T2 beta firmware updated

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2008
      I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI support.
      There are some major changes in serial data handling, so it'll need
      more testing before I make it the official release.

      FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text message now. I
      had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for some reason
      the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to message
      queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.

      Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.

      Scott
    • Mike Wren
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 30, 2008
        Thanks, Scott! Just got back from a weekend in the NYC metro area
        with friends, and the combo of Nuvi 350 and OT2m is amazingly simple
        easy to use!

        A few screengrabs from the 350:

        Just loaded the new firmware and all looks good.

        Mike Wren
        N2QDK

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2008
          Nice! Now I just need to figure out the symbol mappings so the cars
          look like cars and not repair shops!

          Scott

          Mike Wren wrote:

          > Thanks, Scott! Just got back from a weekend in the NYC metro area
          > with friends, and the combo of Nuvi 350 and OT2m is amazingly simple
          > easy to use!
          >
          > A few screengrabs from the 350:

          > Just loaded the new firmware and all looks good.
          >
          > Mike Wren
          > N2QDK

          > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI support.
          > > There are some major changes in serial data handling, so it'll need
          > > more testing before I make it the official release.
          > >
          > > FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text message now. I
          > > had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for some reason
          > > the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to message
          > > queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.
          > >
          > > Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.
          > >
          > > Scott

        • Lyle Tanner
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2008
            So far so good on the new firmware. I forgot to manually set serial
            port A to Garmin and my Nuvi 350 wouldn't detect it (flashing cable
            icon in top right corner). I can't remember if this is the desired
            result or not. However, once I set the serial port to Garmin mode,
            all was well.

            Will try messages tomorrow. Noticed that commands have the new format
            of "--" instead of "!".

            A useful feature would be the ability to create command shortcuts or
            scripts for frequently used comments. For example, it would be very
            handy to have several slots to store a comment value in (maybe 4).

            For example, I could set comment fields as follows:
            1.) Monitoring 146.520
            2.) Active on 442.800+ 100Hz
            3.) null
            etc...

            Then, a shortcut could be used to set the comment field. Maybe
            something like "--c2" would set the comment field to match the value
            in field 2.

            Unfortunately, my programming experience started and ended with
            introduction to Java. I would imagine that it would probably make
            more sense to implement this on the user interface device (Nuvi 350)
            than in the Tracker2, but getting new features added to a Garmin
            product is fairly unlikely. :(

            As always, great work!

            > I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI support.
            > There are some major changes in serial data handling, so it'll need
            > more testing before I make it the official release.
            >
            > FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text message now. I
            > had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for some reason
            > the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to message
            > queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.
            >
            > Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.
            >
            > Scott

          • dondorgram
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
              Scott:

              I know you don't like putting the beta versions on the argentdata
              website, but it would really help those of us who have the T2
              installed in vehicle to do the updates. We can't always connect to
              the web to download when we are on the road. Even at home, I would
              have to configure a wireless network, which I tried to avoid by hard
              wiring my house. Or I suppose I could run 100 ft of 5e to the
              garage! Anyway, could you post it with the appropriate warnings?

              Another simple request. I was just doing the updating on my other
              units and really appreciate having the dates posted with the
              firmware. Could you date the otwincfg.exe file as well? I believe
              the last update was in January, but I'm not sure.

              And yes, having the vehicle icon repaired would be great!

              Graham VE6GW

              > Nice! Now I just need to figure out the symbol mappings so the
              cars
              > look like cars and not repair shops!
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > Mike Wren wrote:
              > >

              > > Thanks, Scott! Just got back from a weekend in the NYC metro area
              > > with friends, and the combo of Nuvi 350 and OT2m is amazingly
              simple
              > > easy to use!
              > >
              > > A few screengrabs from the 350:

              > > Just loaded the new firmware and all looks good.
              > >
              > > Mike Wren
              > > N2QDK
              > >
              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%
              40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI
              support.
              > > > There are some major changes in serial data handling, so it'll
              need
              > > > more testing before I make it the official release.
              > > >
              > > > FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text
              message now. I
              > > > had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for
              some reason
              > > > the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to
              message
              > > > queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.
              > > >
              > > > Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.
              > > >
              > > > Scott

            • Mike Wren
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                I second showing the firmware release dates in the web updater in otwincfg!

