5v and LaCrosse 2310

  • Mike Wren
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 16, 2008
      Good Sunday morning group,

      I've purchased a LaCrosse 2310 and am anxiously awaiting the next run
      of T2's to arrive. I have a couple of questions about interfacing.

      Am I correct in assuming the 2310 can talk to the T2 using the RJ14 to
      DB9 included with the 2310?

      Also, the 2310/T2 combo will be installed at a cabin in the
      Adirondacks where solar is the only option for power. On my bench, the
      2310 powers up with only 5 volts (even though it is happier with 6v).
      The lower voltage doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of any of the
      sensors. What would be my best bet for tapping 5v off the T2, the
      rear serial, or front accessory jack?

      Thanks! It's absolutely amazing to me that collecting and sending
      weather variables from this location (all while acting as a digi) can
      be done for well under 100mA.

      --
      Mike Wren
      Albany, NY
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 16, 2008
        --- Mike Wren <mikewren76@...> wrote:

        > Good Sunday morning group,

        > Am I correct in assuming the 2310 can talk to the T2
        > using the RJ14 to
        > DB9 included with the 2310?

        I assume what you meant with T2 is the OT2m external
        unit (if a T2-135 then the answer would be different).

        You can use the DB9 cable that comes with the 2310,
        but unfortunately ground for the 2310 is on Pin 4. So
        you need to create a short patch cable to hook to pin
        5 on the T2 box
        The rest is 2 to 2 and 3 to 3, for data from WS and to
        WS, respectively.

        > ... What would be my best bet for tapping 5v
        > off the T2, the
        > rear serial, or front accessory jack?

        Pin 4 on the DB9 rear serial of the OT2m can have 5v
        out, just place a jumper on 5.

        So pin 4 to pin 7 on the WS side, for feeding 5v
        power.

        Hope that helps,

        Paulus - N5SNN

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Mike Wren
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 16, 2008
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
          <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

          > I assume what you meant with T2 is the OT2m external
          > unit (if a T2-135 then the answer would be different).

          Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear. OT2m is correct.

          > Pin 4 on the DB9 rear serial of the OT2m can have 5v
          > out, just place a jumper on 5.
          >
          > So pin 4 to pin 7 on the WS side, for feeding 5v
          > power.

          Fantastic, this info will save me a bunch of time, thank you!
        • Joe Krout
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 16, 2008
            Warning Warning Will Robinson!!

            Pin 4 on the OT2m DOES have VOLTAGE on it! It is set for +5 volts by
            default or +12 volts by internal jumper (See page 6 and 7 of the
            manual.) Not sure what happens if you remove the jumper.

            Joe
            W0PWJ

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 16, 2008
              Pin 4 is connected to the jumper in the OT2m marked '*', between '5' and
              '12'. You can connect it to the pin marked 'G' if you need it grounded.

              I'm going to have to hook up my WS2310 again and document my setup.

              Scott

              P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

              > --- Mike Wren <mikewren76@... <mailto:mikewren76%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > Good Sunday morning group,

              > > Am I correct in assuming the 2310 can talk to the T2
              > > using the RJ14 to
              > > DB9 included with the 2310?
              >
              > I assume what you meant with T2 is the OT2m external
              > unit (if a T2-135 then the answer would be different).
              >
              > You can use the DB9 cable that comes with the 2310,
              > but unfortunately ground for the 2310 is on Pin 4. So
              > you need to create a short patch cable to hook to pin
              > 5 on the T2 box
              > The rest is 2 to 2 and 3 to 3, for data from WS and to
              > WS, respectively.
              >
              > > ... What would be my best bet for tapping 5v
              > > off the T2, the
              > > rear serial, or front accessory jack?
              >
              > Pin 4 on the DB9 rear serial of the OT2m can have 5v
              > out, just place a jumper on 5.
              >
              > So pin 4 to pin 7 on the WS side, for feeding 5v
              > power.
              >
              > Hope that helps,
              >
              > Paulus - N5SNN

              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs <http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

            • Mike Wren
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 30, 2008
                Any luck in documenting your WS2310 setup with the OT2m?

                I created short jumper to ground pin 4, but they're still not talking.

                Does the ACT light on the OT2m flash when connected to the WS2310
                (similar to when talking to the Nuvi 350)?

                I'm not sure of the next steps in troubleshoot. Running wxinfo
                returns nothing.

