Re: [tracker2] Y cables

  • Tyson S.
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
      Cool I will have to get a couple of these, I will be interested to see how Hyperterm reacts with these VS my homemade cable since they are wired exactly the same.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
        Can someone offer me some insight as to my needing one of these?  I just ordered the Open Tracker 2 and a GPS.  I've not had any replies to my earlier posted question "Newbie Questions".

        Thank you for any assistance.

        Steven, k7faq

        Cool I will have to get a couple of these, I will be interested to see how Hyperterm reacts with these VS my homemade cable since they are wired exactly the same.

        I have to say I'm very happy with how they came out.

      • Heaton, Brad
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008

          Short answer…  Of all the things you can plug into the serial port on a T2, with one of these cables (or a home brewed one of your own) you can plug two of them in.  For example, you can plug a serial based weather station and a GPS, or a GPS and your computer, or two GPSs (more useful than you might think).  The second serial port is available on certain pins on the one physical Serial port.  This cable splits them into two physical ports.

          The only limitation as I recall is that you can only get the terminal mode/interactive config mode on one port.

          -Brad

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
            It's useful if you want to plug in a GPS and laptop, for example. Or
            GPS and weather station. Or a permanently-mounted NMEA GPS and a
            removable Garmin GPS.

            I'm way behind on email today, so I may have missed your other messages.
            Give me a bit, I'm trying to get caught up.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
              > The only limitation as I recall is that you can only get the terminal
              > mode/interactive config mode on one port.

              Mostly right. Terminal mode is the only thing that's specific to one
              port, but for the most part it expects only one input of any given type.
              For example, plugging in two Peet Bros weather stations is likely to
              cause problems. KISS should be OK as long as you don't have both hosts
              transmitting at the same instant.

              Scott
            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2008
                I use (my homebrewed) cable for:
                - port A goes to a laptop running aprsd as iGate
                - port B goes to a Weather station
                the board itself is acting as a digipeater.

                de Paulus - N5SNN

                --- Steven Rhodes <k7faq@...> wrote:

                > Can someone offer me some insight as to my needing
                > one of these? I just ordered the Open Tracker 2 and
                > a GPS. I've not had any replies to my earlier
                > posted question "Newbie Questions".
                >
                > Thank you for any assistance.
                >
                > Steven, k7faq

                0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                > -->
                >
                > <!--
                >
                > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
                > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
                > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
                > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                > #ygrp-text{
                > font-family:Georgia;
                > }
                > #ygrp-text p{
                > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                > font-family:Arial;
                > clear:both;}
                > #ygrp-vitnav{

                > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                > padding:0 1px;}
                > #ygrp-actbar{
                > clear:both;margin:25px
                > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
                > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                > #ygrp-grft{
                > #ygrp-ft{
                > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
                > solid #666;
                > padding:5px 0;
                > }
                > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                > padding-bottom:10px;}
                >
                > #ygrp-vital{

                background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px

              • Bryan A. Thompson
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2008
                  We use ours in a tracking vehicle for a balloon chase.

                  It allows us to use the Tracker2 as an APRS data decoder to decode the
                  transmissions the balloon is sending us (important for areas without
                  phone internet coverage). I still think the Tracker2 does a way
                  better job of packet decoding than a sound card.

                  It also allows us to connect a GPS to the Tracker2. This means that
                  the chase vehicle is trackable during the chase, so everyone knows
                  where everyone else is.

                  It also allows us to connect a USB GPS (indirectly) to the Tracker2.
                  We wrote a custom app that converts the Garmin binary string from the
                  GPS to NMEA, and to send the NMEA string coming from the USB GPS to a
                  second serial port on the laptop, connected by a second Null Modem
                  cable to the Tracker2.

                  Bryan A. Thompson

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Steven Rhodes <k7faq@...> wrote:

                  > Can someone offer me some insight as to my needing one of these? I
                  just ordered the Open Tracker 2 and a GPS. I've not had any replies
                  to my earlier posted question "Newbie Questions".

                  > Thank you for any assistance.
                  >
                  > Steven, k7faq

                  Mobile. Try it now.

                  > <!--
                  >
                  > #ygrp-mkp{
                  0px;padding:0px 14px;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp hr{
                  > border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp #hd{

                  0px;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> [...]
                • usna71
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 30, 2008
                    Hello:
                    We are working on a balloon project and trying to send back location data from the
                    balloon running a VX-3 and Tracker2 along with telemetry data. It seems like the dual
                    ports would allow this, but only if we know how to the data interleaves. I have seen little
                    teasers in the manual that talk about using CTS/RTS on one port and also using KISS for
                    just sending ASCII data strings. Any ideas on how we can mix GPS data on one port and
                    telemetry data on the other? Is there another way?

                    Bill Brown

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 30, 2008
                      Depends on what you mean by telemetry. If you just want to send
                      arbitrary strings from an external source like a BASIC stamp or
                      something, put that on port A and use the BEACON command or put it in
                      CONVERSE mode. Hook the GPS up to port B (and make sure BMODE is AUTO)
                      and it'll do tracking as usual.

                      Scott