Re: this is weird...

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      > Sounds like you've got the ground and data lines switched. It's
      > intended to be connected with a phone cable, with the red and green
      > wires swapped. Could be it's also introducing a lot of noise into the
      > system that's hosing the RX side.

      I think that the RX problem had more to do with the coronal mass
      ejection and K=5 ... it seems better now.

      But the cabling issue is puzzling. I used the cable that came in the box
      with the AAG station. I'm not really up to speed on the RJ numbering
      conventions, so bear with my physical description:

      They're 6-position connectors, with only the middle 2 in use. I guess
      (thanks, Wikipedia) that makes it a 6P2C? Pin 3 is blue, pin 4 is red,
      same on both connectors.

      Does that have the swap you're after, or does it count as straight-through?

      73,
      chris
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
        You only need 2 conductors, and they should be the middle ones. In a
        standard phone cable, they'll be red and green. Look at the two ends
        side by side - the order of the colors should be reversed.

        Scott

        Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

        > > Sounds like you've got the ground and data lines switched. It's
        > > intended to be connected with a phone cable, with the red and green
        > > wires swapped. Could be it's also introducing a lot of noise into the
        > > system that's hosing the RX side.
        >
        > I think that the RX problem had more to do with the coronal mass
        > ejection and K=5 ... it seems better now.
        >
        > But the cabling issue is puzzling. I used the cable that came in the box
        > with the AAG station. I'm not really up to speed on the RJ numbering
        > conventions, so bear with my physical description:
        >
        > They're 6-position connectors, with only the middle 2 in use. I guess
        > (thanks, Wikipedia) that makes it a 6P2C? Pin 3 is blue, pin 4 is red,
        > same on both connectors.
        >
        > Does that have the swap you're after, or does it count as straight-through?
        >
        > 73,
        > chris

      • Chris Kantarjiev
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

          > You only need 2 conductors, and they should be the middle ones. In a
          > standard phone cable, they'll be red and green. Look at the two ends
          > side by side - the order of the colors should be reversed.

          Aha. The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to
          choose from!

          The cable provided by AAG doesn't flip the conductors. I swiped a
          phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
          up until I unplugged the station.

          I remembered that there is a jumper inside the AAG station that has
          something to do with the 5V supply and guessed that it might be
          starts up OK.

          cmd:devlist
          1-Wire Bus Scan:
          206FF90600000054
          10E63F1B00080051
          1D058601000000F0

          yay.

          cmd:1wirewx on
          1WIREWX ON
          cmd:wxinfo
          TEMP:55

          yay.

          cmd:wxinfo
          TEMP:55 WIND 225 AT 0 GUST 0 *

          yay - this is sitting inside, so the wind information is bogus.

          Now I plug the RH sensor into the AAG station:

          cmd:devlist
          1-Wire Bus Scan:
          206FF90600000054
          10E63F1B00080051
          26116C5A000000FE
          1D058601000000F0

          yay.

          But ...

          cmd:wxinfo
          TEMP:55 WIND 225 AT 0 GUST 0 *

          What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
          (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?

          Thanks,
          chris
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
            > phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
            > up until I unplugged the station.

            Oh yeah, if you're using a 4-conductor cable you'll want to take that
            jumper out. Thankfully the thermistor prevents shorts like that from
            doing any permanent damage!

            > What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
            > (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?

            * means it's completed the cycle and has a complete set of parameters.
            I can't remember if I got RH into the WXINFO display or not.. it was
            taking up a lot of code space for what's mostly a diagnostic feature.

            Scott
          • Chris Kantarjiev
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008

              > > phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
              > > up until I unplugged the station.
              >
              > Oh yeah, if you're using a 4-conductor cable you'll want to take that
              > jumper out. Thankfully the thermistor prevents shorts like that from
              > doing any permanent damage!

              Yay. Maybe this stuff needs to go into the T2 manual :-)

              > > What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
              > > (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?
              >
              > * means it's completed the cycle and has a complete set of parameters.
              > I can't remember if I got RH into the WXINFO display or not.. it was
              > taking up a lot of code space for what's mostly a diagnostic feature.

              OK. I had to steal the cable from the DSL hookup, so I don't currently
              have enough wires to have everything working at the same time. More
              testing will have to wait.
            • Chris Kantarjiev
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                I'm now getting a yellow blink on the LED every few seconds. Is that
                normal? Is that the 1-wire bus being polled, perhaps?
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
                  That should be indicating a complete weather fix. Should be every 5
                  seconds or so, mostly depending on how long the integration period for
                  the anemometer is.

                  Scott