                Mike Wren
                N2QDK

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Yeah, it should blink every time it gets a valid fix.

                  Are you using port A? Try forcing the baud rate to 2400 and set
                  AUTOBAUD OFF.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Yes and yes. I don't have a Y serial cable yet, it's running serial
                    right in using the factory WS2310 RJ14 to DB9.

                    I've verified that pin 4 is ground, and cycled the power on both the
                    OT2m and the WS2310.

                    Any other ideas?

                    MW

                    > Yeah, it should blink every time it gets a valid fix.
                    >
                    > Are you using port A? Try forcing the baud rate to 2400 and set
                    > AUTOBAUD OFF.
                    >
                    > Scott
                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 1, 2008
                      --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                      > Yes and yes. I don't have a Y serial cable yet,
                      > it's running serial
                      > right in using the factory WS2310 RJ14 to DB9.
                      >
                      > I've verified that pin 4 is ground, and cycled the
                      > power on both the
                      > OT2m and the WS2310.
                      >
                      > Any other ideas?

                      How about swap pin 2 and 3?

                      de Paulus - N5SNN

                    • Mike Wren
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Good thought, but no dice. Swapped pins 2 and 3, and 4 and 7 are
                        straight through.

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"

                        > How about swap pin 2 and 3?
                      • Mike Wren
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                          > How about swap pin 2 and 3?

                          With pins 2 and 3 swapped, my 2310 couldn't receive sensor data on the
                          other RJ14. Once the crossover was removed, external sensor data
                          started coming in again.
                        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2008
                            Mike,

                            When I was figuring out the hookup to my 2317 to
                            T2-135 last year, I used a really nifty program called
                            Realterm.
                            This program can do port spying, so I solder 2 wires
                            from my laptop's serial port (RX, and ground) to the
                            patch cable that I made to hook 2317 to the DB9 on the
                            back of the DR135 radio.

                            Then set the port speed to 2400 bps, and set to watch
                            4-bit nibbles. You'll see the T2-135 periodically
                            polling the 2317 (if you solder the RX of spying cable
                            to Pin 3 on the DB9 of DR135), and the returning data
                            (you solder the RX spying cable to Pin 2).

                            I'm not sure if you want to do this detail.

                            BTW: did you wait long enough before trying another
                            hookup? It takes a while for the complete data to come
                            in, and ready when queried thru WXINFO
                            You'll chase your own tail if you don't wait long
                            enough.

                            73 de Paulus - N5SNN

                            --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                            > Good thought, but no dice. Swapped pins 2 and 3,
                            > and 4 and 7 are
                            > straight through.
                            >

                            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono
                            > Adisoemarta"
                            > >
                            > > How about swap pin 2 and 3?

                          • Mike Wren
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Based on Paulus' suggestion, wired up a patch cable so I'm now easily
                              able to easily listen to serial data using RealTerm.

                              This is my first time trying this type of stuff, but my technical
                              troubleshooting logic is usually pretty solid, but still, I apologize
                              in advance if my methodology is flawed.

                              OT2m Configuration:
                              amode WS2310
                              abaud 2400
                              Running firmware build 54479
                              Using standard RJ14 > DB9 that came with the WS2310 to connect WS2310
                              to OT2m, but using my own cable to sniff data. All pins are wired
                              straight through.

                              When connected to JUST the WS2310, nothing is heard on pins 2 or 3,
                              even on hardware startup.

                              Then, I tried the OT2m alone, without the WS2310 connected. I can hear
                              the OT2m sending 00000110 once every two seconds on pin 3. I presume
                              this is the WS2310 polling/querying for the (unconnected) WS2310.

                              When I add the WS2310 into the mix, nothing changes. Still 00000110
                              once every two seconds on pin 3. No activity on pins 2 or 7.

                              I then connected the serial cable to another PC running Heavy Weather
                              software. When this software is NOT connected to the WS2310,
                              alternating 00000110 10000010 is heard every second on pin 3. Nothing
                              is heard on pin 2, even on software startup.

                              With the PC running Heavy Weather software CONNECTED to WS2310, pin 3
                              showed lots of data in spurts. When listening to pin 2, alternating
                              00000010 00000000 is sent, every second.

                              Based on the above, is it possible that the OT2m is not sending the
                              correct query/polling info to my WS2310?

                              Again, most of this stuff is way over my head, sorry if I'm missing
                              anything obvious.

