Re: [tracker2] Newbie Questions

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2008
      > The objective is to be able to 'switch modes' of operations from time
      > to time.
      > 1 - Beacon only
      > 2 - Beacon & exchange messages via APRS
      > 3 - Beacon & see where others are in UI View, or other application.

      The easiest way to do this without switching the configuration around is
      probably to use the Y splitter cable. That way you can plug the GPS
      into one side and the PC into the other. As for exchanging messages, do
      you mean using the serial console, a program like UI-View, or a Garmin
      GPS in fleet management mode? The requirements are a little different
      for each.

      > I am curious to know where to obtain information on cable
      > configurations that I should be getting started on to interface this
      > unit with a Kenwood G707A or a Kenwood TM-V71A.

      Pinouts for the T2 are in the manual. You can also look up diagrams for
      the Kantronics KPC-3+ or the TinyTrak3, since the important signals are
      the same. I'm working on getting a complete library of diagrams
      together, but it'll be awhile still.

      Scott
    • bp_gay
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
        Hi Group,
        I am new to APRS and have been studying the theory/technology of
        trackers and was so excited to see the OT2 because I currently have a
        Garmin Nuvi 350. I was looking at purchasing the TT3 and a separate
        GPS receiver, but I am now seriously considering the OT2 (I really
        like that it will interface with my Nuvi and it is flash
        upgradeable/OSS). I have a couple questions about the Nuvi/OT2 interface.

        1. I usually power the Nuvi by my cig lighter. Will I still be able to
        do that since I will be using the port for the data cable?

        2. Is operation of the Nuvi the same as always except I will see other
        stations pop-up on the screen?

        3. Will I be able to see comments in the APRS data for the station or
        just the location? If so, how do you access the comments?

        4. I've read something about the stations that display on the Nuvi
        screen not going away even if they are old. Is that correct? How do
        they get cleared out?

        5. When firmware updates come out for the Nuvi, that should not break
        any functionality should it (is it firmware independent)?

        6. For those guys that have implemented this setup in your vehicle,
        would you recommend that I go with it or with my original idea of just
        having a basic tracker (TT3) with another GPS receiver? What do you
        like/dislike about the your setup?

        7. Sorry for all the questions. I will be ordering soon, and want to
        make the right decision. Is there a document that discusses my above
        questions about the Nuvi integration? I have read through the OT2 manual.

        Thanks for all your help!!

        Brent, KF4JZY
      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
          The OT series is superior, if for no other reason that they are open source.  IMO, that's more in line with the spirit of ham radio.

          The T2 or OT+ will plot waypoints on a mapping GPS, like the D7/700 will (or better, in the case of the T2 in Garmin mode).

          The waypoint database filling up is an issue no matter what device is populating it, so it's not really a T2 issue as much as a GPS issue.  Unfortunately the database manufacturers do things their own way for their own reasons, with little regard for more advanced operations/operators such as our APRS use of their systems.  There apparently aren't enough hams to make enough noise to turn this situation around.

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
            > operations/operators such as our APRS use of their systems. There
            > apparently aren't enough hams to make enough noise to turn this
            > situation around.

            Yeah, I just got an answer back from Garmin on the 'why can't you click
            on a waypoint to get details' question, and it's because they decided it
            was more important to let people set navigation destinations that way.
            All of the older devices would let you do it, but now you have to dig
            down into the POI menu to see waypoint/POI details.

            I can live with that, but I *really* want the waypoint creation/deletion
            protocol implemented properly!

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
              > 1. I usually power the Nuvi by my cig lighter. Will I still be able to
              > do that since I will be using the port for the data cable?

              Yes, and in fact it has to be externally powered for the serial
              interface to work. You connect the power input on the back (using the
              clip-on mount) and connect the data cable to the side.

              > 2. Is operation of the Nuvi the same as always except I will see other
              > stations pop-up on the screen?

              The top menu item gets changed to 'Dispatch' and whatever was there
              before ('Favorites' I think) gets moved down a level under that menu.

              > 3. Will I be able to see comments in the APRS data for the station or
              > just the location? If so, how do you access the comments?

              Yes, you can see comments by bringing up the favorites screen. No way
              to get there directly from the map, I'm afraid. Just had that debate
              with Garmin today.

