Re: [tracker2] Re: 5v and LaCrosse 2310

  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
      Mike,

      When I was figuring out the hookup to my 2317 to
      T2-135 last year, I used a really nifty program called
      Realterm.
      This program can do port spying, so I solder 2 wires
      from my laptop's serial port (RX, and ground) to the
      patch cable that I made to hook 2317 to the DB9 on the
      back of the DR135 radio.

      Then set the port speed to 2400 bps, and set to watch
      4-bit nibbles. You'll see the T2-135 periodically
      polling the 2317 (if you solder the RX of spying cable
      to Pin 3 on the DB9 of DR135), and the returning data
      (you solder the RX spying cable to Pin 2).

      I'm not sure if you want to do this detail.

      BTW: did you wait long enough before trying another
      hookup? It takes a while for the complete data to come
      in, and ready when queried thru WXINFO
      You'll chase your own tail if you don't wait long
      enough.

      73 de Paulus - N5SNN

      --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

      > Good thought, but no dice. Swapped pins 2 and 3,
      > and 4 and 7 are
      > straight through.
      >

      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono
      > Adisoemarta"
      > >
      > > How about swap pin 2 and 3?

    • Mike Wren
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
        Based on Paulus' suggestion, wired up a patch cable so I'm now easily
        able to easily listen to serial data using RealTerm.

        This is my first time trying this type of stuff, but my technical
        troubleshooting logic is usually pretty solid, but still, I apologize
        in advance if my methodology is flawed.

        OT2m Configuration:
        amode WS2310
        abaud 2400
        Running firmware build 54479
        Using standard RJ14 > DB9 that came with the WS2310 to connect WS2310
        to OT2m, but using my own cable to sniff data. All pins are wired
        straight through.

        When connected to JUST the WS2310, nothing is heard on pins 2 or 3,
        even on hardware startup.

        Then, I tried the OT2m alone, without the WS2310 connected. I can hear
        the OT2m sending 00000110 once every two seconds on pin 3. I presume
        this is the WS2310 polling/querying for the (unconnected) WS2310.

        When I add the WS2310 into the mix, nothing changes. Still 00000110
        once every two seconds on pin 3. No activity on pins 2 or 7.

        I then connected the serial cable to another PC running Heavy Weather
        software. When this software is NOT connected to the WS2310,
        alternating 00000110 10000010 is heard every second on pin 3. Nothing
        is heard on pin 2, even on software startup.

        With the PC running Heavy Weather software CONNECTED to WS2310, pin 3
        showed lots of data in spurts. When listening to pin 2, alternating
        00000010 00000000 is sent, every second.

        Based on the above, is it possible that the OT2m is not sending the
        correct query/polling info to my WS2310?

        Again, most of this stuff is way over my head, sorry if I'm missing
        anything obvious.

        Mike Wren
        N2QDK
        Albany, NY

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
          The 0x06 (00000110) is a reset command. I don't know what 0x82 would
          be. Does it send the two together, or does it alternate between them
          every second?

          Here's what I worked from when writing the WS2300 interface code:

          http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Open2300/OpenWSAPI

          I don't see any mention of a 0x82 command.

          I'll have to hook up my station again when I get a chance and check out
          the code. At the moment I'm desperately trying to get stuff ready for
          Dayton - everything's got to be ordered soon to be ready in time.

          Scott

          Mike Wren wrote:

          > Based on Paulus' suggestion, wired up a patch cable so I'm now easily
          > able to easily listen to serial data using RealTerm.
          >
          > This is my first time trying this type of stuff, but my technical
          > troubleshooting logic is usually pretty solid, but still, I apologize
          > in advance if my methodology is flawed.
          >
          > OT2m Configuration:
          > amode WS2310
          > abaud 2400
          > Running firmware build 54479
          > Using standard RJ14 > DB9 that came with the WS2310 to connect WS2310
          > to OT2m, but using my own cable to sniff data. All pins are wired
          > straight through.
          >
          > When connected to JUST the WS2310, nothing is heard on pins 2 or 3,
          > even on hardware startup.
          >
          > Then, I tried the OT2m alone, without the WS2310 connected. I can hear
          > the OT2m sending 00000110 once every two seconds on pin 3. I presume
          > this is the WS2310 polling/querying for the (unconnected) WS2310.
          >
          > When I add the WS2310 into the mix, nothing changes. Still 00000110
          > once every two seconds on pin 3. No activity on pins 2 or 7.
          >
          > I then connected the serial cable to another PC running Heavy Weather
          > software. When this software is NOT connected to the WS2310,
          > alternating 00000110 10000010 is heard every second on pin 3. Nothing
          > is heard on pin 2, even on software startup.
          >
          > With the PC running Heavy Weather software CONNECTED to WS2310, pin 3
          > showed lots of data in spurts. When listening to pin 2, alternating
          > 00000010 00000000 is sent, every second.
          >
          > Based on the above, is it possible that the OT2m is not sending the
          > correct query/polling info to my WS2310?
          >
          > Again, most of this stuff is way over my head, sorry if I'm missing
          > anything obvious.
          >
          > Mike Wren
          > N2QDK
          > Albany, NY
          >
          > <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Mike,
          > >
          > > When I was figuring out the hookup to my 2317 to
          > > T2-135 last year, I used a really nifty program called
          > > Realterm.
          > > This program can do port spying, so I solder 2 wires
          > > from my laptop's serial port (RX, and ground) to the
          > > patch cable that I made to hook 2317 to the DB9 on the
          > > back of the DR135 radio.
          > >
          > > Then set the port speed to 2400 bps, and set to watch
          > > 4-bit nibbles. You'll see the T2-135 periodically
          > > polling the 2317 (if you solder the RX of spying cable
          > > to Pin 3 on the DB9 of DR135), and the returning data
          > > (you solder the RX spying cable to Pin 2).
          > >
          > > I'm not sure if you want to do this detail.
          > >
          > > BTW: did you wait long enough before trying another
          > > hookup? It takes a while for the complete data to come
          > > in, and ready when queried thru WXINFO
          > > You'll chase your own tail if you don't wait long
          > > enough.
          > >
          > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN

