OT2m corrupting waypoint names

  • dondorgram
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
      On Monday, I updated all 4 of OT2s with the FMI beta (I took my
      OT2ProtoC out of my vehicle to do it - sigh). I usually have them all
      chugging away including the ones in vehicles. I have my two ProtoCs
      hooked up to a Garmin GPSMAP60 and a Nuvi350, and similarly my two
      OT2ms to one of each so I can see how they operate. All seemed to work
      OK until last night when I noticed that my two OT2ms seemed to be
      spewing out waypoints en masse to their respective units. Instead of
      the call sign, the OT2ms were labelling the waypoints with other parts
      of the GPS sentence including a chunk of the text message. As well
      there were numerous duplicate waypoints.

      My two protoC's, which I updated at the same time seemd to be OK.

      I reloaded the firmware in the OT2ms and they once again worked fine.

      As this is a beta version, I want to mention this glitch in case others
      have encountered it. There used to be some instabilities in the
      firmwear previously (inadvertantly jumping out of Garmin mode), but
      that seemed to have been corrected. Has another instability crept in?

      Graham VE6GW
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008
        That's a weird one - but it corrected itself when you reloaded the
        firmware? With the same version?

        Scott

        dondorgram wrote:

        > On Monday, I updated all 4 of OT2s with the FMI beta (I took my
        > OT2ProtoC out of my vehicle to do it - sigh). I usually have them all
        > chugging away including the ones in vehicles. I have my two ProtoCs
        > hooked up to a Garmin GPSMAP60 and a Nuvi350, and similarly my two
        > OT2ms to one of each so I can see how they operate. All seemed to work
        > OK until last night when I noticed that my two OT2ms seemed to be
        > spewing out waypoints en masse to their respective units. Instead of
        > the call sign, the OT2ms were labelling the waypoints with other parts
        > of the GPS sentence including a chunk of the text message. As well
        > there were numerous duplicate waypoints.
        >
        > My two protoC's, which I updated at the same time seemd to be OK.
        >
        > I reloaded the firmware in the OT2ms and they once again worked fine.
        >
        > As this is a beta version, I want to mention this glitch in case others
        > have encountered it. There used to be some instabilities in the
        > firmwear previously (inadvertantly jumping out of Garmin mode), but
        > that seemed to have been corrected. Has another instability crept in?
        >
        > Graham VE6GW

      • dondorgram
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2008
          Just thought I'd mention that this has not been repeated, so might
          have just been one of those little gremlins that creep in from time
          to time. And yes the firmware was the same beta version (unless you
          did a tweek in between;<))

          However to follow up on some of the recent "Newbie" postings, I
          noticed that with the OT2m and Nuvi350 in my vehicle, I have had a
          few duplicates appear over the last month of use. Thus an extra -1
          or -2 has been tacked to the Callsign-SSID. These were obviously
          aberrations (possibly caused by having a bit of noise on system while
          receiving?) but one can go in to edit mode and delete them
          individually. But it is a bit anoying when one wants to delete
          multiple waypoints (oops - "favorites" in Nuvispeak) without messing
          up rest of settings.