Q: Station ID when using Nüvi 350 & OT2m ?

  • Steven Palm
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
      Greetings all,

      I know this is not a tracker2 question specifically, but I'd love to
      hear your input on it.

      I seem to recall when researching what station ID to use on my station
      that a unique id was set aside for users of Kenwood radios, presumably
      to help them locate each other and realize that they could send/
      receive messages. Also, I think ARPSLINK altered it's formatting when
      sending messages to a Kenwood station.

      What is the accepted station ID combo (if there is one) that would
      best apply to running an OT2m with a Nüvi 350 (or HAMHUD I suppose?)
      where you can send/receive messages of decent size? Is it still just
      normal to use -9 for car/etc? No way to indicate "message capable",
      is there?

      To me, that would be one of the huge benefits of this integration as
      it would make knowing who is around and if it is worth your time to
      try to ping them with a hello, QSY request, etc...

      Thanks for your thoughts,
      Steve - N9YTY
    • Joe Krout
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
        I don't see much standardization here in Kansas City, in fact, I did not
        find any SSID guidelines on the local page
        http://cadigweb.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html I’ll have to ask the
        local gurus.

        I read a couple of places on the web that the primary reason for using
        -7 on Kenwood D7's was to indicate that the unit could handle short
        messages. I think that would be a valid ID for a NUVI, since the
        messaging capability is very similar. I don't recommend trying to type
        on the NUVI and drive at the same time. Makes text messaging on a
        mobile phone seem safe! You can identify your equipment in the status
        line of the config, and indicate that your are "messaging capable"

        I checked the APRS Yahoo group, http://APRS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        and made a couple of web searches, this is what I found.
        From Bob Bruninga, the father of APRS
        http://cadigweb.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
        2004 SSID Guidlines
        http://eng.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/SSIDs.txt
        -1, 2, 3, 4 are for digipeaters and other home stations

        -6 is for Operations via Satellite
        -7 is for TH-D7 walkie talkies
        -8 is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)
        -9 is for Mobiles
        -10 is for operation via The internet only
        -11 is for APRStouch-tone users (and the occasional Balloons)
        -14 is for Truckers
        -15 is for HF

        Current Austrialian guidelines
        Various sites http://www.aprs.net.au/aprs_ssid_guide.htm
        VK guide for APRS SSID use. thanks to Bob WB4APR and Richard VK3JFK

        -0 Home Station, Home Station running IGate.
        -1 Digipeater, Home Station running a Relay Digi, Wx Digipeater
        -2 Digipeater [#2 or] on 70CM
        -3 Digipeater [#3]
        -4 HF to VHF Gateway
        -5 IGate (Not home station) -6 is for Operations via Satellite
        -7 Kenwood D7 HH
        -8 is for boats, sailboats and ships (maybe 802.11 in the future)
        -9 is for Mobiles
        -10 is for operation via The internet only
        -11 is for APRStouch-tone users (and the occasional Balloons)
        -12 Portable Units such as Laptops, Camp Sites etc.
        -14 is for Truckers
        -15 is for HF

        I guess the next question is what symbol would be recommended for the
        NUVI/OTm2 combo? Has anyone cross referenced the Garmin symbols on the
        NUVI to the APRS standard icons? One of the shortcomings of the 350 is
        that Garmin's X-Image will not work with it, so you cannot upload custom
        symbols. Guess I should start a list of what features work and don't.
        Garmin's HQ is only 17.6 miles South(I checked the NUVI)from me, maybe I
        can find someone to visit with. I'll have to put a query out on the
        local e-mail reflector and see what happens.

        Well those are my thoughts, and you are welcome to them.

        Joe
        W0PWJ

      • Joe Krout
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
          Oops, its late.
          The local KC link is http://www.kcaprs.org/

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
            On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Steven Palm <n9yty@...> wrote:

            > I seem to recall when researching what station ID to use on my station
            > that a unique id was set aside for users of Kenwood radios, presumably
            > to help them locate each other and realize that they could send/
            > receive messages.

            I think using an SSID to identify what the station capabilities are is
            a stupid concept. 17 years ago when the SSID was the only way to set
            an icon with the station it made sense. There are many more ways to do
            so now.

            If I have 8 stations that I want to run (house, laptop {running
            Xastir}, work monitoring station, HT, car, truck, motorbike, and
            motorhome), try fitting those into the predefined SSID guides. Hmm,
            forgot to mention that I fly high altitude balloon payloads, and have
            a couple digipeaters out there as well... No problem on the
            digipeaters though, we use tactical calls for the digipeaters as it is
            much more informative than government assigned callsigns.

            Put a short note in the status line if you feel you need to.