                              Mike Wren
                              N2QDK
                              Albany, NY

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
                                The 0x06 (00000110) is a reset command. I don't know what 0x82 would
                                be. Does it send the two together, or does it alternate between them
                                every second?

                                Here's what I worked from when writing the WS2300 interface code:

                                http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Open2300/OpenWSAPI

                                I don't see any mention of a 0x82 command.

                                I'll have to hook up my station again when I get a chance and check out
                                the code. At the moment I'm desperately trying to get stuff ready for
                                Dayton - everything's got to be ordered soon to be ready in time.

                                Scott

                                Mike Wren wrote:

                                > Based on Paulus' suggestion, wired up a patch cable so I'm now easily
                                > able to easily listen to serial data using RealTerm.
                                >
                                > This is my first time trying this type of stuff, but my technical
                                > troubleshooting logic is usually pretty solid, but still, I apologize
                                > in advance if my methodology is flawed.
                                >
                                > OT2m Configuration:
                                > amode WS2310
                                > abaud 2400
                                > Running firmware build 54479
                                > Using standard RJ14 > DB9 that came with the WS2310 to connect WS2310
                                > to OT2m, but using my own cable to sniff data. All pins are wired
                                > straight through.
                                >
                                > When connected to JUST the WS2310, nothing is heard on pins 2 or 3,
                                > even on hardware startup.
                                >
                                > Then, I tried the OT2m alone, without the WS2310 connected. I can hear
                                > the OT2m sending 00000110 once every two seconds on pin 3. I presume
                                > this is the WS2310 polling/querying for the (unconnected) WS2310.
                                >
                                > When I add the WS2310 into the mix, nothing changes. Still 00000110
                                > once every two seconds on pin 3. No activity on pins 2 or 7.
                                >
                                > I then connected the serial cable to another PC running Heavy Weather
                                > software. When this software is NOT connected to the WS2310,
                                > alternating 00000110 10000010 is heard every second on pin 3. Nothing
                                > is heard on pin 2, even on software startup.
                                >
                                > With the PC running Heavy Weather software CONNECTED to WS2310, pin 3
                                > showed lots of data in spurts. When listening to pin 2, alternating
                                > 00000010 00000000 is sent, every second.
                                >
                                > Based on the above, is it possible that the OT2m is not sending the
                                > correct query/polling info to my WS2310?
                                >
                                > Again, most of this stuff is way over my head, sorry if I'm missing
                                > anything obvious.
                                >
                                > Mike Wren
                                > N2QDK
                                > Albany, NY
                                >
                                > <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Mike,
                                > >
                                > > When I was figuring out the hookup to my 2317 to
                                > > T2-135 last year, I used a really nifty program called
                                > > Realterm.
                                > > This program can do port spying, so I solder 2 wires
                                > > from my laptop's serial port (RX, and ground) to the
                                > > patch cable that I made to hook 2317 to the DB9 on the
                                > > back of the DR135 radio.
                                > >
                                > > Then set the port speed to 2400 bps, and set to watch
                                > > 4-bit nibbles. You'll see the T2-135 periodically
                                > > polling the 2317 (if you solder the RX of spying cable
                                > > to Pin 3 on the DB9 of DR135), and the returning data
                                > > (you solder the RX spying cable to Pin 2).
                                > >
                                > > I'm not sure if you want to do this detail.
                                > >
                                > > BTW: did you wait long enough before trying another
                                > > hookup? It takes a while for the complete data to come
                                > > in, and ready when queried thru WXINFO
                                > > You'll chase your own tail if you don't wait long
                                > > enough.
                                > >
                                > > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN

                              • Mike Wren
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
                                  It alternates, one each second. I'll check out the link and try to
                                  make some sense of it.

                                  MW

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 8, 2008
                                    I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they connected
                                    the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
                                    of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
                                    it a high reference.

                                    Scott

                                    Mike Wren wrote:

                                    > Yes and yes. I don't have a Y serial cable yet, it's running serial
                                    > right in using the factory WS2310 RJ14 to DB9.
                                    >
                                    > I've verified that pin 4 is ground, and cycled the power on both the
                                    > OT2m and the WS2310.
                                    >
                                    > Any other ideas?
                                    >
                                    > MW

                                    > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Yeah, it should blink every time it gets a valid fix.
                                    > >
                                    > > Are you using port A? Try forcing the baud rate to 2400 and set
                                    > > AUTOBAUD OFF.
                                    > >
                                    > > Scott

                                  • Mike Wren
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                                      Based on a previous email, I was under the impression that pin 4 was
                                      the common ground.