        • Mike Wren
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
            It alternates, one each second. I'll check out the link and try to
            make some sense of it.

            MW

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 8, 2008
              I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they connected
              the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
              of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
              it a high reference.

              Scott

              Mike Wren wrote:

              > Yes and yes. I don't have a Y serial cable yet, it's running serial
              > right in using the factory WS2310 RJ14 to DB9.
              >
              > I've verified that pin 4 is ground, and cycled the power on both the
              > OT2m and the WS2310.
              >
              > Any other ideas?
              >
              > MW

              > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yeah, it should blink every time it gets a valid fix.
              > >
              > > Are you using port A? Try forcing the baud rate to 2400 and set
              > > AUTOBAUD OFF.
              > >
              > > Scott

            • Mike Wren
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                Based on a previous email, I was under the impression that pin 4 was
                the common ground.

                You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the tracker (which is
                jumpered internally for ground)?

                MW

                > I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they
                connected
                > the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
                > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
                > it a high reference.
              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
                  corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
                  on the board).
                  But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
                  the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
                  did).

                  So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
                  connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
                  Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.

                  The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
                  2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
                  board).

                  de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                  --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                  > Based on a previous email, I was under the
                  > impression that pin 4 was
                  > the common ground.
                  >
                  > You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the
                  > tracker (which is
                  > jumpered internally for ground)?
                  >

                  > MW
                  >

                  > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller
                  > <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just heard from someone else that got it
                  > working, after they
                  > connected
                  > > the weather station and tracker to a common
                  > ground. Do you have pin 7
                  > > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the
                  > tracker? That should give
                  > > it a high reference.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Mike Wren
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                    I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to ground on the T2
                    board.

                    So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common ground, things
                    *should* be working, but they're not.

                    I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that caused the 2310 to
                    stop receiving weather data from the sensors.

                    I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't work either.
                    Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

                    MW

                    <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

                    > Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
                    > corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
                    > on the board).
                    > But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
                    > the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
                    > did).
                    >
                    > So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
                    > connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
                    > Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.
                    >
                    > The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
                    > 2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
                    > board).
                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                      --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                      > I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to
                      > ground on the T2
                      > board.

                      Ah, thanks. It's been a bit long that I can't recall
                      the original poster.

                      > So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common
                      > ground, things
                      > *should* be working, but they're not.

                      I would suggest to go to the typical setup. Put on
                      Jumper on "5" (that makes Pin 4 as 5V source).
                      Then build a short patch cable.

                      > I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that
                      > caused the 2310 to
                      > stop receiving weather data from the sensors.
                      >
                      > I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't
                      > work either.
                      > Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

                      The patch cable has the following pin-out (this one
                      works on mine):
                      2 - 2 data to radio
                      3 - 3 commands to WS2300
                      4 - 7 (5V, high reference)
                      5 - 4 (GND, low reference)

                      left is T2 side, and right is WS2300 side (a WS2317u
                      that I got from Sam's Club).

                      Let me know if that helps,

                      73 de Paulus - N5SNN

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                        I wish I could find the cable I built for testing so I could confirm
                        this.. the pinout I worked from is this:

                        ---

                        RS232 Wire Colour Function
                        Pin 2 RXD Orange wire Receive data from WS2300
                        Pin 3 TXD Green wire Transmit data to WS2300
                        Pin 4 DTR White wire Signal from PC to WS2300
                        Pin 7 RTS Blue wire Signal from PC to WS2300

                        Note:

                        There is no ground connection.

                        DTR and RTS are not used for handshake. They are steady DTR at negative
                        voltage and RTS at positive voltage.

                        Since there is no ground it seems that the WS2300 uses the DTR and RTS
                        to define high and low. DTR must be low and RTS must be high for the
                        communication to work.

                        ---

                        So from that it sounds like pin 7 (RTS) needs a high level, and the best
                        place to get that is going to be pin 4 (GPS power out).

                        Scott