COMMS Error

  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
      Dear all,

      I was trying to hook up my T2 Proto C board to a
      UI-View system, in KISS mode, but when there is a data
      stream coming in, I got:

      *** COMMS ERROR - Break Received
      *** COMMS ERROR - Framing Error

      on the UI-View panel.

      I am using a 3-wire serial cable, hooked up to the
      Port A (port B is used for a weather station).

      Serial setting is 9600,8,N,1

      What else I need to do to eliminate that error? Wire
      up as 5-wire serial?

      de Paulus N5SNN

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
        Paulus N5SNN wrote...

        > I was trying to hook up my T2 Proto C board to a
        > UI-View system, in KISS mode, but when there is a data
        > stream coming in, I got:
        > *** COMMS ERROR - Break Received
        > *** COMMS ERROR - Framing Error
        > on the UI-View panel.

        I'm running a T2-135 in KISS mode in UI-View right now. First I connect
        a terminal program and send the following commands to the T2-135...

        First, the T2-135 itself with it connected to a terminal program at the
        default 4800N81...

        AMODE AUTO
        DIGI OFF
        INT 0
        PATH %
        QUIET 16
        TXD 32
        TXL 200
        USEALIAS <n> OFF (all of them)
        RESET

        These settings set the serial port to "auto" rather than to KISS mode,
        tell it not to digi on MYCALL, tell it not to beacon, remove the path
        (not really necessary), tell it to wait ~ 15 ms of "quiet time" before
        transmitting, sets the TXDelay to 32 (about 213 ms), turns the transmit
        level down a bit, makes sure it won't digipeat on any of the ALIAS
        settings if any are entered (e.g. USEALIAS 1 OFF, USEALIAS 2 OFF etc.)
        and then does a reset. I found that when set from a terminal program the
        new TXLevel didn't take effect until after a reset. This only needs to
        be done once.

        Then in UI-View, I set it to 4800N81 (as opposed to your 9600) on the
        correct com port, select KISS and click on the KISS Setup and enter...

        Into KISS
        1 MONITOR OFF
        2 INTERVAL 0
        3 AMODE KISS

        EXIT KISS
        003,003,003

        The TXDelay set by UI-View doesn't seem to make any difference, but I
        set it to 32, the same as I set in a terminal program. Turning MON OFF
        probably isn't necessary. The INT 0 makes sure the T2 won't beacon on
        its own (again not necessary if set previously), and finally AMODE KISS
        puts it in KISS mode. The magic was the 003,003,003 to take it out of
        KISS mode if UI-View is ever shut down. Without this, I found that
        UI-View would hang and the com port wouldn't be released when exiting
        UI-View. Of course, about the only time I ever shut it down is for
        testing or the odd Windows Update that requires a reboot.

        > I am using a 3-wire serial cable, hooked up to the
        > Port A (port B is used for a weather station).
        > Serial setting is 9600,8,N,1
        > What else I need to do to eliminate that error? Wire
        > up as 5-wire serial?

        I'm actually using a full serial cable, but just ground, transmit data
        and receive data are needed.

        I always open up the terminal window in UI-View so I can see what's
        going on when making changes. It makes it easy to see the commands sent
        to the T2 when changes are made, and to see what is being received and
        transmitted. I use the filter to filter to exclude Internet traffic, so
        I'm just looking at what is going to and from the T2-135.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
          Make sure the baud rate on the T2 is set to 9600 baud as well.

          Scott