                --
                Mike Wren
                Albany, NY
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                  At 04:15 PM 3/31/2008, dondorgram wrote:
                  >...but it would really help those of us who have the T2 installed in
                  >vehicle to do the updates. We can't always connect to the web to
                  >download when we are on the road. Even at home, I would have to
                  >configure a wireless network, which I tried to avoid by hard wiring
                  >my house. Or I suppose I could run 100 ft of 5e to the garage!

                  Graham, I made this exact same argument back in October. Same logic
                  about not wanting to remove the DR-135 with T2-135 from the vehicle
                  to do updates, same logic about avoiding wireless networking, same
                  logic about running CAT5 out to the garage. Uncanny.

                  I am highly in favor of a method for downloading firmware to the
                  laptop while in the house, then carrying the laptop out to the car,
                  and then loading the firmware in the T2.

                  Bob...
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                    Let me see if I can write a script to parse out the firmware description
                    file and serve it up as a web page. That'll save me the trouble of
                    modifying the website every time a firmware update is posted.

                    Scott

                    Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

                    > At 04:15 PM 3/31/2008, dondorgram wrote:
                    > >...but it would really help those of us who have the T2 installed in
                    > >vehicle to do the updates. We can't always connect to the web to
                    > >download when we are on the road. Even at home, I would have to
                    > >configure a wireless network, which I tried to avoid by hard wiring
                    > >my house. Or I suppose I could run 100 ft of 5e to the garage!
                    >
                    > Graham, I made this exact same argument back in October. Same logic
                    > about not wanting to remove the DR-135 with T2-135 from the vehicle
                    > to do updates, same logic about avoiding wireless networking, same
                    > logic about running CAT5 out to the garage. Uncanny.
                    >
                    > I am highly in favor of a method for downloading firmware to the
                    > laptop while in the house, then carrying the laptop out to the car,
                    > and then loading the firmware in the T2.
                    >
                    > Bob...

                  • Jason KG4WSV
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                      On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                      > Let me see if I can write a script to parse out the firmware description
                      > file and serve it up as a web page. That'll save me the trouble of
                      > modifying the website every time a firmware update is posted.

                      just allow directory reads, and dump it in a directory with no html index...

                      might be ugly, but quick and effective.

                      -Jason
                      kg4wsv
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                        Yeah, no descriptions or build numbers though.

                        Scott

                        Jason KG4WSV wrote:

                        > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                        > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                        > > Let me see if I can write a script to parse out the firmware description
                        > > file and serve it up as a web page. That'll save me the trouble of
                        > > modifying the website every time a firmware update is posted.
                        >
                        > just allow directory reads, and dump it in a directory with no html index...
                        >
                        > might be ugly, but quick and effective.
                        >
                        > -Jason
                        > kg4wsv

                      • Lyle Tanner
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                          change_log.txt :)

                          > Yeah, no descriptions or build numbers though.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          >
                          > Jason KG4WSV wrote:
                          > >

                          > > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                          > > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                          > > > Let me see if I can write a script to parse out the firmware
                          description
                          > > > file and serve it up as a web page. That'll save me the trouble of
                          > > > modifying the website every time a firmware update is posted.
                          > >
                          > > just allow directory reads, and dump it in a directory with no
                          html index...

                          > > might be ugly, but quick and effective.
                          > >
                          > > -Jason
                          > > kg4wsv

                        • Mike Wren
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                            Depends on how you file_name  ;)

                            Of course, I'm assuming your otconfig config grabs aren't based on filenames, since it seems rather cludgy to be grabbing a single filename.for an update rather than querying a version_numbe_filename (says a guy speaking from experience).

                            --
                            Mike Wren
                            Albany, NY
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 31, 2008
                              The config program grabs a listing file:

                              http://n1vg.net/opentracker/firmware/ap64/list.txt

                              That file specifies URIs for each firmware image. You can always look
                              at that file yourself to see what's there.

