Re: [tracker2] this is weird...

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
      Sounds like you've got the ground and data lines switched. It's
      intended to be connected with a phone cable, with the red and green
      wires swapped. Could be it's also introducing a lot of noise into the
      system that's hosing the RX side.

      Scott

      Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

      > I'm having two problems with my Proto C unit today.
      >
      > 1. I just got an AAG 1-wire station, and plugged it into the front
      > panel. When I say "DEVLIST", I get a long list of IDs that is slowly
      > (but not regularly) increasing.
      >
      > This is not what I expected. What have I done wrong?
      >
      > 2. Suddenly, the unit isn't decoding anything except the strongest
      > (S9+20) signals. I can hear lots of good clean signals on the radio's
      > speakers, the green LED is flashing, but no packets are being handed up
      > the KISS connection.
      >
      > Help?
      >
      > 73 de chris K6DBG

    • Chris Kantarjiev
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 10:10 AM
        > Sounds like you've got the ground and data lines switched. It's
        > intended to be connected with a phone cable, with the red and green
        > wires swapped. Could be it's also introducing a lot of noise into the
        > system that's hosing the RX side.

        I think that the RX problem had more to do with the coronal mass
        ejection and K=5 ... it seems better now.

        But the cabling issue is puzzling. I used the cable that came in the box
        with the AAG station. I'm not really up to speed on the RJ numbering
        conventions, so bear with my physical description:

        They're 6-position connectors, with only the middle 2 in use. I guess
        (thanks, Wikipedia) that makes it a 6P2C? Pin 3 is blue, pin 4 is red,
        same on both connectors.

        Does that have the swap you're after, or does it count as straight-through?

        73,
        chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 10:50 AM
          You only need 2 conductors, and they should be the middle ones. In a
          standard phone cable, they'll be red and green. Look at the two ends
          side by side - the order of the colors should be reversed.

          Scott

          Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

          > > Sounds like you've got the ground and data lines switched. It's
          > > intended to be connected with a phone cable, with the red and green
          > > wires swapped. Could be it's also introducing a lot of noise into the
          > > system that's hosing the RX side.
          >
          > I think that the RX problem had more to do with the coronal mass
          > ejection and K=5 ... it seems better now.
          >
          > But the cabling issue is puzzling. I used the cable that came in the box
          > with the AAG station. I'm not really up to speed on the RJ numbering
          > conventions, so bear with my physical description:
          >
          > They're 6-position connectors, with only the middle 2 in use. I guess
          > (thanks, Wikipedia) that makes it a 6P2C? Pin 3 is blue, pin 4 is red,
          > same on both connectors.
          >
          > Does that have the swap you're after, or does it count as straight-through?
          >
          > 73,
          > chris

        • Chris Kantarjiev
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 1:01 PM

            > You only need 2 conductors, and they should be the middle ones. In a
            > standard phone cable, they'll be red and green. Look at the two ends
            > side by side - the order of the colors should be reversed.

            Aha. The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to
            choose from!

            The cable provided by AAG doesn't flip the conductors. I swiped a
            phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
            up until I unplugged the station.

            I remembered that there is a jumper inside the AAG station that has
            something to do with the 5V supply and guessed that it might be
            starts up OK.

            cmd:devlist
            1-Wire Bus Scan:
            206FF90600000054
            10E63F1B00080051
            1D058601000000F0

            yay.

            cmd:1wirewx on
            1WIREWX ON
            cmd:wxinfo
            TEMP:55

            yay.

            cmd:wxinfo
            TEMP:55 WIND 225 AT 0 GUST 0 *

            yay - this is sitting inside, so the wind information is bogus.

            Now I plug the RH sensor into the AAG station:

            cmd:devlist
            1-Wire Bus Scan:
            206FF90600000054
            10E63F1B00080051
            26116C5A000000FE
            1D058601000000F0

            yay.

            But ...

            cmd:wxinfo
            TEMP:55 WIND 225 AT 0 GUST 0 *

            What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
            (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?

            Thanks,
            chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 1:33 PM
              > phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
              > up until I unplugged the station.

              Oh yeah, if you're using a 4-conductor cable you'll want to take that
              jumper out. Thankfully the thermistor prevents shorts like that from
              doing any permanent damage!

              > What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
              > (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?

              * means it's completed the cycle and has a complete set of parameters.
              I can't remember if I got RH into the WXINFO display or not.. it was
              taking up a lot of code space for what's mostly a diagnostic feature.

              Scott
            • Chris Kantarjiev
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1 3:05 PM

                > > phone cable and plugged in the station ... and the T2 wouldn't start
                > > up until I unplugged the station.
                >
                > Oh yeah, if you're using a 4-conductor cable you'll want to take that
                > jumper out. Thankfully the thermistor prevents shorts like that from
                > doing any permanent damage!

                Yay. Maybe this stuff needs to go into the T2 manual :-)

                > > What's the asterisk mean? Do I need to wait longer to see some RH info
                > > (and data from the temp sensor that is onboard)?
                >
                > * means it's completed the cycle and has a complete set of parameters.
                > I can't remember if I got RH into the WXINFO display or not.. it was
                > taking up a lot of code space for what's mostly a diagnostic feature.

                OK. I had to steal the cable from the DSL hookup, so I don't currently
                have enough wires to have everything working at the same time. More
                testing will have to wait.
              • Chris Kantarjiev
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3 9:34 AM
                  I'm now getting a yellow blink on the LED every few seconds. Is that
                  normal? Is that the 1-wire bus being polled, perhaps?
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3 9:37 AM
                    That should be indicating a complete weather fix. Should be every 5
                    seconds or so, mostly depending on how long the integration period for
                    the anemometer is.

                    Scott