                                      You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the tracker (which is
                                      jumpered internally for ground)?

                                      MW

                                      > I just heard from someone else that got it working, after they
                                      connected
                                      > the weather station and tracker to a common ground. Do you have pin 7
                                      > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the tracker? That should give
                                      > it a high reference.
                                    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                                        Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
                                        corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
                                        on the board).
                                        But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
                                        the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
                                        did).

                                        So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
                                        connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
                                        Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.

                                        The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
                                        2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
                                        board).

                                        de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                        --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                                        > Based on a previous email, I was under the
                                        > impression that pin 4 was
                                        > the common ground.
                                        >
                                        > You're saying pin 7 from the WS2310 to pin 4 on the
                                        > tracker (which is
                                        > jumpered internally for ground)?
                                        >

                                        > MW
                                        >

                                        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller
                                        > <scott@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I just heard from someone else that got it
                                        > working, after they
                                        > connected
                                        > > the weather station and tracker to a common
                                        > ground. Do you have pin 7
                                        > > of the weather station going to pin 4 on the
                                        > tracker? That should give
                                        > > it a high reference.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Mike Wren
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                                          I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to ground on the T2
                                          board.

                                          So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common ground, things
                                          *should* be working, but they're not.

                                          I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that caused the 2310 to
                                          stop receiving weather data from the sensors.

                                          I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't work either.
                                          Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

                                          MW

                                          <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

                                          > Pin 4 on the regular board is either 5v or Vcc,
                                          > corresponding to the jumper position (5 or 12 markings
                                          > on the board).
                                          > But you can make it a ground pin by a short jumper to
                                          > the GND pin on the board (which the original poster
                                          > did).
                                          >
                                          > So, the default Pin 4 on the T2 board is 5v, and thus
                                          > connect to pin 7 on the WS2300 for high reference.
                                          > Then Pin 5 to pin 4 on the WS2300 for ground.
                                          >
                                          > The rest is the 2 data lines (2 to 2, 3 to 3, or swap
                                          > 2 to 3, depending on whether internal or external
                                          > board).
                                        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                                            --- Mike Wren <mikewren@...> wrote:

                                            > I was the original poster and have pin 4 jumpered to
                                            > ground on the T2
                                            > board.

                                            Ah, thanks. It's been a bit long that I can't recall
                                            the original poster.

                                            > So as I'm reading it, since I pin 4 is the common
                                            > ground, things
                                            > *should* be working, but they're not.

                                            I would suggest to go to the typical setup. Put on
                                            Jumper on "5" (that makes Pin 4 as 5V source).
                                            Then build a short patch cable.

                                            > I previous tried crossing pins 2 and 3, but that
                                            > caused the 2310 to
                                            > stop receiving weather data from the sensors.
                                            >
                                            > I just tried crossing pings 4 and 7 and that didn't
                                            > work either.
                                            > Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm out of ideas.

                                            The patch cable has the following pin-out (this one
                                            works on mine):
                                            2 - 2 data to radio
                                            3 - 3 commands to WS2300
                                            4 - 7 (5V, high reference)
                                            5 - 4 (GND, low reference)

                                            left is T2 side, and right is WS2300 side (a WS2317u
                                            that I got from Sam's Club).

                                            Let me know if that helps,

                                            73 de Paulus - N5SNN

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 10, 2008
                                              I wish I could find the cable I built for testing so I could confirm
                                              this.. the pinout I worked from is this:

                                              ---

                                              RS232 Wire Colour Function
                                              Pin 2 RXD Orange wire Receive data from WS2300
                                              Pin 3 TXD Green wire Transmit data to WS2300
                                              Pin 4 DTR White wire Signal from PC to WS2300
                                              Pin 7 RTS Blue wire Signal from PC to WS2300

                                              Note:

                                              There is no ground connection.

                                              DTR and RTS are not used for handshake. They are steady DTR at negative
                                              voltage and RTS at positive voltage.

                                              Since there is no ground it seems that the WS2300 uses the DTR and RTS
                                              to define high and low. DTR must be low and RTS must be high for the
                                              communication to work.

                                              ---

                                              So from that it sounds like pin 7 (RTS) needs a high level, and the best
                                              place to get that is going to be pin 4 (GPS power out).

                                              Scott