              > 4. I've read something about the stations that display on the Nuvi
              > screen not going away even if they are old. Is that correct? How do
              > they get cleared out?

              Right, you can only erase them manually at this point. Still trying to
              talk them into a 'delete' function for the FMI interface.

              > 5. When firmware updates come out for the Nuvi, that should not break
              > any functionality should it (is it firmware independent)?

              No promises there. Garmin's alread 'fixed' the waypoint upload function
              in other products. The 350 is close to end-of-life, though, and I don't
              think they'll make many updates to it. Plus, they know I'm a little
              vocal about those features and they'll never hear the end of it if they
              break the one model that works fully!

              > 6. For those guys that have implemented this setup in your vehicle,
              > would you recommend that I go with it or with my original idea of just
              > having a basic tracker (TT3) with another GPS receiver? What do you
              > like/dislike about the your setup?

              If you're not going with the T2, I'd suggest an OT1+. Cheaper than a
              TT3, still open source, and does some basic waypoint output too.

              > 7. Sorry for all the questions. I will be ordering soon, and want to
              > make the right decision. Is there a document that discusses my above
              > questions about the Nuvi integration? I have read through the OT2 manual.

              I wrote up a quick blurb for the manual, but it's not well documented yet.

              Scott
            • Brent Gay
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                Thanks guys for the responses! I do have some other questions.

                In everyday, practical use how do you manage all the waypoints building up? Do you go in there after a day/week/month and just delete them all?

                Also, with a mobile station, does it draw the icon everytime it hears a packet so you could have one station with several icons on the screen? Does that create separate waypoints that need top be deleted?

                Thanks again! It looks like the OT2 is the way I will go. I guess the only other thing I will need besides the tracker is the data cable for the Nuvi, correct?

                Brent, KF4JZY

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Brent Gay <brentgay@...> wrote:

                  > In everyday, practical use how do you manage all the waypoints building up?
                  > Do you go in there after a day/week/month and just delete them all?

                  Or every 6 months to a year... if you live in an area where you never
                  hear more than 50 or 60 stations total!

                  > Also, with a mobile station, does it draw the icon everytime it hears a
                  > packet so you could have one station with several icons on the screen? Does
                  > that create separate waypoints that need top be deleted?

                  Totally depends on the GPS unit's implementation of the $GPWPL string.
                  Some overwrite, some change the waypoint name and create new
                  waypoints. Sometimes this changes in the same unit with firmware
                  updates. It's kind of like APRS... there's a defined sentence
                  structure, but no defined client implementation, so it's up to the
                  people writing the software as to how to display stuff.

                  > Thanks again! It looks like the OT2 is the way I will go. I guess the only
                  > other thing I will need besides the tracker is the data cable for the Nuvi,
                  > correct?

                  That should get you going. The OpenTracker is the way to go.

                  (The previous statement is an advertisement paid for by Argent Data
                  Systems. Okay, I can dream, can't I?)

                • Curtis J. Bidulock
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                    RE: [tracker2] Newbie Questions

                    Using the Nuvi 350 with the OT2, waypoints are updated and not duplicated so you still only have one waypoint of the APRS station. Very slick setup, and I am very happy that I went this direction.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                      Thanks everyone (again) for the great help. The OT2 is what I will be going with. I am looking forward to it.

                      Brent

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                        This is the main deficiency with the other Nuvi models - they generate
                        duplicate waypoints. For the 350, I've never had to clear the memory.
                        There are only so many stations around here, so after a few days of use
                        the database size is fairly constant.

                        Scott

                        Curtis J. Bidulock wrote:

                        > Using the Nuvi 350 with the OT2, waypoints are updated and not
                        > duplicated so you still only have one waypoint of the APRS station. Very
                        > slick setup, and I am very happy that I went this direction.

                      • Christopher Snell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                          If money is not the primary consideration, what's the best GPS to use
                          for mobile APRS tracking in conjunction with the T2?

                          GPSMAP 376C maybe?

                          Chris

                          On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                          > This is the main deficiency with the other Nuvi models - they generate
                          > duplicate waypoints. For the 350, I've never had to clear the memory.
                          > There are only so many stations around here, so after a few days of use
                          > the database size is fairly constant.
                        • Joe Krout
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                            A couple of things that will help with waypoint management.

