Re: [tracker2] Y cables

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
      > The only limitation as I recall is that you can only get the terminal
      > mode/interactive config mode on one port.

      Mostly right. Terminal mode is the only thing that's specific to one
      port, but for the most part it expects only one input of any given type.
      For example, plugging in two Peet Bros weather stations is likely to
      cause problems. KISS should be OK as long as you don't have both hosts
      transmitting at the same instant.

      Scott
    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2008
        I use (my homebrewed) cable for:
        - port A goes to a laptop running aprsd as iGate
        - port B goes to a Weather station
        the board itself is acting as a digipeater.

        de Paulus - N5SNN

        --- Steven Rhodes <k7faq@...> wrote:

        > Can someone offer me some insight as to my needing
        > one of these? I just ordered the Open Tracker 2 and
        > a GPS. I've not had any replies to my earlier
        > posted question "Newbie Questions".
        >
        > Thank you for any assistance.
        >
        > Steven, k7faq

        0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        > -->
        >
        > <!--
        >
        > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
        > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
        > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
        > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
        > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        > #ygrp-text{
        > font-family:Georgia;
        > }
        > #ygrp-text p{
        > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        > font-family:Arial;
        > clear:both;}
        > #ygrp-vitnav{

        > #ygrp-vitnav a{
        > padding:0 1px;}
        > #ygrp-actbar{
        > clear:both;margin:25px
        > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
        > #ygrp-actbar .left{
        > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        > #ygrp-grft{
        > #ygrp-ft{
        > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
        > solid #666;
        > padding:5px 0;
        > }
        > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        > padding-bottom:10px;}
        >
        > #ygrp-vital{

        background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px

      • Bryan A. Thompson
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2008
          We use ours in a tracking vehicle for a balloon chase.

          It allows us to use the Tracker2 as an APRS data decoder to decode the
          transmissions the balloon is sending us (important for areas without
          phone internet coverage). I still think the Tracker2 does a way
          better job of packet decoding than a sound card.

          It also allows us to connect a GPS to the Tracker2. This means that
          the chase vehicle is trackable during the chase, so everyone knows
          where everyone else is.

          It also allows us to connect a USB GPS (indirectly) to the Tracker2.
          We wrote a custom app that converts the Garmin binary string from the
          GPS to NMEA, and to send the NMEA string coming from the USB GPS to a
          second serial port on the laptop, connected by a second Null Modem
          cable to the Tracker2.

          Bryan A. Thompson

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Steven Rhodes <k7faq@...> wrote:

          > Can someone offer me some insight as to my needing one of these? I
          just ordered the Open Tracker 2 and a GPS. I've not had any replies
          to my earlier posted question "Newbie Questions".

          > Thank you for any assistance.
          >
          > Steven, k7faq

          Mobile. Try it now.

          > <!--
          >
          > #ygrp-mkp{
          0px;padding:0px 14px;}
          > #ygrp-mkp hr{
          > border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          > #ygrp-mkp #hd{

          0px;}
          > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> [...]
        • usna71
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2008
            Hello:
            We are working on a balloon project and trying to send back location data from the
            balloon running a VX-3 and Tracker2 along with telemetry data. It seems like the dual
            ports would allow this, but only if we know how to the data interleaves. I have seen little
            teasers in the manual that talk about using CTS/RTS on one port and also using KISS for
            just sending ASCII data strings. Any ideas on how we can mix GPS data on one port and
            telemetry data on the other? Is there another way?

            Bill Brown

            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2008
              Depends on what you mean by telemetry. If you just want to send
              arbitrary strings from an external source like a BASIC stamp or
              something, put that on port A and use the BEACON command or put it in
              CONVERSE mode. Hook the GPS up to port B (and make sure BMODE is AUTO)
              and it'll do tracking as usual.

              Scott