW

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 8, 2008
        I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they connected
        the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
        of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
        it a high reference.

        Scott

        Mike Wren wrote:

        > Yes and yes. I don't have a Y serial cable yet, it's running serial
        > right in using the factory WS2310 RJ14 to DB9.
        >
        > I've verified that pin 4 is ground, and cycled the power on both the
        > OT2m and the WS2310.
        >
        > Any other ideas?
        >
        > MW

        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Yeah, it should blink every time it gets a valid fix.
        > >
        > > Are you using port A? Try forcing the baud rate to 2400 and set
        > > AUTOBAUD OFF.
        > >
        > > Scott

      • Mike Wren
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
          Based on a previous email, I was under the impression that pin 4 was
          the common ground.

          You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the tracker (which is
          jumpered internally for ground)?

          MW

          > I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they
          connected
          > the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
          > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
          > it a high reference.
        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
            Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
            corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
            on the board).
            But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
            the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
            did).

            So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
            connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
            Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.

            The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
            2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
            board).

            de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

            --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

            > Based on a previous email, I was under the
            > impression that pin 4 was
            > the common ground.
            >
            > You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the
            > tracker (which is
            > jumpered internally for ground)?
            >

            > MW
            >

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller
            > <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just heard from someone else that got it
            > working, after they
            > connected
            > > the weather station and tracker to a common
            > ground. Do you have pin 7
            > > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the
            > tracker? That should give
            > > it a high reference.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mike Wren
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
              I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to ground on the T2
              board.

              So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common ground, things
              *should* be working, but they're not.

              I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that caused the 2310 to
              stop receiving weather data from the sensors.

              I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't work either.
              Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

              MW

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
              <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

              > Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
              > corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
              > on the board).
              > But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
              > the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
              > did).
              >
              > So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
              > connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
              > Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.
              >
              > The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
              > 2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
              > board).
            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                > I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to
                > ground on the T2
                > board.

                Ah, thanks. It's been a bit long that I can't recall
                the original poster.

                > So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common
                > ground, things
                > *should* be working, but they're not.

                I would suggest to go to the typical setup. Put on
                Jumper on "5" (that makes Pin 4 as 5V source).
                Then build a short patch cable.

                > I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that
                > caused the 2310 to
                > stop receiving weather data from the sensors.
                >
                > I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't
                > work either.
                > Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

                The patch cable has the following pin-out (this one
                works on mine):
                2 - 2 data to radio
                3 - 3 commands to WS2300
                4 - 7 (5V, high reference)
                5 - 4 (GND, low reference)

                left is T2 side, and right is WS2300 side (a WS2317u
                that I got from Sam's Club).

                Let me know if that helps,

                73 de Paulus - N5SNN

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                  I wish I could find the cable I built for testing so I could confirm
                  this.. the pinout I worked from is this:

                  ---

                  RS232 Wire Colour Function
                  Pin 2 RXD Orange wire Receive data from WS2300
                  Pin 3 TXD Green wire Transmit data to WS2300
                  Pin 4 DTR White wire Signal from PC to WS2300
                  Pin 7 RTS Blue wire Signal from PC to WS2300

                  Note:

                  There is no ground connection.

                  DTR and RTS are not used for handshake. They are steady DTR at negative
                  voltage and RTS at positive voltage.

                  Since there is no ground it seems that the WS2300 uses the DTR and RTS
                  to define high and low. DTR must be low and RTS must be high for the
                  communication to work.

                  ---

                  So from that it sounds like pin 7 (RTS) needs a high level, and the best
                  place to get that is going to be pin 4 (GPS power out).

                  Scott