                            Use the --MAXRANGE command to limit distance to plot stations around
                            you.
                            I use 25 miles in Kansas City. I also use a 0 gain antenna (cheap
                            quarter wave)

                            First thing in the morning, I clear all waypoints from the Nuvi 350.
                            This clears out old stations and stations "passing through" Trucks and
                            other vehicles from out of the area.

                          • Lyle Tanner
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 22, 2008
                              I have my "max range" set to 20 miles. The OT2 will only send
                              waypoints to my Nuvi 350 if they are within a 20 mile radius of my
                              current position. This helps keep the waypoint clutter down in the city.

                              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "James Ewen" <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                              > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Brent Gay <brentgay@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > In everyday, practical use how do you manage all the waypoints
                              building up?
                              > > Do you go in there after a day/week/month and just delete them all?
                              >
                              > Or every 6 months to a year... if you live in an area where you never
                              > hear more than 50 or 60 stations total!
                              >
                              > > Also, with a mobile station, does it draw the icon everytime it
                              hears a
                              > > packet so you could have one station with several icons on the
                              screen? Does
                              > > that create separate waypoints that need top be deleted?
                              >
                              > Totally depends on the GPS unit's implementation of the $GPWPL string.
                              > Some overwrite, some change the waypoint name and create new
                              > waypoints. Sometimes this changes in the same unit with firmware
                              > updates. It's kind of like APRS... there's a defined sentence
                              > structure, but no defined client implementation, so it's up to the
                              > people writing the software as to how to display stuff.
                              >
                              > > Thanks again! It looks like the OT2 is the way I will go. I guess
                              the only
                              > > other thing I will need besides the tracker is the data cable for
                              the Nuvi,
                              > > correct?
                              >
                              > That should get you going. The OpenTracker is the way to go.
                              >
                              > (The previous statement is an advertisement paid for by Argent Data
                              > Systems. Okay, I can dream, can't I?)
                              >
                              > James
                              > VE6SRV

                            • Steven Palm
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 23, 2008
                                On Apr 23, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Joe Krout wrote:
                                > A couple of things that will help with waypoint management.

                                I know the Nüvi 350 is EOL, so they aren't going to put much into
                                development for it, but...

                                Even if they allowed you to organize your waypoints/favorites into
                                groups, then perhaps you could store "personal" locations into a
                                folder, and have the tracker plot waypoints into another one and
                                delete the folder in one pass without affecting your personal
                                waypoints. I know the Mio C310x I picked up for my wife does this and
                                works well (well, for waypoint management, it doesn't support waypoint
                                plotting from the tracker2 :)

                                > Use the --MAXRANGE command to limit distance to plot stations around
                                > you.

                                Great idea, thanks! Does this setting survive power cycles? I'm a
                                little fuzzy on the interaction between OTA commands, console commands
                                and settings in the config program.

                                Steve
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 23, 2008
                                  All of those commands act on the non-volatile configuration memory, so
                                  they'll all persist across resets. Console commands, over-the-air
                                  messages, and FMI messages are all handled by exactly the same processor
                                  - there are some restrictions to keep the remote and FMI commands from
                                  doing anything potentially harmful like entering calibrate mode and
                                  getting stuck there.

                                  Scott

                                  Steven Palm wrote:

                                  > On Apr 23, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Joe Krout wrote:
                                  > > A couple of things that will help with waypoint management.
                                  >
                                  > I know the Nüvi 350 is EOL, so they aren't going to put much into
                                  > development for it, but...
                                  >
                                  > Even if they allowed you to organize your waypoints/favorites into
                                  > groups, then perhaps you could store "personal" locations into a
                                  > folder, and have the tracker plot waypoints into another one and
                                  > delete the folder in one pass without affecting your personal
                                  > waypoints. I know the Mio C310x I picked up for my wife does this and
                                  > works well (well, for waypoint management, it doesn't support waypoint
                                  > plotting from the tracker2 :)
                                  >
                                  > > Use the --MAXRANGE command to limit distance to plot stations around
                                  > > you.
                                  >
                                  > Great idea, thanks! Does this setting survive power cycles? I'm a
                                  > little fuzzy on the interaction between OTA commands, console commands
                                  > and settings in the config program.
                                  >
                                  > Steve

                                • Brent Gay
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 23, 2008
                                    Sounds like a lot of flexibility. I'm placing my order today.

                                    Brent