                              Scott

                              Mike Wren wrote:

                              > Depends on how you file_name ;)
                              >
                              > Of course, I'm assuming your otconfig config grabs aren't based on
                              > filenames, since it seems rather cludgy to be grabbing a single
                              > filename.for an update rather than querying a version_numbe_filename
                              > (says a guy speaking from experience).
                              >

                              > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:37 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                              > <mailto:scott@...>> wrote:
                              >
                              > Yeah, no descriptions or build numbers though.
                              >
                              > Scott
                              >

                              > Jason KG4WSV wrote:
                              > >

                              > > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...
                              > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>
                              > > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>>> wrote:
                              > > > Let me see if I can write a script to parse out the firmware
                              > description
                              > > > file and serve it up as a web page. That'll save me the trouble of
                              > > > modifying the website every time a firmware update is posted.
                              > >
                              > > just allow directory reads, and dump it in a directory with no
                              > html index...
                              > >
                              > > might be ugly, but quick and effective.
                              > >
                              > > -Jason
                              > > kg4wsv
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Mike Wren
                              > Albany, NY
                              > http://mikewren.com <http://mikewren.com>

                            • Alan
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                                I have the same issue with the serial port needing to be set to
                                Garmin. Auto does not work. Also something that I have noticed is
                                that when I use a Micro-Trak 300 it shows up on the Nuvi until it
                                makes it to a digipeater and shows up on aprs.fi. If I position the
                                antenna low in the room it will never make it to a digipeater. The
                                Tracker2 and the radio show Rx while it is transmitting but never
                                shows up on the Nuvi. Does this have something to do with the path
                                settings or someother setting?

                                Alan
                                KD5LUW

                                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle Tanner" <kc7ipy@...> wrote:

                                > So far so good on the new firmware. I forgot to manually set serial
                                > port A to Garmin and my Nuvi 350 wouldn't detect it (flashing cable
                                > icon in top right corner). I can't remember if this is the desired
                                > result or not. However, once I set the serial port to Garmin mode,
                                > all was well.
                                >
                                > Will try messages tomorrow. Noticed that commands have the new
                                format
                                > of "--" instead of "!".
                                >
                                > A useful feature would be the ability to create command shortcuts or
                                > scripts for frequently used comments. For example, it would be very
                                > handy to have several slots to store a comment value in (maybe 4).
                                >
                                > For example, I could set comment fields as follows:
                                > 1.) Monitoring 146.520
                                > 2.) Active on 442.800+ 100Hz
                                > 3.) null
                                > etc...
                                >
                                > Then, a shortcut could be used to set the comment field. Maybe
                                > something like "--c2" would set the comment field to match the value
                                > in field 2.
                                >
                                > Unfortunately, my programming experience started and ended with
                                > introduction to Java. I would imagine that it would probably make
                                > more sense to implement this on the user interface device (Nuvi 350)
                                > than in the Tracker2, but getting new features added to a Garmin
                                > product is fairly unlikely. :(
                                >
                                > As always, great work!

                                > > I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI
                                support.
                                > > There are some major changes in serial data handling, so it'll
                                need
                                > > more testing before I make it the official release.
                                > >
                                > > FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text message
                                now. I
                                > > had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for some
                                reason
                                > > the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to
                                message
                                > > queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.
                                > >
                                > > Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.
                                > >
                                > > Scott

                              • WILSON Jim
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                                  Hi,
                                  Anyone know what Australian Garmin versions work best with the T2?
                                  I don't think the 350 was ever released here. I can't find one with
                                  Australian maps at least.
                                  Thanks,
                                  Jim

                                  This email (including all attachments) may contain personal information and is intended solely for the named addressee. It is confidential and may be subject to legal or other professional privilege and any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you by mistake. This email is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. Any personal Information in this email must be handled in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). If you have received it in error, please let Stanwell Corporation Limited know by reply email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. Stanwell is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than those made by Stanwell. Stanwell accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, interference, interception, corruption or unauthorised access. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately. If this is a commercial electronic message within the meaning of the Spam Act 2003 (Cth), you may indicate that you do not wish to receive any further commercial electronic messages from Stanwell by emailing mailto:privacy@....
                                • Alan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                                    After watching the serial stream out of the A port while the Garmin
                                    is connected and working on the B port it seams that the only items
                                    that make it through the Tracker2 are ones that are repeated from a
                                    digipeater. Is there any way to configure it to directly receive
                                    from another station?

                                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <aland.slater@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > product is fairly unlikely. :(
                                    > >
                                    > > As always, great work!
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I just uploaded a new beta version of the T2 firmware with FMI
                                    > support.
                                    > > > There are some major changes in serial data handling, so
                                    it'll
                                    > need
                                    > > > more testing before I make it the official release.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > FMI should recover gracefully when the T2 misses a text message
                                    > now. I
                                    > > > had it checking the queue every few seconds anyway, but for
                                    some
                                    > reason
                                    > > > the Nuvi likes to send ETA notifications and won't respond to
                                    > message
                                    > > > queue packets until it gets the ETA acknowledged.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Duplicate messages should be eliminated, too.

                                  • Alan
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 9, 2008
                                      Does the digipeater part of the tracker2 work?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 12, 2008
                                        Yes, you have to set it to Garmin rather than Auto - it's got to send
                                        out commands to the GPS to start communications, and that would be a bad
                                        thing for it to do constantly in auto mode.

                                        Not sure I follow the problem with the Micro-Trak. You're saying that
                                        the T2 only receives it when it comes from a digipeater and not direct
                                        from the Micro-Trak?

                                        Scott

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 12, 2008
                                          If it's something local that you should be able to receive direct, then
                                          you should be able to see it. You might check the audio level from the
                                          receiver, or try running it open squelch in case your radio has a slow
                                          squelch and is missing the start of the packets.

                                          Scott

                                          Alan wrote:

                                          > After watching the serial stream out of the A port while the Garmin
                                          > is connected and working on the B port it seams that the only items
                                          > that make it through the Tracker2 are ones that are repeated from a
                                          > digipeater. Is there any way to configure it to directly receive
                                          > from another station?

                                          > "Alan" <aland.slater@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I have the same issue with the serial port needing to be set to
                                          > > Garmin. Auto does not work. Also something that I have noticed is
                                          > > that when I use a Micro-Trak 300 it shows up on the Nuvi until it
                                          > > makes it to a digipeater and shows up on aprs.fi. If I position
                                          > the
                                          > > antenna low in the room it will never make it to a digipeater. The
                                          > > Tracker2 and the radio show Rx while it is transmitting but never
                                          > > shows up on the Nuvi. Does this have something to do with the path
                                          > > settings or someother setting?
                                          > >
                                          > > Alan
                                          > > KD5LUW

                                          > "Lyle Tanner" <kc7ipy@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > So far so good on the new firmware. I forgot to manually set
                                          > serial
                                          > > > port A to Garmin and my Nuvi 350 wouldn't detect it (flashing
                                          > cable
                                          > > > icon in top right corner). I can't remember if this is the
                                          > desired
                                          > > > result or not. However, once I set the serial port to Garmin
                                          > mode,
                                          > > > all was well.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Will try messages tomorrow. Noticed that commands have the new
                                          > > format
                                          > > > of "--" instead of "!".
                                          > > >
                                          > > > A useful feature would be the ability to create command shortcuts
                                          > or
                                          > > > scripts for frequently used comments. For example, it would be
                                          > very
                                          > > > handy to have several slots to store a comment value in (maybe
                                          > 4).
                                          > > >
                                          > > > For example, I could set comment fields as follows:
                                          > > > 1.) Monitoring 146.520
                                          > > > 2.) Active on 442.800+ 100Hz
                                          > > > 3.) null
                                          > > > etc...
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Then, a shortcut could be used to set the comment field. Maybe
                                          > > > something like "--c2" would set the comment field to match the
                                          > value
                                          > > > in field 2.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Unfortunately, my programming experience started and ended with
                                          > > > introduction to Java. I would imagine that it would probably make
                                          > > > more sense to implement this on the user interface device (Nuvi
                                          > 350)
                                          > > > than in the Tracker2, but getting new features added to a Garmin
                                          > > > product is fairly unlikely. :(
                                          > > >
                                          > > > As always, great work!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                                          > > support.
                                          > it'll
                                          > > need

                                          > > now. I
                                          > some
                                          > > reason
                                          > > message

                                        • Alan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 12, 2008
                                            Scott,
                                            I will try running the radio open squelch. I e-mailed the owner of
                                            the digipeater that I am seeing most of the traffic from. He
                                            mentioned that I should try putting the station ID of the Tracker2
                                            into the path of the MicroTrak transmitter. So the path would be
                                            something like, "KD5LUW-5,WIDE2-2". I have not had a chance to try
                                            it yet, but I will give it a try.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Alan Slater
                                            KD5LUW